Z3 PAS cooling loop

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Agammemnon

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Z3 PAS cooling loop

Post by Agammemnon »

Hi- I'm new around here so please be gentle when I ask what might be a silly question.

My PAS cooling loop is rusty & needs replacing. Instead of the OEM part which will rust again given time, is there any advantage or disadvantage to using a 7/10/13 row alloy oil cooler? What size connections would the hoses need to be? (2002 2.2)

Thanks in advance.
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Z3 PAS cooling loop

Post by colb »

I would have thought placing an oil cooler in front of the radiator would block some of the air flow to the radiator and may cause overheating. What about making a replacement cooling loop using copper pipe if you don't want to replace it with a stock steel pipe?
Not sure what size the fittings are. Check out the lower pipes leading to the pump that the loop connects to, they get crusty and can fracture the pipes when you come to undo them.
You could try Pirtech who make hydraulic hoses to see if they can make you up a custom loop and connectors.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I wouldn't be too concerned about the cooling effect of the loop. Have you ever felt any heat in the pipe? - I haven't.

I doubt there would be any serious problems if you just bypassed the loop, especially in a temperate climate. If you were in the Gulf, it would be a different matter.
Pingu
BeemerBoyo

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BeemerBoyo »

I had mine replaced 4 years ago shortly after I got my car (2.2 Sport as well) My local BMW Independent dealer did it for me and replaced all the rubber mounts and 2 new flexible couplings plus new power steering fluid, all components were original so 11 years old at the time. Was not expensive, I can fish the receipt out if you need and idea. Mine had many stone chips on it which were badly corroded and a couple of them, if they got another ding off a rock, would certainly start to leak. It was not an expensive job and some good preventative maintenence. Just stick to OEM, if you are concerned about it failing while out and about (we do several long road trips a year) then its a no brainer. AW Autoworks in Teesside do all my service work on both my BMW's. Ex BMW service staff but only £50 an hour labour charge. Let me know if you need any more information.
2002 E37 BMW Z3 2.2 Sport
2008 E93 BMW 3 series 325i m sport convertible

Previous BMW cars

2007 E87 BMW 1 series 120D
2013 F21 BMW 1 series 120D
Agammemnon

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Agammemnon »

Sounds like I just need OEM- thanks for the advice.