Head Gasket blown again?! Advice needed

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Robin82

Z3 roadster 1.9

Head Gasket blown again?! Advice needed

Post by Robin82 »

So after having my head gasket fixed almost a year to the day - it seems its blown again!!

The pipe coming from the heater matrix popped off of the engine with a loud bang, refitted the pipe and within 5 miles the engine overheated :(

Clearly air or exhaust gas getting into the cooling system again as the radiator release value when opened acted like a steaming kettle. Opened the radiator cap and the coolent is bubbling. I cannot see it being anything else but the HG as some white smoke out of the exhaust too (not a great deal) and so much pressure building up in such a short time in the cooling system.

I'm absolutely gutted its gone again only a year later, I guess there was always a risk in fixing and not replacing engine.

Just need some advice really, is it time for the scrap yard after 8 great years :( I still feel a strong desire to try and sort it out as I'm very attached and with zeds getting rarer by the month, it seems such a shame. I think this 20+ year mark is seeing the death of a lot of them.

New engine? New head gasket? New zed?
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Re: Head Gasket blown again?! Advice needed

Post by colb »

Depends on how deep your pockets are!
If the rest of the car is in good shape then replace the head and gasket also give the cooling system a refresh with a new water pump and thermostat. Loads of Z's out there for silly money, might be an idea to replace the car and sell the dead one for spares.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V
Robin82

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robin82 »

Do you have an idea what the going rate sold for spares would be colb ? Unfortunaly wouldnt be able to break as a little short on space.
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

If you need to, PM me and I can give you an idea. Not sure it's in your best interest to kick values around on here.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

How long is a piece of string question, depends on condition of all the parts as a whole or individualy. Good interior and seats will always sell as will body panels, always someone out there wanting to refresh theirs. To guage prices have a look at ebay listings for BMW Z3 parts to see what the going rate is. As for selling the whole car for spares or repair Mrscalex will have good advice.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V