REAR SHOCK MOUNTS - need help!!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Gazza

M roadster S54

REAR SHOCK MOUNTS - need help!!

Post by Gazza »

Hi guys, i'm having a problem with the rear shock mounts on my '98 2.8. 2 weeks ago one of the rubber mounts became displaced after i drove over a pothole and the top of the shock absorber was poking through the interior trim behind the passenger seat , a new mounting was fitted, and then last night the rubber mount came out again after driving over another hole in the road (thanks London Borough of Waltham Forest), surely this can't be normal? Please help!!!.

Should i put shock absorber mountings on my christmas list?

:head:

Poking Dampers

Post by Guest »

Assuming that the damper is forcing the rubber piece out of the mounting, I would first look at the bump stops, which are inside the springs, in case they have fallen off. Also make sure the spring has not broken.

If it is only the damper rod poking up, this could mean that the circlip on the damper rod is missing.
Ludo

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by Ludo »

Did you put part 17? if not that could be the reason of your problem:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=33&fg=45

Also when you replace the stock mount you should ask for the rsm off a E46 convertible, they are a bit stiffer. You can also put a reinforcement plate, nopt a bad idea, spray the load on a wider area. :wink:
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Thanks guys, i will check the bump stops to see if they are still in place.

As for part 17, this washer is in place on top of the mount, but i can't see one under the mount as the layout,

Regards - Gary
Ludo

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by Ludo »

garythefish wrote:Thanks guys, i will check the bump stops to see if they are still in place.

As for part 17, this washer is in place on top of the mount, but i can't see one under the mount as the layout,

Regards - Gary
That could be your problem then. Do you still have the plastic protecting the perch? Usually that is used as awasher but it might be damaged.
Last edited by Ludo on Mon 10 Oct, 2005 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Hi Ludo, i don't understand which parts you mean? are they on the drawing?
Regards - Gary.
Ludo

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by Ludo »

part 4 on the drawing.
4, 5, 6 should look like one and only piece on your car.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Yes, everything looks as it should, new mounts have just arrived so i will fit the new mounts, cross my fingers and try to avoid any holes in the road,
once again thanks for your advise.
Regards - Gary.
Ludo

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by Ludo »

garythefish wrote:Yes, everything looks as it should, new mounts have just arrived so i will fit the new mounts, cross my fingers and try to avoid any holes in the road,
once again thanks for your advise.
Regards - Gary.
If I was you I would put a washer under it too, just to be on a safe side. I don't think they are supposed to pop out like that!