Frosty mornings and plastic rear windows....

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
X958

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Frosty mornings and plastic rear windows....

Post by X958 »

First frosty morning of the year up here in Manchester. After replacing my rear window earlier this year I am very wary about scratching it up again.

How do those of us who park outside clear their rear windows on a frosty morning? Today I just left it alone and waited for the heat inside the cabin to thaw it out. I'm not too keen on spraying antifreeze on it - not sure how good it is for the plastic, or for the hood when it drips off.....

Any suggestions?
________
Ford Royale Picture
Last edited by X958 on Mon 14 Feb, 2011 13:55, edited 1 time in total.
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Re: Frosty mornings and plastic rear windows....

Post by ///M_aniac »

X958 wrote:I just left it alone and waited for the heat inside the cabin to thaw it out
This is what I do. It may not be the quickest way to clear the rear window frost, but at least there's no risk of damaging the window!
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
R80TER

M roadster S50

Post by R80TER »

you could use a rubber blade thingy majig. hope u know what i mean!
Now Car less :-(
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

That could scratch window - I would advise against, turn engine on and have another cup of tea while interior cabin temperature defrosts it.
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
R80TER

M roadster S50

Post by R80TER »

as long as the blade is clean i am pretty confident that it will not scratch the screen. espcially if rain-x or similar is applied before. this will make the ice/frost "stick less" if you know what i mean,

thats what i do with mine anyway. if in a few months time i am moaning about a scratched window i will allow you to laugh at me and say "i told you so!"
Now Car less :-(
TonyCal

blank.gif

Post by TonyCal »

Just remember the colder the rear screen is the more brittle it is. Most cracks in the screens are caused by peeps putting the roof down before the screen has warmed up. The same thing could occur with over enthusiastic use of rubber blades etc. I would just leave it untill the cabin temperature warms it sufficiently to melt the frost, thats if my car was left out overnight. Its tucked up nice and warm in its garage normally,so dont get a problem with a frosty rear window :) .
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

I just turn the heated rear window on in mine! :wink: :lol:

I never found misty/frozen rear windows a problem in the Z3 as never tended to rely on the rear window for vision, just use mirrors till it clears.

Rear Window

Post by Guest »

On the few occasions I have had to leave the Zed outside in cold climates (eg W Midlands) I have used a sponge with warm water, whihc removes the frost, and is it freezes afterwards at least one can see throughit reasonably until the centre air vents do their thing - until then treat it like a van, and use the door mirrors.
tags
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by tags »

This may be pretty obvious, but, do not attempt to drop the top whilst it is that cold, you will crack the screen. I have seen this happen as early as 6 in the evening when its been pretty cold throughout the day. I wouldnt try scraping it with anything either. I have my hard top on at the mo, and thas heated. If i didnt, i wouldn't touch the plastic. Instead aim your middle/centre blowers to the back on full blast, that should do it in 10 mins or so.

Tags
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

tags wrote:This may be pretty obvious, but, do not attempt to drop the top whilst it is that cold, you will crack the screen. I have seen this happen as early as 6 in the evening when its been pretty cold throughout the day. I wouldnt try scraping it with anything either. I have my hard top on at the mo, and thas heated. If i didnt, i wouldn't touch the plastic. Instead aim your middle/centre blowers to the back on full blast, that should do it in 10 mins or so.

Tags
It could even be worse than that, haven't people experience splitting the rear screen at just less than 10 degrees sometimes? I know I always feared for it if it was getting a little bit nippy let alone frosty conditions!!
runningback

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by runningback »

the girlfriend bought a tarpaulin for £65 from BMW, no window scratching necessary.
it was made for the Z4 but it fits ok and certainly helps against the frost.