Folding Frame Corrosion

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
IanD22

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Folding Frame Corrosion

Post by IanD22 »

Hi,

I have a 2002 2.2i Z3 and the frame which the roof is fixed to has started to corrode where the frount fixes into the top of the window screen. You can only notice the corrosion when the roof is down but it doesn't look very good as the paint has started to come off.
Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it?
I tryed to get BMW to do it under warranty but they were having none of it which is a bit dissapointing as a new frame would cost £1370 and then theres the labour for someone to fit it. :cry:

Any answers would be much appreciated as it bugs me when the roof is down. :evil:

Cheers

Ian
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Welcome to the forum Ian.

I've never heard of corrosion at that spot before, and quite unacceptable on a younger Zed.

Can you post some pics?

BMW anti-corrosion warranty lasts for six years, but I believe only covers structural elements and bodywork. The roof on a soft top is considered as trim and therefore not covered. Stupid really, coz if it wasn't a soft top, that area would be covered!

I would have another go and tell them that ANY corrosion on a 4 year old BMW is not acceptable. If that doesn't work, then maybe try another dealer.

Good luck and keep us posted.

A.
Alex L

Other roadster

Post by Alex L »

Mine has corroded too on the leading edge of the roof where the catches are. The black thin paint has peeled to reveal the silver metal finish underneath. I am on the lookout for a replacement hood with frame so it hasn't bothered me. Nothing that some black hammerite wouldn't solve though
tags
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by tags »

Didn't Stu have a similar issue with his roof?

Tags