Zeds Dead Baby, Zeds Dead!!!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
SuzyZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Zeds Dead Baby, Zeds Dead!!!

Post by SuzyZ3 »

Oh my god!!! After having my beloved sexy black beast for exactly one year, he has now passed away!!

Some t**t has written it off!! (????) I got a knock at my front door, and a man said that he left his hand brake off, rolled down and 'scratched' my car... I put my shoes on, went outside, and it was a lot more than a scratch!! It has been moved sideways almost a metre from where it was parked! :(

I would need a new door, wing, bonnet, sill, suspension, and something else that I am not sure of, but its very difficult to change gear (auto). Something must be bent underneath. Its not drivable, and everyone assumes its a right off. Its not been inspected/picked up yet.. fingers crossed he will be ok.. The bloke who did it thinks it will be, the boyfriend thinks it will be, and so does dad! It doesn't LOOK like it will be, but there is something twisted underneath, as well as the suspension.. :bawl:

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :( :( :( :( :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LP

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by LP »

really sorry to hear that suzi, am gutted for you. I would be livid if it was mine. Hope it all works out ok.
LP
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Remember it is just a replaceable car, so get it written off if the resale might be affected due to the repairs.

Terrible luck, especially if the floor is broken and you need to find another to fall in love with.

Perhaps I'll leave my car in gear as I live up a hill now.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

:bawl:

I can't believe that's a write-off, but I guess it depends on the hidden damage.
Good luck getting it fixed.

A.
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

Gutted to see that :shock: until the hidden damaged is found, hard to believe they will write it off..
On the upside.. only metal and Thank goodness he came and told you/owned up, I've heard of too many people finding the damage done and no note..
Best of luck getting it sorted, could be time to shop for a new motor :P

garyw
Kipper

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Kipper »

My sympathies,
It's hard to guage the damage without getting it on a ramp, whether it's a write off depends on repair cost v value. Wait til it's been assessed, if you have to replace it there's plenty of good ones about.

I know this isn't much consolation, these are more than cars to us, we cherish them and form attachments. I hope it can be fixed and quickly.

I had a BMW 2002 years ago parked roadside, just spent a packet getting it resprayed orange ( was lime green, that's the 70's ) a trailer unhitched from a car and wrote it off. First I knew was a neighbour knocked on my door, the bast*** who did it just re hitched his trailer and buggered off.

I was able to trace him and got the insurance, can't say it was fair compensation as I only got book price.
Tourniquet

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tourniquet »

From the impact location the tracking has likely been knocked to hell, that will make it drive really badly. If your lucky that might be the extent of the drivability problems but :( .

On the bright side, if it is written off you can upgrade to one of the six pots :P
Convert to the church of "nice shiny engine bay"
All hail the shiny engine bay.

Write-Off?

Post by Guest »

One of the advantages of being an American car is that except for the screen frame and the bit between the hood and bot lid, all the Z3 panels are just window-dressing. The real bosy is about two inches inside, so minimising the real damage frmo this type of incident. So - I would not be surprised if it is repairable, uless the cost/value equation works against this course of action.

The real cause of this accident seems to have been the other driver not leaving his car in gear, which seems to be a failing of many modern drivers. I understand that driving instructors teach pupils to leave the car in neutral, which is ridiculous, particullarly in a car such as a VW Golf or new Mini, where the handbrake operates on the rear disc pads, and is therefore inherantly unreliable.

VW issued a warning to Mk 4 Golf owners to leave the car in gear.

I even know of a new demo Mini, left in neutral after being driven by two approved instructors, whic when the rear calipers cooled down (so easing the handbrake) ran across the dealership's car park, over a pavement and curb, down a 45 degree grassy slope, across a bisy road, over another curb and pavement, down another steep grassy slope, and gently came to rest an inch from the rear wall of the local Homebase! Believ it or not, there was no damage to it!

After hearing this, I checked with my younger relatives, none of whom had been taught to leave the car in gear in case they tried to start in gear and so moved forward a little - pretty thin excuse for bad training, but I suppose the Driving Standards Agency thinks this is a good idea.

Perhaps some of our ADI corespondents such as 321 bhp can convince me otherwise.
komis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by komis »

none of whom had been taught to leave the car in gear in case they tried to start in gear and so moved forward a little
YOU MUST BE KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What kind of COMPLETE IDIOT teaches a new driver to PARK THE CAR IN NEUTRAL for such a STUPID reason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AARRRRRRRGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :head: :head: :head: :head: :head:
wwwwOOOff!!!
flyingalexf68

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by flyingalexf68 »

Thats terrible Suzy. You're lucky the guy didn't drive off though. My advise would be to try your best to get it written off. Get the garage to quote a very high price to fix it. It's hard to sell a car thats been fixed, especially in the UK because there will be a record of it on the HPI checks. Plenty of other nice Zeds around. Good luck.
2001 Z3 2.2i
2000 530d Steptronic
2000 Nissan Patrol SWB Auto
BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

Terribly sorry to hear this Suzy. From the pics, it doesn't look like a write off, but I guess if there is any damage to underneath it might, hard to tell, til it gets inspected. Hope you get it sorted though.

Regarding the parking habits

It's been a long time since I got my license, but I remember being told too not to park in gear and to always leave in neutral, however I use a bit of common sense, when parking on hills, I leave it in gear, just in case.
Paul.Stuhlfelder

M roadster S50

Post by Paul.Stuhlfelder »

Sorry to hear about the car suzy! :head:

komis wrote:
none of whom had been taught to leave the car in gear in case they tried to start in gear and so moved forward a little
What kind of COMPLETE IDIOT teaches a new driver to PARK THE CAR IN NEUTRAL for such a STUPID reason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AARRRRRRRGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :head: :head: :head: :head: :head:
You wouldn't believe it..

My mate who's just passed, jumps in and starts up instantly. I always have a go at him "But I always leave it in neutral."

Yeah, until last time I moved your car, and we jerk when you try and start...
Israel pulls out of Gaza Strip, Gaza not Pregnant!
flyingalexf68

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by flyingalexf68 »

BimBeema wrote:Terribly sorry to hear this Suzy. From the pics, it doesn't look like a write off, but I guess if there is any damage to underneath it might, hard to tell, til it gets inspected. Hope you get it sorted though.

Regarding the parking habits

It's been a long time since I got my license, but I remember being told too not to park in gear and to always leave in neutral, however I use a bit of common sense, when parking on hills, I leave it in gear, just in case.
The propper method for parking on a hill is to turn your front wheels towards the kerb so if the car moves a few inches it will hit the kerb and stop. If there is no kerb, leave it in gear. (although I always leave it in gear)
2001 Z3 2.2i
2000 530d Steptronic
2000 Nissan Patrol SWB Auto
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Suzy,

I am so sorry to hear about this. Terrible, terrible news. :(

I can't believe it is going to be a write off, but make sure you don't pour too much money into it to get it back on the road. There are others--can't believe I'm saying that, as I couldn't live without mine, but you know what I mean. Somewhere in that statement there is an upbeat pragmatism.

I know what losing a car is like though, especially one that's really cared for. I posted about this before on a thread, but just to share -

I had an E21 323i some years ago, bought to me by my uncle on a trip home from Canada. He picked it up in Inverness and then brought it over on a boat.

Could you imagine my joy at being handed the keys to such a rare shark nosed beauty? I was only 15, so couldn't drive it, but that didn't matter. I washed it, polished it weekly. Vacuumed it out, got her alloys refurbished and an oil service done all out of my own pocket money.

As time passed, mum decided she wanted it moved from the driveway, so Dad moved it to his work, where it was stored in a warehouse. This was fine for a few months, until some arsonist come along and set fire to the inside of the building. Unfortunately, the E21 didn't make it.

Loved that car. Still miss it. Still hurts.

I know the pain, suzy, and I really feel for you.

Your Zed isn't dead yet. She still fires and runs. We all wait in hope.

Conor
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

hanging is to good for some people, but it does not seem excesive in this case :twisted:
I have been diagnosed with ADHOTS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh That's Shiney
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

hanging is to good for some people, but it does not seem excesive in this case :twisted:
I have been diagnosed with ADHOTS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh That's Shiney

flyingalex68

Post by Guest »

Alex - what is the point of parking in neutral? By leaving the car in gear you have a fall-back position in case the handbrake fails, as is quite likely, or if you have not pullled it fully on before leaving the car.

I can just imagine the person who savaged Suzie's car telling her that 'After all, I made sure to leave the car in neutral when I parked it!'
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Really sorry to hear/see this Suzy. Don't write it off just yet, wait and see what the real damage is. And be thankful that a) you weren't in it and b) that your friendly neighbourhood t**t's insurance will be paying for it.

As for handbrakes, I normally leave mine in gear with the handbrake off! I have had problems with the handbrake sticking, esp. when it's wet, so I leave it off as a precaution. But then my garage is on the level anyway :D

I was taught to always check that the car is in neutral before starting the engine. I now do this out of habit, even though I'm the only driver. Not a bad habit to have...
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

Sorry to hear this Suzy, but as already said, you at least have an honest neighbour.

Our 5 was swiped in a car park recently and the other person did nothing :roll:

Hope it's all sorted out in a reasonable amount of time.
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
AndyBass
Z Register member

BMW other

Starting in gear

Post by AndyBass »

I once started my beautiful new Suzuki GS 650 Katana in gear outside a pub where all my mates were. Me and a friend had been out for a run and dropped in for a pint. As we came out he put the key in the ignition of his VF750, thumbed the starter button and left it to idle as he put his helmet and gloves on. I did the same, only I had accidentally left it in gear. The engine fired straight away as it was still warm and the bike lurched forwards off the sidestand, nudging me aside as it fell to the floor, engine driving it round in a small circle and grinding the left hand engine cover to atoms. His bike had a sidestand cut out, mine didn't. :head: I felt such a pillock.

Hope you get the car sorted Suzy, good luck.
We all have a photographic memory, just some don't take the lens cap off!
Marvellous

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Marvellous »

:bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :head: :head: :head:

Sorry to hear about your misfortune Suzy, hope it all works out how you would like.

Mick
Z3 2.2 Sport - Honda XR400R.
John Boy
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John Boy »

SuzyZ3 wrote:Thanks for your kind words, and similar stories!

The car is being collected today by coopers bmw. I know it doesn't look like a write off, but knowing the suspension is bent, and also the fact that I can't even put it into a gear, kind of tells me something rather large and exspensive underneath has twisted :(

QUESTION - Can anyone please tell me if I can keep my wheels if this is a write off? As I didn't list them as a mod when insuring it, for the only reason that I thought (as they had bmw badges in the wheels) that they were NOT a modification, but according to the bf, they are.. can I get them back? Also, I have only just put a hardtop fitting kit on the car, will I be able to get that back?

Its a bit late to run out and buy crappy wheels and swap them over!

:bawl: :( :bawl: :( :bawl: :( :bawl: :(
Suzy, so sorry to hear about your car. :(

When my previous car was written off I spoke directly to the garage who had the car for assessment and they allowed me access to the car to get pretty much anything I liked. I would suggest talking to them nicely in person and they may allow you to do the same.

Good luck

JB
John Boy
2.8 Z3
SuzyZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by SuzyZ3 »

Thanks for your kind words, and similar stories!

The car is being collected today by coopers bmw. I know it doesn't look like a write off, but knowing the suspension is bent, and also the fact that I can't even put it into a gear, kind of tells me something rather large and exspensive underneath has twisted :(

QUESTION - Can anyone please tell me if I can keep my wheels if this is a write off? As I didn't list them as a mod when insuring it, for the only reason that I thought (as they had bmw badges in the wheels) that they were NOT a modification, but according to the bf, they are.. can I get them back? Also, I have only just put a hardtop fitting kit on the car, will I be able to get that back?

Its a bit late to run out and buy crappy wheels and swap them over!

:bawl: :( :bawl: :( :bawl: :( :bawl: :(
mez3

M roadster S50

wheels

Post by mez3 »

Suzy,sorry about the car. hope you get on ok with those non standard rims. i had a problem claiming on a porsche 944 years ago due to aftermarket wheels being fitted and not listing them on the policy.i was left with a huge bill as they said my policy was void for not supplying the correct info on the car.Hope all goes well
SuzyZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by SuzyZ3 »

Mez3 - Thanks for that! ha :roll:

I have some wheels sorted now I think (bf taken over!)

BMW said they would take out the hardtop fitting kit/stereo/ipod adapter for me, and I was planning on telling them that if it is a write off (still waiting to find out) then I would like to put my old wheels back on it. I didn't list them as a mod, as I genuinley didn't think they were :| They are not a fancy name or anything, they are still bmw wheels? I only chose this z3 over loads of others, simply because I loved the wheels! ha girls hey!

So if the car is a write off your hardtop will be up for sale!! I have never had it on the car since transporting it from yours to mine :cry:
SuzyZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Update on my smashed zed..

Post by SuzyZ3 »

I went to BMW Croydon this afternoon to finally pick her up and take her home...

I started her up.....
Put my foot on the brake (auto!)
Selected drive.... all ok...
Went to try the other gears (as this was one of the things wrong after the smash, you had to force it into gear..)
... and you still did...

So I have had to leave her there :bawl:

So for the time being I will be cruising round in a 3 Series M Coupe.. tut! and with the nice weather as well, I am missing so many topless moments!
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

komis wrote:

not just that but last time i checked i heard it was illegal to park and leave the car in gear. reason being that if the car is to be towed (heaven forbid) the damage done would be rather excessive to say the least. so by making it illegal, keeps costs down for the public services as they wont be sued for damage to private property. or something to that effect