Why do we love our ZED's?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Why do we love our ZED's?

Post by Justin Time »

just curious as to why we all love our Zeds

overall looks, smooth ride and the "wind rushing through your hair feeling" do it for me

how about you?
flyingalexf68

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by flyingalexf68 »

I bought mine (fiancee and I share it, I pay for it) as a compromise. I wanted an Elise and we took a test drive in one and loved it but it was too expensive so we would have had to keep the old Fiesta and sell the Patrol. Pamela didn't like that idea so I went and looked at a '98 SLK230 and I saw my Z3 in the same garage. I really wasn't looking for a Zed at all because her sister had one (a 1.8) which I didn't like at all and it had lots of niggly problems. But I went back to the garage and took a test drive. I fell in love with the engine and Pamela fell in love with the looks. So I bought it. And I really do love it. It's a great car with great performance. And as a bonus I get to be a member of the BMW car club and do the track days and be a member of this forum. :mrgreen:
2001 Z3 2.2i
2000 530d Steptronic
2000 Nissan Patrol SWB Auto
trickyb

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by trickyb »

They've all got that illusive 'Character', that so many car manufacturers just seem to forget about (See Toyota, for every example).

Even if you put two identical Z's next to each other there's still that 'something' to separate them.

Whilst i love the Z4, i'm not sure its Character will stand the same test of time

{Sun's out. Zed's cleaned and polished. Top's down. Tunes selected. Still can't drive it as hans still in a brace/cast. You just don't know how frustrated i really am. :( :( :( }
I spent most of my money on whisky, women and Z3's. The rest I just wasted.

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken.
John Boy
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John Boy »

trickyb wrote: hans still in a brace/cast. You just don't know how frustrated i really am. :( :( :( }
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I think you are right about the car having character, I personally love the fact the car looks like the designers looked at the traditional shape of a roadster and used it as inspiration.
With that long bonnet and the seats near the rear wheels, it looks just right. 8-)
John Boy
2.8 Z3
flyingalexf68

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by flyingalexf68 »

trickyb wrote: {Sun's out. Zed's cleaned and polished. Top's down. Tunes selected. Still can't drive it as hans still in a brace/cast. You just don't know how frustrated i really am. :( :( :( }
I feel the same. Gave my uncle a lend of it for the weekend. And it's going to be the best weekend for weeks. :head:
2001 Z3 2.2i
2000 530d Steptronic
2000 Nissan Patrol SWB Auto
Tourniquet

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tourniquet »

The straight six engine.

Its sound and pull are what sold it to me on the test drive. still brings a smile to my face.

That it was a bond car is an added bonus (got the same colour too), just a pity they couldn't use it more in goldeneye.
Convert to the church of "nice shiny engine bay"
All hail the shiny engine bay.
Aqua2.8

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Aqua2.8 »

hans still in a brace/cast. You just don't know how frustrated i really am. }

So you're a single man, Trickyb?
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

Tourniquet wrote:That it was a bond car is an added bonus (got the same colour too), just a pity they couldn't use it more in goldeneye.
one of the reasons i got mine as well, forgot to mention earlier

alex, tricky, you have my condolences, its a beautiful day for a bit of cruising
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

I love everything about my Zed, but its the way it makes me feel that does it for me. It always cheers me up, always makes me feel good about myself and grin happily. These cars are so very special and I agree that they are all different as stated above. They don't get lost in a blur of MG mass production or Toyota MR2 plastic trim, and they have a design that will never age. :P
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
cbzcbz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by cbzcbz »

Always liked/wanted since I was at Uni. The looks are both retro and modern and many new roadster don't look as good.

When looking for a convertible, I considered Smart Roadster, MX-5, MR2, Daihatsu copen, Astra convertible, and S2000 but there was really only one car for me. A Z3 :)

The sound of the straight six as you hit a 3-4000 rpm sweet spot, and the look of passers by as you pass in your zed :) The grip as you take sweeping corners and the exhaust note as you slow down and change down the gearbox.

Thats about it for me :)
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

I bought the zed on a whim, I had been driving a KA whilst getting my life back together after a stroke :( when a mate said he was trading his zed in . I didn't think, I just said I'll take it .

It is a bit more expensive to run that a KA :shock: !!!!!!!!! but I have not regretted it for a minute . I smile every time I go out in the car , it is an every driver and I have the top down whenever I can , 6.30 this morning going to work and when I came home and took the BMW BABE(see my profile ) out for a meal when I got home .
The car is just a laugh and for the price of base model Fiat Punto I got membership to the flash car club, small boys gawp and I even got a smile from a bloke in a soft top Aston Martin a couple of weeks ago! 8-)

Now that never happened in the KA

But for the real reason why I love my zed look at my signature :twisted:
I have been diagnosed with ADHOTS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh That's Shiney
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I finished up wanting one after a BMW driving day run by the dealership I eventually ordered mine from. My dad and I went along and we finished up waiting hours to drive the Z3 as everyone wanted a go. But it was worth the wait, I fell in love with it there and then, and was left wanting one. Problem was that at that time I couldn't afford it!

Probably about a year later I got a significant pay rise, and had a more serious look at a Z3, including pricing one up. I went for another test drive, with my mum this time, and finished up ordering one. At that time I still couldn't quite afford it, but by the time it was delivered I would have the money.

When I got home, my dad's comment to my mum was, "you haven't let him do anything silly, have you?". So it's all my mum's fault really! Not that I'm complaining - I love my Z as much now as when I bought it. I love driving it. It puts a smile on my face whenever I get behind the wheel. Hell, it puts a smile on my face whenever I take the rubbish out and walk past the garage and see that long bonnet and gorgeous curves :wink:
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
SilverZ3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by SilverZ3 »

Well i had some very jealous person take fancy to my old car and poored paint stripper all over it £3000 worth of damage :cry:

So after my pride and joy had been reapired i couldnt keep her anymore, so i was after something different again, i set out looking for a E46 but there were to many about. I spoke to a friend at work who said that the Z was about the same price and insurance, then i fell for the Z after a month of searching i found the one and have never looked back since, its great to drive and always puts a smile on my face :D and 6 months have flown past.
My next car will be another Z - with the little ///M attached to it :D
Yella

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Yella »

SilverZ3 wrote:
i set out looking for a E46 but there were to many about. I spoke to a friend at work who said that the Z was about the same price and insurance, then i fell for the Z after a month of searching i found the one and have never looked back since, its great to drive and always puts a smile on my face :D and 6 months have flown past.
My next car will be another Z - with the little ///M attached to it :D
Same as Me I set out looking for a 3 series but after seeing lots of high mileage cars with very basic packages I found on autotrader that I could indeed afford a Z3 :D Woohoo I thought and away I went and found myself a black 1 it was a toss up between a black 1.9 and a red 2.8 ( accident repaired) I took the 1.9. OK sometimes I regret getting the 1.9 BUT I've made it my own now and well the looks are finished with it's time to start on the engine.
God gave me Taste, BMW made the Z3. It's not a girls car, It's a Mans car in Drag !!
kruisn

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by kruisn »

Although it is German design and built in USA, it is the traditional British sports car with character. Big six up front, long bonnet, interesting handling, fast, sat over the rear axle, good looking, controversial, solid and not quite perfect. All the things to make driving fun. NOT BORING. Most modern cars are. Its a modern Big Healey and always needs thought when driving hard or it may bight you.
Don't drink and drive home -
Take the Zd and fly home -
636mick

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by 636mick »

We had a Renault Megane, new shape with the sticky out bum. The wife decided she wanted a new car, pointed to a Z as we drove somewhere and said thats what she wanted. I spent some time looking for the right car, in the right colour, originally wanted a 2.8 but decided the 2.0 suited us down to the ground.

The neighbours think we are millionaires due to the Z, my Vectra V6 and my bike all sat there. They all thought the Z was brand new as its got a private plate on it, and ive never seen fit to put them right!!!!!!!!

We both love driving it, she went through a patch recently of thinking she wanted something else but has since changed her mind.

For me its the noise, the look and the ability to cruise with the roof sdown that i like.

Mick
Yella

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Yella »

Agree with you there Mick for some unkown reason poeple do seem to believe that Z3's are indeed much more expensive than they are but I'm not complaining :lol:
God gave me Taste, BMW made the Z3. It's not a girls car, It's a Mans car in Drag !!
ribs

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Why we love the Z

Post by ribs »

Its the sound of that exhaust..... the ever lasting bonnet...... the wide wheel arches......the looks from people as you cruise past....., but maybe most of all its the blonde sitting next to you!! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
636mick

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Why we love the Z

Post by 636mick »

ribs wrote:Its the sound of that exhaust..... the ever lasting bonnet...... the wide wheel arches......the looks from people as you cruise past....., but maybe most of all its the blonde sitting next to you!! :D
Blonde, dont show this to the wife, she's been every colour but blonde, dont give her ideas!!!!

Mick
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

636mick wrote:We both love driving it, she went through a patch recently of thinking she wanted something else but has since changed her mind.
And thank goodness she did...such a beautiful rare edition of Zed. :P
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

I love it when people go "I didn't know Z3's were so quick" 8-)
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Just got my first "ooh! look at that!" :D

Was coming away from a concert in the dark last night, roof down (of course!), and we toodled past a small group of ladies who had also been to the concert. It's funny the things you hear when you've got the roof down. :wink:
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Bloke

Other roadster

Post by Bloke »

I loved my Z3 for its individuality, and its 255 rear tyres :twisted:

But I have come to admire the Z4 shape now, on my 3.0ltr with 18" wheels, it sits so low, looks cool I think, and the shape has now come into vogue, I think it was a little before its time, I think I need to change my front bumper to the aero bumper then Ill be a little happier about the looks at the front.

Apart from that they look Geat , Roof down sunny days etc. and then we all by cars for the way they look dont we really, so we are all posers at heart :lol: :lol: :lol:

But add that to wind in your hair, cool tunes, sunny days, I wouldnt be with out it.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
dudeone

Not specified

Zed

Post by dudeone »

Well the thing that has drawn me to the ///M is initially the looks, I have always loved the Cobra's the way the arches flare and the sleek design and I think personally that the Zed is like a retro Cobra but less kit car.

I also love the engine note on the ///M series

Roll on tomorrow when I pick mine up, was supposed to be last week but delays happened, now I am so wanting her so bad its unreal.
Last edited by dudeone on Fri 21 Jul, 2006 16:49, edited 1 time in total.
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

you know what dudeone, you're right

the ac cobra is an awesome car, have admired and wanted one for years. me being :dunce: though never connected the two cars

post face lift 3's do have a nice resemblance to one