Enable sport mode in your S54 MZ3

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
komis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Enable sport mode in your S54 MZ3

Post by komis »

Here's a little interesting article I came across... should set a few of you on fire :P

Sport mode in S54B32 MZ3
wwwwOOOff!!!
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Hi Komis.

I believe our very own Si Wilson has done this very mod.

I'm sure he'll be along here soon to sing it's virtues....

A.
RussJ

M roadster S54

Post by RussJ »

Before any one with an S54 gets too excited - it doesn't work with the UK version of the software software.
I followed the wiring instructions and bought the MAC module but nothing happens.
I guess you need the E46 S54 software version.....

Russ
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Good find, but...

There is no mention of how momentary the momentary switch is.

If it is push-to-make-release-to-break and you hold it in, what damage can you cause?

The circuitry for the light is interesting. Presumably, the feed from ign sw 2 comes from the top arrow (under the word "Cluster"), and the wire to pin 17 of the DME leaves along the wire at the bottom above "Bowden - 01/30/01".

The light will stay on as long as the top arrow is supplied with 12v, so it must be fed from ign sw 2.

I also noticed that the wiring diagram was from a US build standard Z3M. Has anyone got the same page for a UK build standard Z3M? (edit: I was writing while Russ was posting :oops: - note to self, must type faster :) )

I hope I remember this for if I ever get an S54.
Last edited by pingu on Fri 12 Oct, 2007 02:09, edited 1 time in total.
Pingu
JAY
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by JAY »

Yeah Si has got it. He's made a neat little button for it too. And you get that extra green light in the dash light up "sport" :P

So he's got it to work Russ! ask him what he's done different
RussJ

M roadster S54

Post by RussJ »

My instal has the switch mounted on the steering column shroud and with John Firestones module you can illuminate the "sport" light as well as dimming it with all the other dash lights. Looks really impressive - just doesn't bloody work!
As far as the electronics are concerned - all you need to do is ground a terminal on the ECU. This should invoke sport mode. Its switched off by grounding again or turning off the ignition.
It would seem that the UK version of the software differs to the US one and that the sport mode code is missing. So, unless Si has different software to me, I doubt that it works...
Russ

Post by Guest »

Hello everyone :)

Mine does work, but you could be forgiven for thinking it didn't. It is not as obvious as some people mention. Its an OK mod though. My ///M is June 01, so quite early for the S54s. Maybe that's a part of it ?

You can't make this work with just a switch. It has to have a momentary ground on the ECU pin. I bought a controller from John Firestone. Really nice guy.

Si.
RussJ

M roadster S54

Post by RussJ »

I guess you could make it work with only a switch, provided it was a non-latching type, but Johns controller is a much more elegant solution.
It didn't occur to me that the change would be subtle, so perhaps mine does work after all!
I was expecting the sort of change as per my Saab, where it is very obvious when sport is selected. I did try and check using my OBDII reader looking at throttle advance and seeing if switching on the sport mode caused an increase in the reading for a given throttle angle - but no change. This is what convinced me it just didn't work.
Posts on Bimmerfest seem to suggest a significant effect but its Yanks so who knows...
Russ

Post by Guest »

The biggest effect is at the mid point of pedal movement, where the throttle bodies are more open than in non sport mode. With the pedal to the metal its just the same.
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

siwilson wrote:The biggest effect is at the mid point of pedal movement, where the throttle bodies are more open than in non sport mode. With the pedal to the metal its just the same.
That's all the sport Mode is, just a different calibration of throttle position vs engine power but on full throttle it will be the same power.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

c_w wrote:That's all the sport Mode is, just a different calibration of throttle position vs engine power but on full throttle it will be the same power.
Is it? Or is it throttle angle v. pedal angle?

If it's throttle angle v pedal angle, then it's just giving you the same effect you would have if you had a heavier right foot.
Pingu
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

pingu wrote:
c_w wrote:That's all the sport Mode is, just a different calibration of throttle position vs engine power but on full throttle it will be the same power.
Is it? Or is it throttle angle v. pedal angle?

If it's throttle angle v pedal angle, then it's just giving you the same effect you would have if you had a heavier right foot.
Aren't the the same thing? But yes that's all it does, it doesn't actually give more power but just makes the car "feel" more responsive per relative amount of throttle pedal pressed.
RussJ

M roadster S54

Post by RussJ »

Found this on Bimmerfest (Ron Stygar, so it will be accurate).
It compares relative throttle percentage Standard v Sport:

0-0
4.7-11.8
9.8-22.7
15.7-33.7
20.0-38.8
25.9-46.7
31.0-51.8
34.9-56.9
40.8-63.9
45.9-68.6
51.0-73.7
55.7-77.6
60.0-80.8
64.7-84.7
69.8-87.8
74.9-89.8
80.0-92.9
84.7-94.9
89.8-96.9
94.9-97.6
96.9-97.6
98.8-98.8
100-100

As has been said, this certainly beefs up the mid range...
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

As you can see, the throttle will initially open very quickly. This is the same as using a heavy right foot with the standard throttle. What if the same heavy right foot was used in sport mode? I wonder why this option wasn't put on the standard Z3M. Could it be an issue of safety? The M3 weighs 1550kg and the Z3M weighs 1420kg. With there being 65kg less weight over the rear axle is the possibity of wheel spin not greater? Can the DSC/ASC control the increased wheel spin potential?
Pingu
exdos

M coupe S54

Post by exdos »

Edit,
I see Pingu posted his graph just minutes before me 8-)

Anyway, with 2 different graphical representations of the same thing, everybody should be able to understand how "sport" mode just gives your throttle "curvilinear" behaviour, whereas normal is linear.