M Power engine cover plate

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
alanandjudi

Z3 roadster 3.0i

M Power engine cover plate

Post by alanandjudi »

Just been trying to remove the coverplate and found one of the 5mm alloy headed bolts is located very tight and slightly burred inside. I darnt try any harder to remove it as I think i will make more of a mess of the bolt. Currently soaking it in WD40, any ideas on how to shift it, dont want to make a mess of it or I will finish up having to drill the head of and then it will be a right job to extract the rest of the bolt.
Was also wondering if its best to try when the engine is hot or cold.
thanx alan
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

Can you get one of those sockets which grips on the flats of the nut?
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

An impact driver works wonders on risky hex-head or cross-head bolts/screws. Just be careful how much welly you give it.

This or similar - http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=20766

It has a 1.2" drive that you can use to drive a hex-key socket.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Dose of Plusgas.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
///M Breadvan

M coupe S52

Post by ///M Breadvan »

Assuming they are Hex socket alen key bolts........hammer in a imperial allen key (slightly too big for hole) into the keyway and use that to turn. You may wreck your allen key but very cheap to replace. HJust buy a new bolt and replace.
Current: S50, black/Black. Becker HU, AP Racing BBK, Racelogic TC

Ex: S50 Coupe, Black with Kyalami Orange/Black Leather. ACS Suspension. HID's/Angel Eyes. Becker Bluetooth/Ipod HU.
alanandjudi

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Hex bolts

Post by alanandjudi »

Hi Guys thanks for all the usefull suggestions, think I will try a combination of these starting with the impact driver and then progressing to the oversize imperial hex key. Fortunately no rush to get in there, its a while before car needs a service, so plenty of penetrating oil will be going on in the meantime. Any ideas on whether it will be a good idea to try when engine is hot. cheers alan
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

You cant beat a bit of heat with a tight fastener. You may have some bi-metallic corrosion so plenty of lube oil and then some heat should help. I would use a small flame onto the head of the fastener and then leave it for a few minutes. The head is ally and has mush higher thermal expansion coefficient than the steel fastener, so the thread will tend to relax when hot.
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power