Changing the MAF sensor on a S54

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Simon928

blank.gif

Changing the MAF sensor on a S54

Post by Simon928 »

Hi all
Will be changing the MAF sensor this weekend on my S54. Can anyone give some advice on best way to go about it?
Many thanks
Simon
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I've just bought some MAF cleaner for mine so will be removing/cleaning and replacing.

I believe you need security (hollow) torx drivers to remove the MAF torx screws, so I bought a set for £5 off eBay. I can't check my car as its stored 30 miles away so worth checking on yours :wink:

Otherwise I'm expecting it to be striaghtforward ie remove screws holding MAF sensor to airbox and pull it out /disconnect wiring ?

Out of interest why are your changing the MAF sensor ? (I believe they are pretty expensive) Have you tried cleaning it if your having problems ?

My cars running fine I'm just doing this as preventative maintenance as I have a K&N panel filter installed (by previous owner) and I'm curious how it removes as its a different setup (re how connected) than my previous S50.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Simon928

blank.gif

Post by Simon928 »

Thanks. Just checked Torx screws are required so I will need to buy or borrow some before I start. Found this link from the M3 E46 list which describes the process and although its not exactly the same there is a strong similarity and does look straightforward.

[/http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11355url]

I have decided to replace as a precaution and prevention. I believe the heating and cooling cycle of the MAF can slowly deteriorate them over time so cleaning will help but it may still be underperforming. I appreciate that this a risk for me. £207 from main dealer is steep but should hopefully be worth it in the long run. I have been suffering from flatspots in the performance of the car and this now slowly getting worse so this is the next item on the list to do. Cheers Simon
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Note they are security Torx screws so you need special torx drives :wink: (cheap enough from eBay)
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
aj2007

M roadster S50

Post by aj2007 »

Hi Simon
I replaced the MAF on my S50 a while ago as I too was getting flat spots. The difference was quite dramatic, once replaced the car pulled constantly right through the rev range. I read a recommendation to replace the MAF after approx 50-60K miles as it does deteriorate and the results totally outweigh the cost.
Gary had his S54 MAF replaced and saw huge improvement after suffering low power issues.

See Here
http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... hlight=maf

Regards
Ade
Simon928

blank.gif

Post by Simon928 »

Hi Ade
That is good to know that this may be the cure it needs. MAF should be in tomorrow so I will post the results when installed..fingers crossed.
Thanks
Simon
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Simon, will be interesting to see what difference it makes :thumb:
Simon928

blank.gif

Post by Simon928 »

New MAF now installed and wow what a difference. Power up all through the rev range and throttle response very crisp. Easy install. Unplug the electrical connection, undo the screws (security torx), pull out the MAF unit, reverse procedure to fit new unit. Surprising to see the MAF so out considering mileage is only 44,000!
Simon
aj2007

M roadster S50

Post by aj2007 »

That's great news Simon, glad it did the trick and put the smile back on your face now summer is coming. Enjoy!
8-)

Are you using a standard air box/filter?

Ade
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Surprising how much difference this makes, although I have another flat spot occuring at 3500rpm in 4th under load :head:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Simon928

blank.gif

Post by Simon928 »

I am running a standard air box and filter. The benefits are not just confimed to high load driving it also cruises more smoothly and is much easier to drive round town too. MAF problems seem to run through the M range cars M3 and M5, as far as I can see so I will be keeping an eye on this and hopefully it will not deteriote too quickly. Simon
aj2007

M roadster S50

Post by aj2007 »

Would be worth getting it on the diagnostics Gazza to see if you have any fault codes stored

Ade
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

It is due a Service soon :wink:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
PERRIN Z3M

M roadster S50

Post by PERRIN Z3M »

Not meaning to sound stupid but what symptoms to you get with a flat spot?

steve
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

It's just like a single mis-fire
Gazza

ImageImage
aj2007

M roadster S50

Post by aj2007 »

Steve

Flat Spot

I would describe it as; when you accelerate normally, foot down and the car is go go go right up the rev range in each gear, if you get a flat spot the car will go go go to a certain point up the revs (say 3500 rpm) then appear to ease off very slightly at the 'flat spot' (hesitate) then go go go again once it gets the other side of the flat spot.

Hope this makes sense :?

Ade
PERRIN Z3M

M roadster S50

Post by PERRIN Z3M »

Thanks guys that makes sense and mine does not seem to do that, I actually took mine out last weekend and had a little blast with an RS4 and I was very pleased with the M///s performance. I kept up with him on a dual carriage way and we were very close he had more pull in 2nd due to more torque I guess but when in 3rd 4th and 5th it was very close.

steve
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

The S54 MAF sensor is the same part as the e46 M3, M5, M6 and Z4m thats why they all suffer the same symptoms :wink: