Just hit a deer

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Just hit a deer

Post by Deano1712 »

:cry:

A bit gutted here. Deer just jumped out from hedgerow and I had no chance to avoid it. He is a gonna but the car is damaged. Big dent in bonnet. Cant see must else. Will have to have a good look in the morning when I have calmed down. The oil warning light was on when i pulled up. No obvious oil leaks, but it went under the car.

I have 3rd party insurance only :head:
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Oh cock! Sorry to hear about this, Mark.

Hope it is soon sorted.

I take it you left the deer behind. I believe is illegal to take home anything you hit, but the bloke in the car behind can take it and eat it. :P

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Sods law rules.

I always take the view if you had not hit the deer something much worse could have happened down the road and if your not hurt its just fate looking after you :wink:

I fear you might have to source a new engine though :D
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Jackster

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Jackster »

Really feel for you mate, I would be gutted! Hope the damage is not as bad as you think and that you will soon be on the road again.
alanj4353

M roadster S50

Post by alanj4353 »

oh deer
alanj4353

M roadster S50

Post by alanj4353 »

Sorry
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

It looks like the bonnet is repairable. The bumper needs a respray and its pushed back up to 5mm both sides:-(

Its a shame I spent £1300 on a front end respay last year :head:
Rob Tan

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Rob Tan »

The damage isn't too bad .... but how disappointing after such a recent respray....

Hope it all gets sorted out quickly for you.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Sorry to hear your news. It might be worth trying to source a decent second hand bonnet with the grills etc rather than trying to fix your existing.

A silver Z on ebay ot the moment.

Just a thought. HTH
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

Sorry to hear that.
They come out of nowhere and you have absolutely no chance of missing them.
Thank goodness you killed it, a wounded kicking deer inside the car could have, and has in some cases, resulted in a real horror story.
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

I'd be more worried about the oil light myself. The potential cost is a bit more than a bonnet if the engine siezes. :?
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Sorry to hear the bad news Mark but glad to know that you are physically OK even if your back pocket hurts :(
In many cases the carcass rolls up the bonnet and can end up in the cockpit :shock:
Image :devil:
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

Mark, you're ok, that's the main thing.

You have an excuse to drop that LS in now though. Seriously, I'd have thought Bambi might have snagged a lot of anciliaries under the car, so get it on a ramp and check everything exposed.
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
Boysie

M roadster S50

Re: Just hit a deer

Post by Boysie »

Deano1712 wrote::cry:

I have 3rd party insurance only :head:
Sorry to hear about your problem
I was a bit gobsmacked third party cover :head: :head:
reading your posts and your projects that you do
It cant be the cost of the insurance

These things always come back and bite you
I've Been there

I am sure, with your talents and determination
it will soon be sorted and back on the road

Ray
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

Yes I had to insure it on a new policy as a second car last year and fully comp was £1200+ so I decided to go 3rd party. I was content with that considering I dont use the car much, and I am a careful driver :wink:

What I saved will probably cover the cost of repair here. I was hoping to get it knocked back in shape to get me mobile again. A couple of mobile dent firms say its a bodyshop job, so thats disappointing. I think a good dend guy could get it 95% right and I could get on the road cheaply. I will have to go get a body shop quote. Problem is the bonnet has two coats of paint already and I would want a bare metal respray next time. The bumper is scatched but otherwise undamaged - I can live with that as is for now.

On a more positive note the engine is fine, there is no damage or oil or coolant loss. That was a red herring. There is no damage under the car either, it went under the nearside wheels.

When it happened a guy behind stopped to see if I was ok and we moved the deer off the road. It was only a baby. The next passer-by was a 4x4 and he stopped and took it with him! Within 5 minutes of the incident I was driving away unhappy and the 4x4 was no doubt driving away very happy :roll:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Really sorry to see your poor Zed damaged :(

Think I would bite the bullet and get a replacement bonnet, I can't remember if its double skinned around the grills :oops: and a new/second hand bonnet stripped and sprayed up will look far better than de-dent fill job.

I live close to Cannock Chase country park, lots of deer roam around and it can be dicey this time of year, a number of busy roads pass through it, innevitebly its the young deer that get hit as they tend to jump out following the mother, had a close shave a few weeks back when 3 ran out in succession, luckily I was going slowly and could brake in time. If its a well known deer hotspot there should be reflective posts along the roadside to frighten the deer off and keep them away from the road.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Deano1712 wrote:When it happened a guy behind stopped to see if I was ok and we moved the deer off the road. It was only a baby. The next passer-by was a 4x4 and he stopped and took it with him! Within 5 minutes of the incident I was driving away unhappy and the 4x4 was no doubt driving away very happy :roll:
Ok, stop it, you're scaring me. I got the LS3 in one and now I seem to have predicted what you were going to say about fresh venison. :shock:

Hope the bonnet does repair. I had to have a new one for not a lot more damage than that. :(

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

I have managed to complete a temporary fix and the results are not too bad. It's given me confidence to have another go to get it perfect. Spraying modern paint is so easy! I have limited room in the garage so could only clear coat the front half so you can see the edge, despite paying good money for clear coat blender, which is supposed to melt the join. Anyway next week I'm going to strip the paint off and make it perfect. I think I was a paint sprayer in a previuos life;-)

TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Deano1712 wrote:I have managed to complete a temporary fix and the results are not too bad. It's given me confidence to have another go to get it perfect. Spraying modern paint is so easy! I have limited room in the garage so could only clear coat the front half so you can see the edge, despite paying good money for clear coat blender, which is supposed to melt the join. Anyway next week I'm going to strip the paint off and make it perfect. I think I was a paint sprayer in a previuos life;-)

That is bl00dy good :thumb:

Tim.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Sorry to hear about your accident.

A good photo of the car before the accident :twisted: .

Seriously, excellent looking job.
Pingu
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

Im finally getting the bonnet sorted after a year! After a couple of unsuccessful diy attempts at fixing it I now have the car booked in for re-spray. To save some £ I am preparing and priming it myself and have a rather good price for a top coat respray - £200 :)

I stripped all the paint of the bonnet today. Its easy with a 9" angle grinder and a paint removal disc - just loads of mess! I stripped the paint and primed it with etch within the day so its gone well. I will put more pics on when the car comes back from the spray shop.

How weird does this look!
sidtheranger

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by sidtheranger »

Jonttt wrote:Sods law rules.

I always take the view if you had not hit the deer something much worse could have happened down the road and if your not hurt its just fate looking after you :wink:
:D
My view exactly J
Nevertheless, bad luck Deano :(

Glad you're getting it all sorted. :thumb:
If it makes you feel the teeniest bit better, wild deer are riddled with a form of TB! :wink:
Blessed are the Cheesemakers
Rob Tan

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Rob Tan »

Re the pic of the grey spray painted bonnet .... is it so horribly wrong that I find the bonnet of a Z3 just SO sexy!

(...umm...just to remind you, I'm a woman -- Rob for Robyn, not Rob for Robert ....so I'm not TRYING to be creepy here....)
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

Hey Robyn you can come look at my bonnet anytime :wink:
Rob Tan

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Rob Tan »

:wink:
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

:lol: Smooth deano. Are those headlights aftermarket or is it just the weird effect of the film?
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Should've just clear coated the stripped bonnet :P

Was you doing Warp Speed ?
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

I'm a bit late to finish this post off but here is a pic of the finished spray job...it was done by a company in Harrogate for £250. Its not a good as the original spray job I had done in 2009, but for the price I think pretty good and I'm happy with it.

TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Looks a good job :lol:

Hows the colour match with it being silver?

Tim.
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

Its ok but not perfect. You can see the bonnet is darker than the door. The pic makes it look worse than reality though. I would have been better getting them to do the job a year ago. They could have repaired the bonnet and blended over it locally leaving 75% of the bonnet as-is.
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Deano1712 wrote:Its ok but not perfect. You can see the bonnet is darker than the door. The pic makes it look worse than reality though.
But equally, the door looks lighter than the rear quarter ... :puzzle:
MAybe a door spray would out it right :wink:
Image :devil:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

But the windcsreen pillar looks the same shade as the bonnet :lol:

Tim.
mikez3oldgit

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mikez3oldgit »

Nice repair for the money and good pic's.

Took me straight back to the night in 1983 in my Dolly sprint outside Alcester when a herd of Deer jumped a hedge right in front of me,only clipped one but rearranged two of my headlights.

The very next week a colleagues sister hit a Deer and wrote her Nissan off and this time did end up with it inside the car but luckily for her it was DOA.

Mike
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

Looking sweet! :zmurf:
I have been diagnosed with ADHOTS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh That's Shiney