Z3M V8 Conversion

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
exdos

M coupe S54

Post by exdos »

Deano,

You've not actually made the silencer any more free flowing than in OEM state. You've cut into the outlet pipes at the wrong end.
Deano1712 wrote:
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

Dont agree at all. There are large holes in the two bulkheads so plenty of free area to get the air to the forward end of the outlet tubes. Cutting out the secondary tubes frees one restriction and opening up the free area of the perforated area of the outlet tubes clears the other.

I suppose the other option would be to cut slots at the rear of the outlet tubes but the free area is the same. The air would have a more direct path (no reversal) but I dont think this would make much difference.
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
exdos

M coupe S54

Post by exdos »

If you stood the silencer vertical so that the tail pipes are pointing down at the lowest point and poured water into the the silencer through the inlet pipe, the two lowest chambers would fill before any water could exit via the outlet pipes, so your modded silencer still works by "reverse flow", and "free flow" is what you should be aiming for.

I've done lots of experimentation with ECU datalogging of modified ZM exhausts of various configurations (described on z3mcoupe.com) and I know that your mod will not achieve much by way of improvement of flow or sound. Just trying to help :thumb:
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

I understand what you meant regarding the flow path but I think free area is more of an issue than whether the path is straight of reversed. I will take a look at your posts though.

I have bought an exhaust pressure tester so if the back pressure measures less than 2psi at WOT I will be content.
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Re: Z3M V8 Conversion

Post by Deano1712 »

Fitting these babies on the rear this week. Then end of wheel spin I hope lol.

Image145 by deansie1712, on Flickr
Last edited by Deano1712 on Mon 24 Jul, 2017 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

they are huge!!!

i bet they cost a bit as well!!

The 'BEAST' 666
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

Surprisingly not. Ebay job for £150 each. Its going to cost more for 235/40 fronts!
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

You may be able to get some money back on them by lending to the highways agency to roll roads with. :wink:

They're over a foot across!!!! :shock:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Holy! Makes my 10J rears look like a smart car! Whats the profile?
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Says 315/30 on the label :wink:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Oh yeah, wheres that dunse smilie!
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Deano have not thought about a new system rather than cutting up the standard exhaust? I'm sure you would get better performance and sound from that lovely V8 with a super sprint and decat or the like.. :wink:
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

Decat would make the car very loud and fail mot too. My rears interface differently with the centre section so I cant simply swap it out with an aftermarket silencer. I did consider making new exhausts myself but I didnt see the value in the effort and cost. I drove the car today believe me it sounds good enough and goes well :shock:

I have the wheels modifed and fitted. Fronts are now 18x8ET32 and rears 18x11.5ET24. The existing 295 rear would have been a bit stretched on the wider rim hence the new tyres. The Michelins look a better tyre than the Falkens and are noticeably lighter.

Suffice to say 315mm rears is certainly the widest tyre that can be fitted to the Z3! The Michelins have a large rim protector which made them wider than I expected and a few adjustmets were needed. Its a chunky look...

Image045 by deansie1712, on Flickr
Last edited by Deano1712 on Mon 24 Jul, 2017 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Just....awesome..
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Looks like a dragster.. :twisted:

Bring it to Santa pod this sunday!! :D
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

Eeeeeeeeeeeeee them's look like mini tractor toyarrrz t'me............. oooh ahhhhhhhhhh oooh ahhhhhhhhhhhh :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

bloody hell... :shock:
the badness makes me do it...!

Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

very nice, id love a ride in it deano?

at zed fest?

:D

stick me at the top of the list if your taking people for a spin :twisted:

The 'BEAST' 666
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Looks like you could do some road rolling with those beasty tyres ! flatten that tarmac

How does it affect handling ?
Still modifying
offyourmarks

M roadster S52

Post by offyourmarks »

Fantastic read :)
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

shantybeater wrote:Oh yeah, wheres that dunse smilie!
Remind me - how does one spell 'dunce'? :dunce:
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

shantybeater wrote:Oh yeah, wheres that dunse smilie!
Remind me - how does one spell 'dunce'? :dunce:
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

markrnorton wrote:Looks like you could do some road rolling with those beasty tyres ! flatten that tarmac

How does it affect handling ?
Dont know yet. It may make it understeer but I can always adjust the setup now the KWV3's are fitted. At the moment its a scary ride. The new rears are spinning really easily hence not driven it fast. It feels more powerful than it did, and I expect the tyres need a few miles putting on them before they grip.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

Deano1712 wrote: Image
At first glance I thought you had 4 tyres stacked up there Mark - just realised it's only 2 :shock:

Looking forward to seeing the beast on the Yorkshire cruise in a couple of weeks (fuel permitting :head: )
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Looks ace! 235 / 315 is a bit of a massive differential though, you can go wider at the front too but 8J rim isn't all that wide compared to the rear.

They're Porsche 911 tyres, I imagine the ride is a bit more jiggly with those as the sidewalls will be mega stiff!
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

You can't have been far off getting just one 1800 tyre instead.... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

c_w wrote:Looks ace! 235 / 315 is a bit of a massive differential though, you can go wider at the front too but 8J rim isn't all that wide compared to the rear.
Yes agreed. I can fit 245 up front I think so will probably go with that. Will be better than what I have. I'm looking out for a cheap pair of PS2's.
offyourmarks

M roadster S52

Post by offyourmarks »

As there is more than enough torque to light the rears, by increasing the contact patch with the wider tyres you are obviously going to increase the torque reaction from the half shafts - do you envisage any chassis structural problems due to the increased loading? :)
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

offyourmarks wrote:As there is more than enough torque to light the rears, by increasing the contact patch with the wider tyres you are obviously going to increase the torque reaction from the half shafts - do you envisage any chassis structural problems due to the increased loading? :)
Good question!
You may remember that I had problems with my boot floor a few years ago and did a strengthening job on it. When I did that I made sure the fix was at least twice as strong as standard. This is the weak point and I'm confident I wont have any more problems there even with the increased torque its now likely to see.
http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... inter+jobs
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

The actual BMW drivetrain is good for monster power the weaklink is the body structure and attaching points so like you say if it's been strengthened then it should be fine!
offyourmarks

M roadster S52

Post by offyourmarks »

Deano1712 wrote:
offyourmarks wrote:As there is more than enough torque to light the rears, by increasing the contact patch with the wider tyres you are obviously going to increase the torque reaction from the half shafts - do you envisage any chassis structural problems due to the increased loading? :)
Good question!
You may remember that I had problems with my boot floor a few years ago and did a strengthening job on it. When I did that I made sure the fix was at least twice as strong as standard. This is the weak point and I'm confident I wont have any more problems there even with the increased torque its now likely to see.
http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... inter+jobs
Ahh yes, i remember that thread a while back.

Interesting read Dean - when doing the numbers did you calculate the loads from the half shaft and the propellor shaft?

When calculating max torque in first, what % efficiency did you estimate when incorporating the final drive and first gear ratios? 85%?

Looking at the geometry of the rear I'd guess that the summed force isnt applied through a single component either onto the ear and beam. Would I be right in thinking the diff ear tears or do the spots pop. Or both?
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

offyourmarks wrote:Ahh yes, i remember that thread a while back.

Interesting read Dean - when doing the numbers did you calculate the loads from the half shaft and the propellor shaft?

When calculating max torque in first, what % efficiency did you estimate when incorporating the final drive and first gear ratios? 85%?

Looking at the geometry of the rear I'd guess that the summed force isnt applied through a single component either onto the ear and beam. Would I be right in thinking the diff ear tears or do the spots pop. Or both?
Slow reply but the loads are soley generated by the torque through the driveshafts to the wheels. I assumed no losses at all in the calculations to get worst case. There is much discussion about what what fails first. Mostly its the spots welds but Randy Forbes has the most knowledge on this and he thinks either can fail first - I had a recent exchange with him on that very topic on bimmerforums. I have recently come to the realisation that there is a strong link between the failings of the boot floor and occurrances of driveshaft problems. I see an increasing number of posts with older high mileage cars suffering problems with the driveshaft intermediate bearing. Some have fixed this to find it fails soon after. On my car I found the boot floor had been pulled down about 5mm in the centre. Most cars will have some deformation in this area even if the welds are ok. You can easily check for this by putting a straight edge along the boot floor. When there is some permanent deformation it causes the rear of the differential to sit lower and the alignment of the differential to the engine centreline is lost. This will manifest as extra forces and/or vibration in the driveshaft and potential intermediate bearing or yoke failures. When repairing damage to the boot floor it is important the alignment is considered otherwise a 'fix' may leave a lurking problem in there with misalignment built into the rear diff mounting. An early post in this thread showed me fitting an offset bush in the rear diff mount in my car. I'm now thinking this was necessary to correct the movement in the boot floor, to get the diff and engine centreline inline. This always troubled me slightly since the S50 and LS3 were, on paper, sitting in similar positions.

Anyway moving on from that I have been planning a few upgrades to the car and have been accumulating parts for a while. Some of these are on hold while I sort out a rather annoying emissions problem. It has its forth Mot book this Friday so fingerts crossed! The mods are to sort the front wheels and steering. I am fitting a slightly wider front rim with new tyres, a (quick) z3 steering rack, negative camber plates and a new steering wheel. This is all aimed to improve the handling balance and steering feel. Well worth the £1k its cost I hope - eek!

First stage is fitting the new steering wheel. I have been encouraged by many positve comments on the Raid wheel so have been looking into getting one for a while. My plans to save some cash by buying secondhand have not ended up being that positive when all the costs are summed. I bought it knowing its needed reburbishing. All in its cost £400 but I had opportunity to have it covered in Alcantara with 'M' stitching. Its therefore made it a little different to the norm and I'm happy with that. Let me know what you think...

Image066 by deansie1712, on Flickr
Image070 by deansie1712, on Flickr

I had a little drive yesterday. The wheel feels great. Since I have not driven the car fast for a while I was more taken aback by the speed of the car :shock: Spinning wheels in 3rd again on the throttle. Such fun!

More on the remaining mods next time...
Last edited by Deano1712 on Mon 24 Jul, 2017 21:22, edited 2 times in total.
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

Mmmmmmmm looking good! Is it Mike F who has a RAID steering wheel too? Have you worn your tyres out yet ? Looks great fun but I dread to think how much the tyres will cost to refresh????
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

What offset/width changes are you making to the fronts? Will be very interested to hear what you think of the z3 rack, its been on my list for a while now...

Nice to meet you at silverstone by the way :) car looked great and made some lovely noises in front of me on the parade lap!
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

shantybeater wrote:What offset/width changes are you making to the fronts? Will be very interested to hear what you think of the z3 rack, its been on my list for a while now...

Nice to meet you at silverstone by the way :) car looked great and made some lovely noises in front of me on the parade lap!
It was good to meet you too. Your car looks great btw.
The fronts were originally 8.5x18et38 but fouled badly with the KWv3 springs and perch. I changed the inner shells to sort this which took the wheels to 8x18et32. I'm now fitting a 1/2" bigger outer lip so will be 8.5x18et25. I wasn't happy with the look of the front wheels - no dish at all. This was a result of needing so much brake clearance and the position of the split rim flange. The slightly larger lip should improve the look. There will be no more poke at the front since I am reducing camber by 1 degree.
Last edited by Deano1712 on Tue 14 Aug, 2012 19:07, edited 1 time in total.
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

The "quicker" standard Z3 rack makes the car feel much more responsive IMO as does the smaller wheel.
foler

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by foler »

which emission problems exactly you have? high co, no, lambda? what you are try to do to this days in fight with tune?
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

foler - it was high Co caused by lamba running at around 0.95. I think I had a small leak in the headers and I also did a mod to the timing. See thread here on HPT: http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39812 Its now passed ok but there were still problems at fast idle. The Cats I have are not great and dont stay hot enough to work at 3000rpm with no load. I have found the best way is to get a friendly tester :wink:

I have done a few mods recently and its getting close to the finished article now...

First job was adding a bit of negative camber:
Image097 (2) by deansie1712, on Flickr
I had a couple of adapter plates made to add camber and its now measuring +2.2 degrees. Perfect:

Image003 by deansie1712, on Flickr

I rebuilt the front wheels with a wider outer lip and fitted Michelin Ps2's to match the rear.
Image004 by deansie1712, on Flickr

The front wheels look a lot better now IMO:
Image014 by deansie1712, on Flickr

The car now has a standard z3 steering rack which has a faster ratio to the Z3 version (2.7 vs 3.2 turns I think). The net result with the camber, tyres, rack and steering wheel is excellent. The car is much better balanced, confidence inspiring and I'm very happy with the results. I'm now able to throw it into the corners and enjoy the power. The wider rear tyres have loads of grip and dont spin beyond first when warm.

I went with Aceman to a TVR meeting local to home and did 1/2 hour on a runway giving it the beans. A couple of videos here showing it reaching around 150 after a mile. Fun fun fun!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqytBaGHRGE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiR0lyQLrPE
Last edited by Deano1712 on Mon 24 Jul, 2017 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
resunoiz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by resunoiz »

NOT to be polemic, at first.
But a V8 with a so different conception doesn't pervets the nature of the ///M philosophy?
Not for the power itself, but weight balances, engine type (6 in line vs V8 ) seems to me so distant from a M car...

Surely is a very big experiment for a "monster car" ;)
Im' curious to know the drive feeling differences on a track with a majour upgrade like this :)
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

V8s are used in the E39 M5 and now E90 M3 so it's not unknown for use in an M car. The V8 engine is slightly lighter I think, and 2 cylinders shorter so it sits relatively further back so handling in theory should be better than the straight 6 3.2 engine.
resunoiz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by resunoiz »

c_w wrote:V8s are used in the E39 M5 and now E90 M3 so it's not unknown for use in an M car. The V8 engine is slightly lighter I think, and 2 cylinders shorter so it sits relatively further back so handling in theory should be better than the straight 6 3.2 engine.
and for the weight balances? more or less weight can be a "surplus", but in the general car setup? M5 e39 and M3 E9x are obviosly differently balanced, due to different shape, measures and so on.

It's only a doubt, I have to point on, and NOT a critic. I always figured out that a car is not only maximum speed and acceleration, but handling too. Is not a risk to compromise this (for me) crucial parameter altering wheights? Obviously, if in addiction to motor swap there aren't other tuning works :wink:
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

The car has just about every suspension mod you can do. As a drive I would say these changes are more significant to the feel of the car. The V8 gives plenty of torque and a nice sound. Clearly the intention with the conversion wasnt to keep it standard /M!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
resunoiz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by resunoiz »

Deano1712 wrote: Clearly the intention with the conversion wasnt to keep it standard /M!
obviously, is the primary premise :D
and think a great satisfaction for DIY enthusiast :)

you didn't notice something different in feel on the track with new balances?
luckycolourblue

M roadster S52

Post by luckycolourblue »

resunoiz wrote:
c_w wrote:V8s are used in the E39 M5 and now E90 M3 so it's not unknown for use in an M car. The V8 engine is slightly lighter I think, and 2 cylinders shorter so it sits relatively further back so handling in theory should be better than the straight 6 3.2 engine.
and for the weight balances? more or less weight can be a "surplus", but in the general car setup? M5 e39 and M3 E9x are obviosly differently balanced, due to different shape, measures and so on.

It's only a doubt, I have to point on, and NOT a critic. I always figured out that a car is not only maximum speed and acceleration, but handling too. Is not a risk to compromise this (for me) crucial parameter altering wheights? Obviously, if in addiction to motor swap there aren't other tuning works :wink:
Were on earth have you got the idea that a stock Z3 handles well from :roll: :lol:
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

resunoiz wrote:

If the engine it a touch lighter (or even the same weight) it will be better if it's sat further back in the engine bay. Subjectively speaking the non-Ms feel nimbler because all the other 6cyl engine are alloy so significantly lighter.
resunoiz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by resunoiz »

luckycolourblue wrote:
Were on earth have you got the idea that a stock Z3 handles well from :roll: :lol:
know stock suspension sucks ;)

BUT I'm wondering (is a curiosity, as said) if different whieights can afflict handling :)

I've seen is not the only conversion here, but I wonder it was amde a lot of times. And that doubt has always remained "unsolved" :)
fok

M coupe S50

Post by fok »

resunoiz wrote:
luckycolourblue wrote:
know stock suspension sucks ;)

BUT I'm wondering (is a curiosity, as said) if different whieights can afflict handling :)

I've seen is not the only conversion here, but I wonder it was amde a lot of times. And that doubt has always remained "unsolved" :)
Weight distribution with a well fitted LS* is near 50/50 in an M Coupe, so theory would suggest better handling.....I have yet to be 100% happy with mine but that's down to being lazy with set up of KW's etc.

I think that a V8 conversion makes for a better road car as power delivery is well suited for street use but I think on long open tracks the S5* powered car regains some of the lost ground as it can be kept revving.
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

Its that upgrade time of year again. The car is off the road till Spring so I have a few jobs planned to improve a few things. First job has been to re-route the wiring on top of the engine and across the bulkhead. Its looking tidier now and I have engine covers at last. I have ditched the old PS pump and opted for a standard GM fit with the pump of the nearside. I knackered the old pump fitting it and it was a failure waiting to happen.
Image030 (2) by deansie1712, on Flickr
The cooling system has been marginal since I did the conversion so the plan is to sort that out for good. I got a new radiator, all aluminium with a thicker core. It looks beefy and hopefully effective. The old radiator was completely trashed due to the weight of the cooling fan hanging off it. I need to mount the fan differently so thinking how best to do that.
Image035 by deansie1712, on Flickr
Next job is making new exhausts. The centre section is first. I had trouble getting the car through MOT this year because the old sports CATS were ineffective. I have bought an expensive compliant single 3" CAT and plan to plumb that into a new twin 3" centre section. I am also making a catless section to swap out if I ever get the urge for more noise and performance :wink:
Here are a few bits from the postman.
Image029 (3) by deansie1712, on Flickr
Image019 by deansie1712, on Flickr
The 4" stainless pipe is for a cold air inlet. I'm planning to change the inlet and route it down under the radiator to a front facing cold air inlet. Some of these mods will raise the power a bit and there is the option to raise the top end hp to 560 with a new cam. Thats not a defo yet I keep changing my mind. Catless with the cam I would most likely use the sound would be similar to this...what do you think? Should I do it? It doesnt sound very BMW!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEpELxRk_S4
Last edited by Deano1712 on Mon 24 Jul, 2017 22:00, edited 1 time in total.
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Ooh nice shiny bits :D

That car sounds awesome but then I am a sucker for a raw V8. For me as it is a weekend car a sound like that I could put up with and would put a permanent grin on my face that would have to be surgically removed but it all depends how you feel Mark. I can understand your apprehension as it will probably drone a bit on a long run but would sound awesome on full chat.

Don't forget to let me know when you start having a go at the TIG welding.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

DO IT...! :shock:
the badness makes me do it...!