Which service next? 12 years old but not been very far

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Desiro

M roadster S50

Which service next? 12 years old but not been very far

Post by Desiro »

Will the service indicator tell me exactly which service to have next?

I do not want to under or over service the car, I just want to do what is right.

As can be seen below it’s never had an inspection II but does it need one, which is I suppose what I am really asking.

Service details as of 10th. May 2010

Running in 1214 miles

Oil service + Brake fluid 4002 miles

Oil service + Brake fluid +coolant 7170 miles

Oil service + Brake fluid 9377 miles

Inspection 1 13803 miles

Oil service 20411 miles

Oil + Brake fluid 25370 miles

Oil service 29623 miles
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

The sequence is oil service, inspection 1, oil service, inspection 2 etc. The fluid service is done when the little orange clock is illuminated on the dash.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
Desiro

M roadster S50

Post by Desiro »

Thanks Phil

Inspection ll it is then
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Yes it's definately due an inspection II. Bare in mind an inspection I is just a glorified oil service with other checks covered. You will still be on your original spark plugs/air filter after 12years! and the valve clearances won't have been checked I don't think?

Even with very low mileage you should be alternating through the service schedule once a year or at most 1.5 years regardless of miles covered
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
jontymo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by jontymo »

Hi Desiro

I was in the same boat 98 car but a 2.8 with a history of oil changes and inspection 1s so decided to get an inspection 2 done(will do my own from now on) just to be on the safe side.

For info:
Not sure of places over your way but I used a place called bmtech in Manchester, cost £200 + vat for the standard Inspection 2 but also decide to get the brake fluid changed i think the total was £290 including vat.

jontymo
nearly old

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by nearly old »

I wouldnt waste my money the cars been serviced to death as it is
trigg35

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by trigg35 »

i wouldnt call 8 oil changes in 12 years and the original spark plugs servicing it to death.i had an inspection 2 last november and the car did very few miles over the winter - mainly short runs.had mayo around the oil filler cap by the end of winter which was lack of use rather than head gasket and so i had another oil change.i wont be going on the service lights with my car as i only do 3000 miles a year. if i did it could be three years or more before it thinks it needs to visit a garage which i think is too long.
nearly old

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by nearly old »

Plus 4 brake fluid changes now i would call that serviced to death
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

nearly old wrote:Plus 4 brake fluid changes now i would call that serviced to death
Disagree, fluid changes should be done every 2 years so 4 in 12 years makes that every 3 years hence underserviced !!
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

shantybeater wrote:Yes it's definately due an inspection II. Bare in mind an inspection I is just a glorified oil service with other checks covered. You will still be on your original spark plugs/air filter after 12years! and the valve clearances won't have been checked I don't think?

Even with very low mileage you should be alternating through the service schedule once a year or at most 1.5 years regardless of miles covered
Sorry, Can't agree with that. If the car is hardly driven then the only things you have to worry about are those that deteriate over time, such as the fluids. The rest are more driving style/mileage related, so carry on following the service lights. One area I would pay more attenton to in a super low mileage car is the brakes. The pads could be in there a lonng time before they wear out, which is not an issue for the pads of dics, but can be an issue with the calipers. Z3s tend to be second /weekend cars with low annual mileage, which is why we see a fairly high proportion of people reporting sticky calipers.

Oilman wrote a good piece a while back on long-life oils and how the additives deteriate over time. I would follow that advice/schedule and change if the service lights don't tell you first.
Desiro

M roadster S50

Post by Desiro »

Thanks for all your replies, some very interesting takes on this.

Just to add, I changed the pads this year and did have a sticking caliper afterwards, but that has now been remedied.

As for driving style, I dont use it for going to the shops, only for driving as it was intended on long fun runs.
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

I have seen (I'm sure) valve clearances listed in both Insp I and Insp. II services. The only other "M" specific item that may be checked (but probably rarely adjusted) are the throttle bodies.

Basically the car is not unlike most others; you want regular oil and filter changes, the rest of the "services" are merely vehicle checks.

I would recommend changing the gearbox oil and diff oil (ironically NOT on any service schedule).
ZZZEMMCO
Z Register organiser

M coupe S50

Spark plug Milage? change

Post by ZZZEMMCO »

Interesting subject.Where does it mention in Any service schedule spark plug change?.
safetyfast
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Spark plug Milage? change

Post by Robert T »

ZZZEMMCO wrote:Interesting subject.Where does it mention in Any service schedule spark plug change?.
Here:

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10538

At Insp II for all cars and additionally as Insp I for the 1.9.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc