Buying an M Roadster in the UK

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Jasper

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Buying an M Roadster in the UK

Post by Jasper »

Would really appreciate any views on the current Approved BMW stock of post 2001 M Roadster - any worth considering? I know its a very open question - but I currently have a 2.2 - love it, but its soon to go back to the lease company (well in December). Have had the debate on Z4 vs MZ3 - :head: - enough said. Given there were seemingly less that 80 RHD models produced and 6 are available today - if I wait until Nov/Dec is there usually this availability? Looking to stay under $26k - given there were not that many options its really down to the mileage and colour ! Have really decided on buying from BMW given warranty and peace of mind - any comments? Any suggestions/hints/ideas would be really welcome - I'm sure many of you have gone through this !! My biggest problem is having to wait another few months - everyday I manage to convince myself that buying it early is a good idea :D

PS - any comments on the MZ3 vs Z4 welcome !!!!!
Jasper

Z3 roadster 2.2i

help....

Post by Jasper »

:bawl: - no replies.. just one question then please please... really want to buy an MZ3 roadster (post 2001) if I wait until Nov/Dec will it be relatively easy to get one? There are currently five on the BMW web site... anyone know if this is higher than usual?
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

It varies ...

You may be paying a premium for it being summer now anyway
But you are paying a premium for it being an S54 also

The answer as to whether any are worth considering or should you buy - is one that only you can answer - given choice of colour, mileage etc
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

So there is silver - which looks good - one is Estoril - which looks terrific - but is probabbly the most liked of the M Roadster colours - and then there is a Laguna Seca - if you had wanted one of that colour you could have had Tims which would have been a steal and saved a wad of dosh - it is a bold M only colour that makes a statement :D
Last edited by DavidM on Fri 06 Aug, 2004 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

DavidM (King Of Chrome) wrote:..you could have had Tims..
Yes I notice the dealer still has it. I wonder whether the potential buyer Tim mentioned had Zmurf or not then?
Jasper

Z3 roadster 2.2i

true..

Post by Jasper »

thanks David, agree - just thought the S54 seems to have some improvements that would be worth it, especially the DSC.. also get the impression the hood was improved for noise levels (is that true). On choice of colour - would love yours (well the equivalent), not too worried about mileage - obvioulsly lower the better, happy to pay the price. But your right - always more in the summer, especially when I will not be able to trade my current Z3 in for it... thanks again.
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Could it be that you pay £3k or £4k more to buy a Z3M from a dealer than private. For that you buy in the knowledge that if the Vanos fails or a bearing spins you won't have to pay the £2k repair bill.
But if it doesn't fail you will be £3k or £4k in pocket.
For me the odds would stack in favour of a good private deal.
Last edited by Robin on Fri 06 Aug, 2004 14:25, edited 2 times in total.
'High G' motoring enthusiast
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Re: true..

Post by DavidM »

I went for 2001 for exactly the reasons you mention - and yes IMHO it is worth it - so I would be tempted to wait - I did - I knew exactly what I wanted - eventually it came up - 300 miles away from us but I went for it
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Robin - you have your M ages wrong - I would always buy an S54 from a main dealer - the vanos is not the issue - the potential for a disintegrating engine is slightly more costly - witness Giles' experience - badda boom - muchos dosh is gone without a valid warranty
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

David that's a point. It puzzles me that they beefed up the Vanos to solve prob then let the car down with an even worse problem !!
Maybe only certain S54's are prone & one can check from the VIN no. Don't know. Maye be I would go for a warranty car. I must admit the only time I've needed DSC on my 2.8 is in the wet but perhaps that is different with 321bhp yes/no ?
Jasper

Z3 roadster 2.2i

has to be with warranty

Post by Jasper »

Robin, thanks, though about it - but really want the peace of mind and willing to pay the extra.. also looked at yahoo and autotrader, but really not that much cheaper - suspect would negotiate down !!

David, I would 100% travel 300+ miles to get the right one.. just wish it would appear tomorrow so I could buy it now.. will keep waiting.

Giles, have to say love your Z3M especially the AC Schnitzer 18" 3 piece Racing Type III Alloys.... excellent car. (selling it? - :lol: joke sorry...).
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Robin wrote:I must admit the only time I've needed DSC on my 2.8 is in the wet but perhaps that is different with 321bhp yes/no ?
I can force the car to lose traction in 2nd gear in the dry if I feel so inclined - so I would suggest it is a little different - this is using Tim's launch control technique admittedly
M Blur
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by M Blur »

Bearing in mind Racelogic's more sophisticated TC system can be had for £750 + fitting.. BUT,

The main improvement on the S54 was handling - i.e. suspension and steering and it is in the these areas the S54 makes sense.

Never buy an M out of warranty and drive it for a couple of years b4 you decide to drop out.. ie. the VANOS has just cooked, repaired/replaced.

For tuning it's interesting that Zoom Motorsport remove the VANOS completely and with it all the assoc' problems but don't expect the same economy.

With modification any Zm will put a smile on your face.. and the S54 will out of the box. The earlier cars will more likely make you piss your pants.. :lol:
Robin

M roadster S50

Vanos fix ?

Post by Robin »

I read somewhere here there is a Vanos fix available. Longer bolts or something. Anyone know about this ?
If one could get that done at the time of failure & therefore know that's the end of the problem it would make owning an M// less of a worry.
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

For the average visitor all this talk of failures must be quite unnerving, but the reality is that the number of serious problems experienced by board members can be counted on the fingers (not including thumb) of one hand.

The original question was about buying a post 2001 M Roadster from BMW stock. By definition, anything older than Aug 2001 will still be under the original warranty, and in any case anything bought from a dealer will be under a dealer warranty.

The generally accepted wisdom seems to be that owners should extend warranty, then all the other far more likely problems (e.g. softtop) are also covered.

Tim
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Zmeagol wrote:anything older than Aug 2001 will still be under the original warranty
think on that ...

surely you mean "anything younger than Aug 2001 will still be under the original warranty"
Jasper

Z3 roadster 2.2i

failure

Post by Jasper »

good to know Tim, would never buy one without the warranty.. its not so much the fault being fixed.. more not having the car for a few days... :lol:
M Blur
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by M Blur »

Would also vouch for the warranty and the peace of mind is invaluable. In time I'll take the M out of the scheme purely because of modification issues..

water pump on M 8LUR went last week.. bearing began to play on the fan.. fan chomps housing and bashes into back of rad and makes a royal mess.. so new fan, pump and rad for M 8LUR on its way.. the pick up and drop off service is superb.. good for another 40K.. or maybe 30K the way drive.. :lol:

Just waiting to hear back whether there is any more damage to claim against the warranty.. :wink:
Jasper

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Warranty vs Modifications

Post by Jasper »

Would also vouch for the warranty and the peace of mind is invaluable. In time I'll take the M out of the scheme purely because of modification issues..
Do BMW accept any modifications that will not invalidate the warranty? If not then big decision warranty vs modifications.. or just put 100k miles on it quickly :lol:
M Blur
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Re: Warranty vs Modifications

Post by M Blur »

Jasper wrote:
Do BMW accept any modifications that will not invalidate the warranty? If not then big decision warranty vs modifications.. or just put 100k miles on it quickly :lol:
Depends a lot on a the modification
Depends a lot on the dealer..
Depends a lot on what you try to claim for on the warranty..
'MC' MarkC

M coupe S50

Post by 'MC' MarkC »

:idea: Theoretically, you could have NOS [carefully] fitted, detonate the engine, remove the NOS [v.carefully], and claim a new engine :twisted:

Thought you might like that thought, Jon
ACS susp., exhaust, wheels, short-shift +decat (Supersprint)+CF intake with K&N, remapped ECU, Strong-strutt. Piranha carbon-metallic clutch, EBC Grooved & Dimpled+Redstuff Ceramics. ACS pedals, gearknob & handbrake, stick-on plates.
M Blur
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by M Blur »

mbmwx wrote::idea: Theoretically, you could have NOS [carefully] fitted, detonate the engine, remove the NOS [v.carefully], and claim a new engine :twisted:

Thought you might like that thought, Jon
:lol: .. I do indeed m8.. but seriously NOS for me is a question of time - hence why I want to get out of the scheme. Indeed a clever man who can port the solenoids without showing.. given they go directly into each throttle intake. NOS not has hazardous as some people thing.. less stress that forced induction say on that engine. The trick is short bursts and restraint form using all the time.. controled at a specific rev range (4000-6000) off the crank. Simply needs a piggy controller to handle and no more than 75bhp to be on the safe side or 125bhp if you're feeling brave. :twisted:
Big Mr P
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by Big Mr P »

M Blur wrote:With modification any Zm will put a smile on your face.. and the S54 will out of the box. The earlier cars will more likely make you piss your pants.. :lol:

My suggestion is buy more pants, and love it.
Graham,
Something for the weekend!!!