M 8LUR - pics of latest retro mods

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
M Blur
Z Register member

M roadster S50

M 8LUR - pics of latest retro mods

Post by M Blur »

http://www.4to60.com/mod.php?mod=userpa ... page_id=21

You'll see the pseudo-retro/pseudo-TVRish approach I've taken. Similarly old school gurney flap to follow.. :)

The power bulge is now vented at the rear, which gives a very vette-style heat haze when sitting waiting for the xmas tree. :P

Inspiration for the graphics came from racing and road 3.0 and 3.2 CSLs as well as Martini racing Porsche 935s and Martini special edition 930 Turbo. Colours all tied up with std M badges which have been refreshed.

All work in so-cal metal custom with flexible epoxy coat and paint. However heat neccessitates full under bonnet shielding to stop the paint warping. :roll:

Under-bonnet pics to follow.. still much to do.. M8LUR in this morning for rear butt strut and Ground Control top mounts. Wheels still on my list.. chrome dipping the preferred route.. or black centres and polished rims.. any suggestions :?:

:)
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

The stripes don't do it for me - sorry

Can we have more photos of the vented bulge? And the side bonnet vents?

On the subject of wheels - if sticking with the roadstars - I would be more than a tad tempted by black centres and polished rims
M Blur
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by M Blur »

DavidM (King Of Chrome) wrote:The stripes don't do it for me - sorry
Sue.. each to their own David.. at least it makes for more varied group photos. :) My head is permenantly stuck in the 60's/70s and 80s which explains the route I've take for M 8LUR. I also wanted something a bit visual for when on track.

pic of bonnet as requested

Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

I like Jon. Looking forward to seeing the Beastie on the track one day where she obviously belongs...

(As an aside, is it just me, or does the ZM actually look better with the hood UP - I've always thought this :shock: )
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Giles wrote:(As an aside, is it just me, or does the ZM actually look better with the hood UP - I've always thought this :shock: )
Not very aero-dynamic though is it Giles? :D
M Blur
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by M Blur »

DavidM (King Of Chrome) wrote:
Giles wrote:(As an aside, is it just me, or does the ZM actually look better with the hood UP - I've always thought this :shock: )
Not very aero-dynamic though is it Giles? :D
Actually the M is more aerodynamic than with the roof down due to the turbulence caused over the front screen.. try flooring the MR with the top down and you'll see what I mean.. :nerd:
M Blur
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by M Blur »

Giles wrote:I like Jon. Looking forward to seeing the Beastie on the track one day where she obviously belongs...

(As an aside, is it just me, or does the ZM actually look better with the hood UP - I've always thought this :shock: )
Cheers Giles.. I like it in the same way I like an old Porsche Turbo compared to a new one.. :roll: I like to keep the compromise and she's still happy to potter in town but it's no secret then I am on a fast track program to tuning the old girl. I have a track night at the end of the month - hopefully with some dry weather I'll get some track pics for everyone. :twisted:

I think its the relative smallness of the hod compared to the width of the rear acrhes that does it.. I actually like her top down.. (don't we all.. :lol: )the lines from the rear of the screen that flow to the front of the bumper become more noticeable.. more emphasis is also laid on the retro quarter lights but to get the effect you need to put both side windows down.
Just wait until the NOS goes in.. beep beep .. coming through. :lol:
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

DavidM (King Of Chrome) wrote: Not very aero-dynamic though is it Giles? :D
Very true Dave - Hard Top would be the solution, I think the whole car takes on a new look and style with these fitted...ACS never did one tho :lol:
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Sorry I was being a funny arse and the humour was lost - I was using hood as in the american form i.e. bonnet
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

Dooh sorry :dunce:
Lorraine

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Looks quite good!!

Post by Lorraine »

I like the new look, it's individual but doesn't take away from the car's natural good looks. Nothing wrong with "painting the barn" a bit! :D It will look great going around the track...
Cheers,
Lorraine
Z3 3.0 :D
nero

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by nero »

Sorry Jon, but initial impressions from the pics - I don't like it :(

To me, it seems to be something to do with the red line not being right and breaking the shape/lines. The red looks wrong?

However, I'll reserve final judgement until I see it in the flesh.
BMWCCScotland

Nothing is as frustrating as arguing with someone who knows what he's talking about.
BostonGreenZ3

M roadster S50

Post by BostonGreenZ3 »

Sorry M Blur but I'm not keen on the stripes/bonnet vents :( - I think its spoilt the lines of the car

As they say 'less is more' - leave the stripes/stickers etc to the XR3i Max Power boys.....
321bhp

Not specified

hi

Post by 321bhp »

love,love it , :D :D :D
Kiwi

M coupe S50

Post by Kiwi »

Wow - very nice. Subtle touches that I don't think put it into "rice" territory but show some individual flair.
Surj
Z Register organiser

Porsche

Post by Surj »

Very very nice Jon.

Is this the new CF bonnet you got from Asia?

2 thumbs up...
M Blur
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by M Blur »

Surj wrote:Very very nice Jon.

Is this the new CF bonnet you got from Asia?

2 thumbs up...
Cheers m8..

Actually it's all so-cal metalwork using the original bonnet.. found a guy with more skills than your usual plastic kit bods.. I'm still waiting to see if Charles and Ken have spare bonnets once they finish racing their ZeeMs.. I'm also hoping for one of their 3.73 racing diffs.. :P

Engine heat now means underside will need proper heat shielding to stop the paint layers being effected but all in hand. Bodyshop so miffed that they're stripping the whole bonnet again and re-painting. :lol:

Looking at wheels and NOS next but there's plenty of time.. :twisted: :lol:

How's the Porsche doing.. 8-)
'MC' MarkC

M coupe S50

Post by 'MC' MarkC »

8-)8-) Have to agree with Surj; I think the stripes give the car a slimmer/more athletic profile. I'm considering taking the pics into my local signwriter and getting a quote for the same; presuming you don't mind. [don't forget that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :D]

I think body-coloured door handles would be a nice touch too.

I must admit though, Jon, that i thought your mods had the requirement of having an actual performance benefit :?: :? Just because they are known as 'go-faster stripes', doesn't mean they qualify you know :!:
ACS susp., exhaust, wheels, short-shift +decat (Supersprint)+CF intake with K&N, remapped ECU, Strong-strutt. Piranha carbon-metallic clutch, EBC Grooved & Dimpled+Redstuff Ceramics. ACS pedals, gearknob & handbrake, stick-on plates.
M Blur
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by M Blur »

mbmwx wrote:8-)8-) Have to agree with Surj; I think the stripes give the car a slimmer/more athletic profile. I'm considering taking the pics into my local signwriter and getting a quote for the same; presuming you don't mind. [don't forget that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :D]

I think body-coloured door handles would be a nice touch too.

I must admit though, Jon, that i thought your mods had the requirement of having an actual performance benefit :?: :? Just because they are known as 'go-faster stripes', doesn't mean they qualify you know :!:
Ahh a fair point my friend.. I'll allow a few small cosmetic concessions :lol:

Not at all m8.. but why not give the biusness to the actual firm who'll have the graphics on file.. they can then supply with no re-design cost and make any alternations you prefer. You can then fit yourself or arrange for someone to do it.

http://www.carartz.com Ask for David Logue and say Jon Beckett put you in touch with them. I'm happy for them to supply and would love to see the MCoupe with the racing livery. We'll then need to get the 2 cars together pics.. email: dangerous@carartz.com

:D [/url]
M Blur
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by M Blur »

Also best to wait a few weeks as I want to refine the design a little at the front and rear. Once done then CarArtz should be able to supply the kit at a good cost. Rgds :)

What's everyone's view on the side writing..? :?
I'm tempted to remove all bar the 3.2L which looks fab. :D