Exhausts and loudness

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
JohnSmith

M roadster S50

Exhausts and loudness

Post by JohnSmith »

I'm currently battling in my mind between keeping my M roadster or selling to get an M5. I got the Z out today (it's off-road for winter) to warm it up etc and thought 'there's no way I can part with this' (although I am going to test drive an M5 soon so we'll see if that swings me the other way).

Whilst in the 'for keeps' mindset, I was thinking of what I want from the car. One of the most important aspects for me is how a car sounds. I don't think the straight 6 can ever compete with a V10, but is certainly a great sounding engine in its own right. The problem is, it's not loud enough. If I keep the car I am considering changing the exhaust. I read some topics on here and elsewhere, done the YouTube thing (AC, eisenmann) and concluded I am a child and thus would want the loudest, most anti-social nasty sounding thing I could get my hands on. I'm not bothered about one that is nice and quiet with the hardtop on as I have a second car for boring, everyday driving (albeit a 120k miles diesel Peugeot).

What do people have on here and what's out there that's any good? I seem to recall there's a decent place in Cardiff that does custom jobs.
SpaceMonkey

blank.gif

Post by SpaceMonkey »

Prospeed in Cardiff are good for custom work, but make sure Charlie does the work.
Hayward & Scott in Essex are also very very good.

As for aftermarket exhausts I can't help I'm afraid.
Estoril Blue S50 Z3M Roadster
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

Consider inlet mods as well. Induction roar is a nice sound from the 6.
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
ZZZEMMCO
Z Register organiser

M coupe S50

Cardiff Charlie-Job done

Post by ZZZEMMCO »

Charlie-Prospeed :) Taylor made to your requirements--just be prepared to be stopped if you get him to make it as loud as possible--S152 covers this :shock:
safetyfast
JohnSmith

M roadster S50

Post by JohnSmith »

Zemco, will look them up when at home later. S.152? Which statute? Cons and use? The legislation around noise is rubbish for the police. No objective measurements / equipment etc.

Deano, I currently have a Simota induction kit which sounds nice. Think it makes it worse on fuel though!