H&R ARB adjustment

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Ian Kelly

M roadster S50

H&R ARB adjustment

Post by Ian Kelly »

The rear H&R ARB has 2 holes, to alter the strength of the anti roll effect. Just can't work out which way is stiffer, I assume it's the outer holes as this will give more leverage, can anyone confirm?

Thanks,

Ian
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Like spanners, a longer lever makes it easier to turn. Use the outer holes for softer setting and inner holes for stiffer setting.

Did you uprate the ARB mounts or are you just going to have them fixed when they rip off the chassis?
exdos

M coupe S54

Re: H&R ARB adjustment

Post by exdos »

Ian Kelly wrote:The rear H&R ARB has 2 holes, to alter the strength of the anti roll effect. Just can't work out which way is stiffer, I assume it's the outer holes as this will give more leverage, can anyone confirm?

Thanks,

Ian
You need to think about this. A longer lever arm makes it easier to apply a torsional force to the bar; therefore when, a force is applied to, say, the right arm it is just as easy for the left arm to resist that force on the other end of the ARB. As such, the SHORTER the lever arm the STIFFER the ARB becomes.

The H&R ARBs are twice as stiff as the OEM ARBs when on the same lever positions. Personally, I can't see any advantage in trying to make the ARBs even stiffer or adjusting the front/rear balance.
Ian Kelly

M roadster S50

Post by Ian Kelly »

Thanks gents,

Not looking to start tweaking front to rear ARB balance, just wanted to put them both on their softer setting to start with, after replacing all the suspension bushes, ball joints, etc.

Si, when you say uprated mounts, does that involve additional strengthening being welded in to the chassis tabs? I had the mounts seam welded all way round to provide a stronger mount. I also put large washers under the mounts on the trailing arm to spread the forces, as I believe these can get torn off too.

Cheers, Ian
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Ian Kelly wrote:Si, when you say uprated mounts, does that involve additional strengthening being welded in to the chassis tabs? I had the mounts seam welded all way round to provide a stronger mount. I also put large washers under the mounts on the trailing arm to spread the forces, as I believe these can get torn off too.

Cheers, Ian
Yes, additional strength to the mounting points. The ones on the chassis seem to be the first ones to go based on what I have seen. After a while the stiffer ARBs just seem to rip them off. You may be OK with just seem welding, but only time will tell.