Vanos rattle solved

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
boanke

M roadster S50

Vanos rattle solved

Post by boanke »

Hi, I am a mem,ber from sweden and I read on a swedish forum as well. I just read a post that has solved our vanos rattle, I have done it and it worked wonderfull. from my vanos there is just silence. How to do it?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/i/o/42.png On part 2 on the top there is a hex 6mm (I think) loosen the locknut turn hex out for 1/2 counter slowly then you can hear the rattle disappear. tighten the locknut and you are done. You must take the engine to normal drive temp and have it idle turn slowly and listen. I turned my hex nearly 3/4 counter. :drive

Kennet
boanke

M roadster S50

Post by boanke »

Maybe this is old news, that a fast fix is out.

kennet
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

mmm so you adjust the main PRV setting to solve the rattle? Increase the pressure and you risk blowing the covers off the solenoids (with complete engine oil loss), or reduce the pressure and the Vanos no longer functions. Maybe I'm missing something...
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
boanke

M roadster S50

Post by boanke »

The rattle is coming from gears behind vanos and depends on a spring that have lost elasticity over time. Spring decide how much oilpressure. Softer spring = low pressure and to much clearance between gears = rattle. to compensate for soft spring one can adjust oilpressure upp to normal level. Or one can buy a new vanos, I dont think one can buy just oiloressure regulator. This is not my idea I just fel that everyone that have a s50 can enjoy a silent vanos,according to swedish Autopower the tip come from Germany to Autopower. http://www.autopower.se/forum/topic.asp?id=241942 Here is a translation of one reply.

Believe it is because there currently is vacation time. It had certainly been more pull in this thread otherwise.

The solution to the vanos rattle has been with the mechanics of the BMW workshops in Germany for at least 15 years (according to member of German forum) but has apparently had a duty of confidentiality or the like thereof. And here in Sweden "has no idea" about this when I asked.

I got a tip via pm to try this by starting a thread in a German forum about my problem. Where it was apparently quite well known method among member why.

One can in retrospect to wonder how many vanosenheter who replaced unnecessarily. The fact that many engines have been replaced due vanosras, well. Read the bottom bracket race instead. Vanosras is a concept that apparently only exists here in Sweden, unfortunately.

To send the device to Dr. Vano is reportedly 200-300 mil then rattle back (pressure). Changing the oil viscosity / oil the 100th mil then will rattle (print again).

Rattle is well known that the pressure in the unit has become too low over time and mekaninken loose in it, hence the rattle.

What I am looking for full right now is what the pressure will be on the vanosenheten so it is possible to measure and obtain a more precise adjustment of pressure.

And for those of you who have not tried, like bums with a 19mm wrench and 6mm Allen key and adjust the engine is warm. It works! We S50 owners should not have to be ashamed of rattling vanos!
alanandjudi

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Mr vanos

Post by alanandjudi »

Very interesting. Just got my car back from (Mr Vanos) Darlington after full vanos overhaul, replacement seals etc. Its quiet as a mouse now, smoother and seems more responsive. First class job would recommend Steve to anyone that has vanos problems. What he doesnt know about the vanos isnt worth knowing. Now I just need to find time to drive it and enjoy it. :D [/list]
boanke

M roadster S50

Post by boanke »

After some test and investigation it seems like it is to by a new regulator, or just do the adjustment.Some guys here in sweden has done it and we think it is the ultimate solution for our problem. why have it not come up before? It is a very simple thing to do.
It is just thing that I have in my mind, why is there not a bigger interest for this then 2 different post in this tread? Do you think the swede are trick you?

kennet
hornel Z3M

blank

m

Post by hornel Z3M »

Hi boanke. We are all very interested in the vanos issue. I had my vanos serviced a couple of months ago and i feel it is not a problem as i dont notice any noises or rattles, i also think all M owners do there own thing with their vanos issues. :wink:
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

boanke wrote:After some test and investigation it seems like it is to by a new regulator, or just do the adjustment.Some guys here in sweden has done it and we think it is the ultimate solution for our problem. why have it not come up before? It is a very simple thing to do.
It is just thing that I have in my mind, why is there not a bigger interest for this then 2 different post in this tread? Do you think the swede are trick you?

kennet
To be honest my knowledge about the vanos is very limited. Mine has a small but annoying growl approximately 1200 -2000 rpm. I am waiting to have the pennies for mr vanos to repair mine.

Interesting post made here about a simple cure for the growl but not possessing enough knowledge on how the internal workings of how the vanos works does make one think twice about doing this mod as I would be concerned about blowing my solenoid seals and I'm sure other members have doubts too due to lack of knowledge and a s50 is expensive to replace if it goes wrong. What is needed is a better explanation on how this mods works.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

boanke wrote: why is there not a bigger interest for this then 2 different post in this tread? Do you think the swede are trick you?

kennet
Not at all :wink:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

whats a Vanos rattle like I have a small one at about 1500 revs when pulling away..
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

Oops, sorry. I dont have an M, is it only M related?
dave635

M roadster S50

Post by dave635 »

Hi,

As my S50 vanos is rattling a bit i'm interested in this possible fix, has anyone tried this or have any more info supporting or otherwise ?

Cheers,

Dave.
boanke

M roadster S50

Post by boanke »

Hi
Here is the latest from sweden. the discussion i now about that if one do this mod the rattle is gone but the pressure is not rised but lowered. That is not the ultimate solution. quite many has done it my self included. The silence from engine is a blessing and I havent noticed any loss of power.

boanke
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Thanks for the info Kennet
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
dave635

M roadster S50

Post by dave635 »

thanks for info,

cheers
boanke

M roadster S50

Re: Vanos rattle solved

Post by boanke »

Update about pressureregulator. I have now bought a new pressureregulator for vanos and mounted it yesterday. I noticed that idle became a bit lower and vanos rattle little quieter. But now I really know vanos oilpresssure is right.
"Time is on my side" - Edgar reese

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33754