///M-tastic at Brands Hatch

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
RemarkLima

M roadster S50

///M-tastic at Brands Hatch

Post by RemarkLima »

Hey, good news the forum is back online!

Just though I'd share my day at Brands today, in a very cold and slippy December morning :(

Still, the sun was shining and it wasn't raining :)

And taking a Z3 on track is interesting; the engine is stonking! Didn't use a drop of oil all day long and merrily sang it's heart out lap after lap :)

Sadly it did show up some of the flaws... The steering wheel is just too big, the steering rack is too slow, and the seats are too high (and they give me a really bad back!).

That aside I had a great day, and teh Yellowstuff's performed without a hitch, just them all round and DOT 5.1 and I was able to keep pushing all the way, they lost a little bit of feel towards the end, but nothing much so very impressed with them.

My mate has some good pictures so will send on the link once he get's them online. I've also taken some video, however this is a bit of a concern:
Brands Hatch Peeps wrote:Any material filmed or recorded by me at the Venue is for personal use only and is not for broadcast (whether for commercial reasons or otherwise) on any
public transmission media anywhere in the world (including but not limited to internet, terrestrial, cable or satellite), and I agree to pay MotorSport Vision the
sum of £25,000 if any material filmed should appear on such media.
Hmmm...
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Get the videos up, i promise not to tell 8-)

There is a seat mod you can carry out and I believe the normal Z3 steering rack is much quicker. Worth looking into?
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
RemarkLima

M roadster S50

Post by RemarkLima »

shantybeater wrote:Get the videos up, i promise not to tell 8-)

There is a seat mod you can carry out and I believe the normal Z3 steering rack is much quicker. Worth looking into?
I'll see if there's a better way to put them up other than YouTube... Or maybe pop them up for a wee while ;)

I've done the seat tilt, which helps loads, but that may be doing my back in... But it doesn't drop the seat any further. C_W found you can remove a chunk of the padding in the "arse" area which drops you further into the seat... And the new "standard" rack, I'd have to check it out, as again I wonder if it's just not quite quick enough?

Ultimately, I think I'll sell the car come spring, and just see it as an enjoyable time, as it's very unlikely to get used next year.

Interestingly, I know it was cold, so the exit from Clearways was a bit dicey, but the main straight it was only getting up to about 115 - 120mph... I'd have thought with the power it'd be a bit quicker, but I guess the exit really hurts there...

Just thinking, can you password protect YouTube vids? As I have it in 1080p so would be good to get it up there full fat!
RemarkLima

M roadster S50

Post by RemarkLima »

Right ho, video one on it's way up! It's quite big being full 1080p, so it's taking a wee while ;)

It never looks fast on video... *rolls out the old excuses* ;)
RemarkLima

M roadster S50

Post by RemarkLima »

Here we go :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCzFNfx-JN8

Enjoy!

I'll see if I have any more worth encoding!
Ragtop

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ragtop »

Really enjoyed that video, :thumb: I guess because of the short straight at Brands maybe stopped you from getting higher speeds.

I was at Brands on a track day a few weeks ago, watching not driving, but am thinking of doing a taster session.

Also while I was there it gave me an idea of ending a cruise there on a track day, you get free access to Brands [not the track] which gives plenty of parking for our Zed's and a nice cafe/bar. You can also watch all sorts of cars driving round the track.

Did you do an all day session?
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Was that a Ren 19 on the track??

You were reeling them all in ;-)
How much did it cost to do the track day?
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
RemarkLima

M roadster S50

Post by RemarkLima »

Cheers guys,

Yes it was all day, but then I headed off about 2:30pm to miss the worst of the traffic over the Dartford Crossing... Alas, the M25 demons were out in force and it still took me 1.5 hours to get to the otherside of the river :(

Brands would be a great place to stop, as you say, plenty of nice metal to be found! And it's surprising how nice it's being kept, really great to see!

Clearways (the last corner) was in the shade all day pretty much, so getting any kind of exit speed was a misson, the car just slowly drifted to the outside before getting some traction before the white line... I'm sure a nice summers day and some better tyres* I could get another 10mph on the straight... Maybe ;)

It was £119 for the day, but then being winter it's a lot cheaper... I'd say expect to pay anything up to £200 for a summer day on the Indy Circuit and up to £350 for the full GP!!! :shock:

But they also do the taster days, which is £25 for 20 minutes I think, and worth a go, but a day is good to really get a feel for it if it's your first day!

Yeah, a Renault 19 turbo. There were a load of Alpine's as well, along with some Renault Spiders, then a Jag XJS which was doing a respectable job gien it's 1.8 tons of walnut and leather ;) Also a Saab 9000 turbo was around somewhere!

Some of the Scoobies were very quick, but the Radicals are just something else entirely, as the day warmed a little they could get round Paddock Hill bend with barely a touch of brakes!!

* Tyres were great and showed to me that they'd be better than you'd ever need on the road! Just at times when chasing those on semi slicks that I had some A048's on!
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

Great video. It looked like you were having fun and I liked the tyre squeel sound effects you added :wink:
RemarkLima

M roadster S50

Post by RemarkLima »

freds dad wrote:Great video. It looked like you were having fun and I liked the tyre squeel sound effects you added :wink:
LOL! I was going to add a F1 V8 engine noise but thought it may have stood out ;)

This is from the first session out, so a bit more tentative... Also, the camera angle is a bit pants, sorry again (Steven Speilburg I'm not!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vDTokxdFjM
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

RemarkLima wrote:Interestingly, I know it was cold, so the exit from Clearways was a bit dicey, but the main straight it was only getting up to about 115 - 120mph... I'd have thought with the power it'd be a bit quicker, but I guess the exit really hurts there...
On the exit you need to drift to the outer edge of the track and cross the white line there. I reckon 115 - 120 mph through the start/finish is as good as it gets in the Z3M

Video link not working - "This video is unlisted. Only those with the link can see it."
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
RemarkLima

M roadster S50

Post by RemarkLima »

garythefish wrote:
RemarkLima wrote:Interestingly, I know it was cold, so the exit from Clearways was a bit dicey, but the main straight it was only getting up to about 115 - 120mph... I'd have thought with the power it'd be a bit quicker, but I guess the exit really hurts there...
On the exit you need to drift to the outer edge of the track and cross the white line there. I reckon 115 - 120 mph through the start/finish is as good as it gets in the Z3M

Video link not working - "This video is unlisted. Only those with the link can see it."
Cheers Gary. Yep, right to the outside, plus it was the only place with any grip ;) It's been a while but I'd think I've done well into the 1000's of laps around Brands! Scarey!

The line (most of the time in the vid other than when I miss the apex) I take, is the line I've always used. Nut sure if you mean anything different? If you have the grip then natually with more speed you'll drift out further but with so little traction on the entry I find you just need to go as wide as needed... I'd be keen to hear if you would do it differently, always willing to learn!

At Druids there's the qualifing line I was trying mostly, while the race line is a lot tighter... Ultimately doesn't make much odds there I find.

The other thing I found, lots of people braking very early for Paddock, in a light car (Elise etc...) you can brake the top of the crest, but it felt like a lot of people were braking in the lowest point of the circuit.

Graham Hill bend always get's me, I've never been comfortable there, no matter what car I've been in... Still, one day ;)

The vids were processing by YouTube it seems so should be online now... I think.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I only did BH once, after an Instructor lap I shaved 5 seconds of my lap and increased top speed to around 125 through the start/finish line.

Paddock Hill bend can easily be done in 4th, just takes Balls of Steel lol

Cooper Straight you can just get 4th

Drift to the outside of Clark Curve to cross the white line (1.14 in your vid )

Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Excellent. Scary how quickly you catch people in the corners - just when you don't want to brake or lift off :shock: .
Pingu
RemarkLima

M roadster S50

Post by RemarkLima »

garythefish wrote:I only did BH once, after an Instructor lap I shaved 5 seconds of my lap and increased top speed to around 125 through the start/finish line.

Paddock Hill bend can easily be done in 4th, just takes Balls of Steel lol

Cooper Straight you can just get 4th

Drift to the outside of Clark Curve to cross the white line (1.14 in your vid )
Honestly, there was no way to do Paddock in 4th with the tyres I had and how cold the track was! There were a few red flags to pull people from the gravel.

And I wasn't going to be going too far onto the white lines, as the paint was very slippy*!

* Just flipping through the "Racing Driver excuse book of wonder" ;)
RemarkLima

M roadster S50

Post by RemarkLima »

pingu wrote:Excellent. Scary how quickly you catch people in the corners - just when you don't want to brake or lift off :shock: .
LOL! Tell me about it! Not sure if I got it on video, but some people braking in the middle of a corner (normally Paddock) certainly made for some serious puckering action!!! :shock:
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Your friend has a big head...
Next time get some serious Gs round the corners so his face sticks to the window! ;-)
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
RemarkLima

M roadster S50

Post by RemarkLima »

Z3cade wrote:Your friend has a big head...
Next time get some serious Gs round the corners so his face sticks to the window! ;-)
Great idea! A sucker on the side of the lid and just stick him to the window :D

But can't complain too much, as he did take some nice photo's:

http://mrmphotography.co.uk/p153449318
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

The car with hardtop looks very purposeful on track 8-)
Gazza

ImageImage
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Re: the steering rack, yes the non-M Z3 rack bolts straight on and is quicker at 2.8 turns lock to lock (vs 3.2 turns for the M). That and a smaller steering wheel really make it feel more responsive!

I have only done Brands Hatch once years ago in my 205, can't remember how fast Paddock Hill bend was but 4th gear in a Z3M does sound pretty quick, as it's downhill I suppose top end revs (like in 3rd) are probably not as necessary though.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

4th is an easier gear for Paddock, my point is that you dont have to change down for it, slow down yes, change down no ;)
Gazza

ImageImage
RemarkLima

M roadster S50

Post by RemarkLima »

Interesting about the rack... Good to know.

Well, 3rd is good for 90mph and there's not many a road tyre that can get round paddock quicker than that I'd think... It's more that the Z3M is sooo long geared, as "most" cars 3rd is only good for 70mph(ish) so really does make a difference.

But totally agree it makes very little difference to the corner, and with the VANOS gubbins you do have a decent torque curve so don't always need the revs... Just the revs feels faster ;)
Z3 M LEGEND

M roadster S52

Post by Z3 M LEGEND »

enjoyed watching that, those track pics look great too 8-)
RemarkLima

M roadster S50

Post by RemarkLima »

And some pics from the Official Photographer :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonysphoto ... 347940615/
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Excellent piccies. Are you lowered, or were you cornering? Do we know the red Z?
Pingu
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

RemarkLima wrote:Here we go :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCzFNfx-JN8

Enjoy!

I'll see if I have any more worth encoding!
looks like great fun :drive
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
RemarkLima

M roadster S50

Post by RemarkLima »

pingu wrote:Excellent piccies. Are you lowered, or were you cornering? Do we know the red Z?
I didn't speak to the owner of the Red Z (didn't venture much further than the heaters in the car! Brrr!) but he was certainly making good progress as well!

The car has H&R dampers with Apex springs so a little lowered... Some of the pics (like this: http://mrmphotography.co.uk/p153449318/ ... #h3616501a) the suspension is loaded up during the corner, hence looking extra low!