MR Prices

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
offyourmarks

M roadster S52

MR Prices

Post by offyourmarks »

Looking at PH the prices seem to be on the up in general, well the asking prices that is :) I personally think they will not depreciate any further and the only way is up for these little stunners :)
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Let's hope so :D
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

I agree

The 'BEAST' 666
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Well done Pingu - Looks like I bought at the bottom of the market then.

Long way to go to make up for the mega loss on the 330.
Pingu
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

There are definitely less for sale every year.

It will be interesting to see what will happen as Z4m prices start touching £10k next year. Personally I think the Z3m is different enough and rare enough for it to get through this but it may impact prices for a while ?
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
luckycolourblue

M roadster S52

Post by luckycolourblue »

I'm buying so currently sitting on the other side of the fence but here's my thoughts on prices as a buyer:

S50: to me is in the bracket of 7 to 8.2 (7 is based on a car worth having, I wouldn't buy a car with any story)
S54:prob 9 to 12 (12 would have to be very good)

And after that the z4 comes onto the radar and for 12 it looks like you can get a sub 40k 2006 car which is appealing but for them being ugly :lol:

As the z4 prices drop I think ou will get real separation of z3 s50 and s54 prices with good low mileage versions of both going up and the good used ones hovering around we're they are today. The ropes ones and more s50's will slowly drop into this will slip to lower figures and thus get further ruined/neglected :roll:

A z3 m is still a thought out ownership proposition, the market will compress with the z4's and they are still a pricey car to run as a second motor and the fuel consumption does also have an affect!

Having said all of that, I think a nice s50 will be fine for me at the right price and hope it doesn't break. 8-)
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I think your logic is pretty spot on :rtm:

Lucky the Z4 is not a prettier car and lost a lot of the rawness of the Z3 which I think will certainly stand the test of time better than the Z4's

One of the best things BMW did for the Z3 was change the name of its replacement to a Z4 to signify it was aimed at a different market :D

The Z4 has always been too modern/refined for me and the Z3 had the better combination of retro looks and feel with more modern reliability than older cars. As these cars get older they will become more and more a hobby car and not daily drivers so people will sacrifice comfort for retro appeal/fun and be prepared to pay a relative premium for a nice one.

I'm obviously biased but I really think as the current Z4 prices drop decent Z3's will stand the test of time better than the first gen Z4's and they will probably end up similar priced and people can choose which suits their needs better.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

S50 or S54 doesn't matter in my book.

For me its about the condition of the car, that's what sells it and gives it its value.

You certainly wouldn't get your hands on my S50 for less than 10k.

Its a low mileage excellent condition car, with a hardtop.

I have been lucky enough to own 2 S50 cars over the year and haven't had a fault with either!

Perhaps I've been lucky, but perhaps not. I've just looked after them.

Prices for these cars are not really defined by any book imho.

Imho pricing is defined by the condition of the car, and by how much people want it! (within reason).

Oh and I wouldn't exchange it for a z4,z4m roadster or z4m coupe. Nothing against the z4 I just prefer the z3m raw power and undated looks.

Mark

The 'BEAST' 666
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I'm a mechanical engineer and not an electronics engineer. That's why I prefer the S50 :D .
Pingu
Adrian77

Not specified

Post by Adrian77 »

I agree with the original post and the prices of these cars are unlikely to depreciate further. Good ones with low mileage will always attract a premium and prices somewhat unrelated to any 'book' values.

My objective was to find one in good condition, low mileage and with a verifiable history. I was less interested in it being an S50 or S54. After looking at several the one I finally purchased was 2002 S54 in great condition. With regard to price, I certainly wouldn’t hand the keys over to it for £12,000, but I bought it for the long term as finding another similar one is very unlikely.

I don’t think the Z4M will upset the prices of the Z3M as they are quite different cars. I owned a Z3M in the late 90s and a Z4 3.0 when it was first launched and I never liked interior or exterior that much and time hasn’t improved it. The Z3M has a soul and sense of occasion when you get in it which makes it in my opinion timeless.
Southcoaster

M roadster S54

Post by Southcoaster »

From an early age I fell in love with the Austin Healey 3000. the engine was a 6 cylinder masterpiece, 2 seater, long bonnet, close to the ground - an absolute classic sports car, but always out of my price range!!!

At one time they were not that regarded and not that expensive - then what happened

I consider my M as a modern day Healey 3000, but it just goes quicker, handles better and looks as good, no, actually I think it looks better!

OK they have built many Z3s, but good Z3Ms are getting rarer and every time someone hacks one about or dismantles it at a track day, well, the value of the remaining just improves!

Hang on in there, 20 years time, if there is any fuel left, the Z3M will still be turning heads when you take it out and be a very highly regarded classic.
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

I think the MRoadsters are timeless classics now and they won't get any cheaper.. Give it 3-5years these will be commanding higher premiums for sure...

I think if your thinking of buying an MR then nows the time to find a good one at a low price...
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

I'd better get one then.

Oooooh there is a mint one in my garage!

Yipeeeeeeeee

The 'BEAST' 666
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I might start collecting them :P
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Gazza wrote:I might start collecting them :P
Sell the Americana and get three other MRs.... :D
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

2 Americana will go this year, thinking about an MC
Gazza

ImageImage
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Gazza wrote:2 Americana will go this year, thinking about an MC
I think a Z4MC is worth getting when it reaches the bottom of the market (which won't be long now). I think it looks fantastic side and rear view, and is a properly rigid car.
Pingu
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Gazza wrote:2 Americana will go this year, thinking about an MC
There was a nice MC with an M5 V10 in it forsale?? :P

My cousin has an imola MC... Beautiful car Gaz go for it