boot floor done

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
swamper

M roadster S50

boot floor done

Post by swamper »

so..........i took the M for the boot wields to be done.
when i showed him (like me) he said that it looks like only 2 had popped....but he said the main culprits are underneath the sealer.
i left him with it and went back a few hours later and he'd found 10!....yes 10! that had cracked :-o
so hes removed the old ones and replaced them and seam wielded everything else .....jobs a goodun ;)

this cost me 130 quid.....and now i know its right...money well spent if you ask me ;)
the guys in Congleton
Ray
Elizabeth St,
Congleton,
Cheshire
CW12 4DJ

Tel 01260 297 957

if you mention swamper and the blue Z3M he will know what you are talking about.
the badness makes me do it...!

geminimustang

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: boot floor done

Post by geminimustang »

that's a lot of welding for the money,you did well. :)
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

yep....i ask him if i could put his name up so the lads could get theirs done. :wink:

shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Did you check underneath for the differential mount giving way? Usually the spot welds are just a side effect of the diff mount going. When I took my s50 into bmw they replaced the entire mount not just the welds. Sorry to scaremonger but it is worth checking or speaking to the knowledgable Randy Forbes for more info.
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

he re-wielded all underneath....he knows the score with these shanty..most of the work was underneath ..he took a load of pics to show me what he'd done..all ok :wink:
he was telling me that the 325's suffer from a very similar problem were the diff actually detaches :?

Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

That is not a lot of money for the piece of mind you will get, I had this done on my 1.9 but have now found 1 popped on my 3.0 :head:. I managed to speak to a local(ish) garage yesterday and they are willing to do the job.
Last edited by Brian H on Thu 22 Nov, 2012 20:06, edited 1 time in total.
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

Brian theres a lot of Zed out there with the same problem...like you i would rather get it sorted rather than leave it to chance

stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

Bargain. Might be worth a run over for a check.
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Looks like you have done your homework, well worth the precautionary cost considering how much worse it can get!
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Kornknarr

M roadster S50

Post by Kornknarr »

I'm going down that road. This is how my diff mount looks like: http://perkornhall.se/Per_Kornhall/Subframe.html#13
And I've got a couple of gone spotwelds in the trunk. I'll do it myself, slowly, during winter hibernation. At this moment I'm taking out the diff and the subframe. Will start the actual welding and stuff after xmas. Got Randy Forbes kit but will keep the old diff cover so I'll have to take out the old diff mount, put in a new and reinforce it. I'll be back with pictures later, hopefully...