Track day tyres

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Gooseacre

M roadster S50

Track day tyres

Post by Gooseacre »

Bit of a heathen / novice question...

My tyres are edging closer to not being road legal. If I get new tyres is it worth it / ok to keep the old set to use on a track day? I have not taken my M to a track day yet but Looking to this summer.

"Proper" racing tyres are slicks so if the tread pattern is simply worn on a road tyre....

(I know I am probably mistaken!!)
2001 Z3M S54 LB64010 #10/73
swamper

M roadster S50

Re: Track day tyres

Post by swamper »

for me i would go and burn your old ones out...but you need to think about getting home
the badness makes me do it...!

stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

Dont use new tyres on track unless it's wet as the treads will probably overheat unless you're very careful.

Pressures cold need dropping as the heat generated will cause pressures to rise. Take a gauge and inflator for the end of the day.

Worth keeping older tyres to do td's due to potential high wear on shoulders of tyres.

Dedicated to tyres are actually different compounds, rather than all about the tread. They do offer better grip & wear against road tyres if you're planning on a lot of track miles.

Plenty of good tyre info if you search. I'm on Toyo T1R on the z after Eagle F1's. Also plenty of love for Falken 452, but manufacturers move their product on at regular intervals.

R888 are great from Toyo for track day hero's and I also have Yoko AD08's on another car of mine for td's.

Hope this helps.
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
HarveyT

M roadster S50

Post by HarveyT »

R888s after a track day at Spa last year, (not on a Z) - awesome grip but don't last very long

c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Those R888s don't look too bad to me, some rubber pickup but difficult to assess true wear as they only come with 5.5mm new anyway. They can last a fair amount of time if you look after them, the R888s don't like a lot of steering angle and you have to consciously not wind on too much look to get the best out of them.

As has been said, worn road tyres are better that new road tyres for dry trackdays but they are not close to the softer semi slicks for grip.