For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Gearbox oil

Post by Badman gee »

Hello all,

I'm going to change my gearbox oil.

A couple of questions:

Please confirm the best oil to use and the best place to buy it.

Also do I need any other parts I.e seals etc. (part numbers would be handy to have)

Apologies if this has been done to death.

Many thanks

Mark

The 'BEAST' 666
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Re: Gearbox oil

Post by Z3cade »

You need 5w-40 fully synthetic for the S50. Brand doesn't really matter, personal preference..

Ive got Fuchs pro race 5w-40 in mine. Best to get a genuine bmw oil filter from local bmw mate.
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
hornel Z3M

blank

Post by hornel Z3M »

Wonder where the oil filter goes in the gearbox :roll:

You need 1.5ltrs fuchs titan 75w 80 synthetic. good stuff :)
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

hornel Z3M wrote:Wonder where the oil filter goes in the gearbox :roll:

You need 1.5ltrs fuchs titan 75w 80 synthetic. good stuff :)
:lol:

The 'BEAST' 666
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Oil seals?

The 'BEAST' 666
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

:dunce:

Yes I now realise you mean the gearbox and not the engine :lol:
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Z3cade wrote::dunce:

Yes I now realise you mean the gearbox and not the engine :lol:
Might do both now :)

The 'BEAST' 666
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

What oil seals do you mean?

You don't need any oil seals to change the gearbox oil, you just need a long tube.
Pingu
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Replace the compression washer on the drain and filler plug nuts. They are either copper or aluminium, and you should be able to get the correct item from your BMW spares dealers. Other than that, a piece of plastic tubing of about 1,5 meters and some ducktape. Plastic tubing to fix to one of the tops of the bottle, and ducktape to keep it in position. This will allow you to stick the tube into the filler hole in the G/box while holding the bottle high enough for the oil to run down the tube.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Southernboy wrote:Replace the compression washer on the drain and filler plug nuts. They are either copper or aluminium, and you should be able to get the correct item from your BMW spares dealers. Other than that, a piece of plastic tubing of about 1,5 meters and some ducktape. Plastic tubing to fix to one of the tops of the bottle, and ducktape to keep it in position. This will allow you to stick the tube into the filler hole in the G/box while holding the bottle high enough for the oil to run down the tube.
Many thanks sir

The 'BEAST' 666
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

always a pleasure to help you Badman :twisted:
"Normal is overrated"

Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

I was reading mike f's guide on changing the engine oil too.

Very good and thorough guide.

Especially the info regarding the small seals inside the oil filter case.

Thanks mike.

The 'BEAST' 666
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Southernboy wrote:Replace the compression washer on the drain and filler plug nuts. They are either copper or aluminium, and you should be able to get the correct item from your BMW spares dealers. Other than that, a piece of plastic tubing of about 1,5 meters and some ducktape. Plastic tubing to fix to one of the tops of the bottle, and ducktape to keep it in position. This will allow you to stick the tube into the filler hole in the G/box while holding the bottle high enough for the oil to run down the tube.
My gearbox does not have any compression seals. It has tapered plugs. Check your car.

Remove belly plates. Prepare ramps and go for a drive to get the oil warm. Drive straight on the ramps and jack up the rear of the car to get it level.

Undo the filler plug first, because if this doesn't come out and you have drained the oil, you have a major problem.

Undo the drain plug. Collect and dispose of old oil. You can lower and raise the jack to get as much oil out as possible.

Refit drain plug (50 Nm).

DO NOT overtighten the plugs (50 Nm) as you may crack the gearbox. You can use PTFE tape to aid the seal if it still leaks.

With the car level, fill until it is overflowing. Refit filler plug. Do not refit belly plates yet.

Go for a drive and return to ramps. Jack up rear so car is level. Recheck and add oil if necessary.

Refit belly plates.

Go for a drive and enjoy :D .
Pingu
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Must say, I've never come across a fill or drain plug which was tapered..?? They most certainly are not taper bolts on my car, they're identical to the diff plugs. Maybe you have a different spec over there...?
"Normal is overrated"

Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

pingu wrote:
My gearbox does not have any compression seals. It has tapered plugs. Check your car.

Remove belly plates. Prepare ramps and go for a drive to get the oil warm. Drive straight on the ramps and jack up the rear of the car to get it level.

Undo the filler plug first, because if this doesn't come out and you have drained the oil, you have a major problem.

Undo the drain plug. Collect and dispose of old oil. You can lower and raise the jack to get as much oil out as possible.

Refit drain plug (50 Nm).

DO NOT overtighten the plugs (50 Nm) as you may crack the gearbox. You can use PTFE tape to aid the seal if it still leaks.

With the car level, fill until it is overflowing. Refit filler plug. Do not refit belly plates yet.

Go for a drive and return to ramps. Jack up rear so car is level. Recheck and add oil if necessary.

Refit belly plates.

Go for a drive and enjoy :D .
Thanks very much sir. 8-)

The 'BEAST' 666
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

One quick question, are there any pictures that show the gearbox drain point and the filler point.

Many thanks

Mark

Ps I take it that the belly plates cover the engine oil drain plug too?

The 'BEAST' 666
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Badman gee wrote:One quick question, are there any pictures that show the gearbox drain point and the filler point.

Many thanks

Mark

Ps I take it that the belly plates cover the engine oil drain plug too?

There are two Number 5s on the drawing. One is the drain plug and the other is the filler plug. My memory is playing tricks on me as I thought the filler was on the left, but when you are on your back, the world is upsidedown.

Yes, the belly plates cover the engine oil drain plug as well.
Pingu
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Thanks,

When I looked on the opie oils site, the reccomend 5w30 castrol edge for the m roadster.

And some 5w40 oils. Am I ok with the 5w30?

Last question sorry!

Above question regarding engine oil.

The 'BEAST' 666
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

The Castrol site recommends 5W-40 for the S50 engine and 10W-60 for the S54 engine. Opie oils have technical PDF leaflet which is a bit critical of 10W-60 engine oil suggesting it is a bit too thick. I would have thought the higher number of 40 would be better for the high performance M engine to give better higher temperature protection.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectionb ... Id=7072854
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Thanks all, so much to choose from!

The 'BEAST' 666
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Southernboy wrote:Must say, I've never come across a fill or drain plug which was tapered..?? They most certainly are not taper bolts on my car, they're identical to the diff plugs. Maybe you have a different spec over there...?
Mine are tapered, well the filler one is definitely and was extremely tight to remove, perhaps changed on lifetime fill gearboxs perhaps. The thread is quite obviously tapers and doesn't fully screw in.
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Filler plug and drain plug don't need any gasket or washer. And you can keep the original ones, no need to change.

I did mine a few weeks ago and had no problem. I used some MTF-LT2 from BMW (red). Equivalant to 75W90, any brand should do, castrol call it the "CASTROL SYNTRANS B 75W"