Looking at Z3M roadster tomorrow

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Strikem

M roadster S50

Looking at Z3M roadster tomorrow

Post by Strikem »

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, but will hopefully be around as soon as I buy a car.

I'm looking at a 2000 model tomorrow. I have already test driven a Z3M roadster week and loved it. The one from last week had 75k odd on the clock and felt as smooth as anything.

Tomorrow I'm looking at 68k miles, and has the 19 ac schnitzer wheels, (last weeks one was on originals). It has the lovely all black interior, and its in stunning blue.

I know to look out for the following:

Water pump replaced
Vanos
Rod Bearings on crank
Rear diff welds
Rear boot latch
Rear shock bushes

It's got full service history, I'm good with cars, so know the general stuff to look for,must wondered if there was anything else??
Any other advice you can give me??

Thank si advance, look forward to chatting and seeing you all
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Re: Looking at Z3M roadster tomorrow

Post by chrisp_1 »

Good luck.

Check headlight switch dimmer function.
Check roof operation, micro-switch above passenger seat and brake pedal are both there to stop you operating it incorrectly.
Seat adjusters, up/down, forward/back as often jam.
Valve clearance need doing at 60k, mine were done with VANOS.

too much to write now mate, sure others will dib in :D
Strikem

M roadster S50

Post by Strikem »

Too much to write hey!! Ominous. Haha

Cool ill check the clearances, there quite a big job are they not??

Yes I noticed the roof operates only once the foot is on the brake.

On the dimmer switch function, what does that involve? Auto dimming? Or just manual??

Thanks again
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

chrisp_1 wrote:Check headlight switch dimmer function.
Its so your dash lights can be dimmed.
Most dimmers stop or become intermittent, its easy to bypass it though are on full brightness all the time.
But do you really need to dim the dash lights? I find oncoming headlights are more of a dazzle, and a dash dimmer the most pointless of gadgets ever fitted.
I don't think that would be a deal breaker, if it was, you really need a brand new car.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Strikem

M roadster S50

Post by Strikem »

Oh god is that what you meant. Geeee I have the dash lights on full always. Never dim tom. Yes indeed a very pointless feature. Thanks for the clarification.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

If its 2000 reg is probably a post 04/99 production S50 so will be facelift ie roof liner, central locking fuel cap, upgraded electrics etc.... Pretty minor stuff really but if you have a like or like choice between pre and post 04/99 cars they are worth having.

19 inch wheels are larger than normally recommended on Z3's so check ARB's are connected properly etc ;-) Also run your hand around the front wheel arch liner to see if the wheels are catching on full lock if the suspension has also been lowered. With 60k plus miles you ideally need evidence of a recognised suspension refresh but if not and rides well no great problem as it sounds like you can do it yourself and use as a bargaining tool ;-)

Good luck
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Strikem

M roadster S50

Post by Strikem »

Thanks Jonttt for the advice.

Love your red z3m. Very nice will be taking some inspiration from it.
Strikem

M roadster S50

Post by Strikem »

I've just realised this is in the wrong area/thread. Should be in M roadster & coupe. Can someone move it for me please??

Mod Edit - done
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

lift bonnet and look at the the slam panel to see if its had any prangs.
check seats move,
lift the carpets in the boot to check for water.
corrosion around the wing mirror bases.
the badness makes me do it...!

Strikem

M roadster S50

Post by Strikem »

Soo am here still looking at the car.

Two things;

1) there is a knocking noise when I accelerate from rolling or stop, and then lift off. So as if I were to accelerate to around 10mph then lift off. It sounds like a knocking from under the car, only knocks maybe twice. Can't be sure what it is. It don't affect the gear changes or anything. Or performance!! Any ideas???

2) after a good run, I came back and let it idle, there seemed to be a ticking or knocking noise from the engine that wasnt there befe. I can't work out where from under the bonnect, but could it be the water pump? It was replaced in 2009 though. Any other ideas? The ticking noise increase with the revs, then decreases when lifting off the throttle. It seems to get better after its cooled. Will try again in morning as it will be cool.

Would love some suggestions to iChat if possible???
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

1 rear ARB come off ..?
2 could be a number of things... try under the oil filter...theres a valve under there that can tick away with its self as the oils pushed through

Strikem

M roadster S50

Post by Strikem »

1) ARB: anti roll bar??
2) ill have a listen! And get back to you.
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

ticking???? you sure its not the VANOS grumbling ???

Anyway, I'd expect it to be seriously cheap with faults TBH, my car has just been written off for an exhaust, r.control arm, fan cowl and re-spray - bill came to £9.5K to fix, beware of lemons :roll:
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

anti roll bar it can pop out at the rear...my M had it when i bought it....no big deal

Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Its hard to diagnose the ticking from a pure description. However S50 / S54 engines are highly tuned as can feel a little "rough" at idle and have a ticking noise which is normal and can put people off a good engine if they are not familiar with their characteristic feel. Thats why it helpd to drive a few of have experience of M3's to know what is "normal" or not ;-)
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Strikem

M roadster S50

Post by Strikem »

Thanks guys. It got a full service history. Recently had a service so I would expect the engine to be in good nick. However this ticking noise is definitely after a good run. But not now this morning. Weird!!!? Any ideas?

I can't see where the anti-roll bar may be located at the rear. I cant see anything under there that's come loose. Can anyone guide me, or is it a ramp job??
Strikem

M roadster S50

Post by Strikem »

Sorry when I say the ticking noise is not there this morning I mean when I have started it from cold!!
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

The ARB is connected to the trailing arm each side with short droplinks and to the underside of the boot floor by fixed brackets.

The ticking noise is most probably Vanos gear rumbles, which is only a sign of wear and not neccessarily failure. from under the bonnet rev the engine to 2500rpm allow the revs to drop, you may hear the rumble as the engine returns to idle. The noise could also be valve noise, these are adjusted using shims.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

The ///M start up sound is not a pleasant noise until warm.
But as you must experience this gazza, with your beasts.
Tick over of a big cold engine is not its best feature
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

He has the opposite Boysie ie ticking when warm not cold.

Again its hard to tell. I would take it to a local Indy (have you bought it ?) and they will be able to tell by listening. It could well be normal for the engine ie I've seen a few queries from new owners on here with their first S50 engine ask similar questions. An S54 does it noticeably as well and at first it can be offputting but I know its normal for an S54 engine as they all have the characteristic. It does seem more noticeable when the car is up to temp thats why I think its all it may be.
Strikem

M roadster S50

Post by Strikem »

Thanks guys. Long story but I purchased it. Lovely drive. Need some advice, and I'm going to make a list but first I wanna take it to an Indy. Anybody know of one in Essex / east London / Hertfordshire? In based in Loughton, just of m25 jct 26.

Mainly for engine and driveshaft advice and checking. ;-)

What a car!!!!!!!!!!
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Enjoy your purchase, look forward to some pics :)
mrwhippy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mrwhippy »

Looking forward to the pics. If it's the one in Fife (on Pistonheads) it looks like you've got yourself a bargain.
Strikem

M roadster S50

Post by Strikem »

It was indeed.

Its a long story on how I finally got it............

Cosmetically it was a bit rough around the edges, though spent today detailing it. Especially trying to remove the horrible (in my opinion) interior metal chrome air vent /button /tray surrounds that we're glued everywhere!! Luckily it has actually preserved the plastic underneth.

Alot of the exterior M badges have faded and the dash board plastic was very dry. Used some great Sonax products from Germany on the inside. Brought it all up quite well. Also gave the car a good wax and polish.

I've had a fair few BMW in my time, however this is my first 3.2ltr M power engine. So really want to make sure running gear and engine are sound. Got loads and loads of plans for this baby. Mostly cosmetic. :-)

Ill post pictures up shortly.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I use SBS Eclipse based in Barking on the A13
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage