Intermittent Interior Clock

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Intermittent Interior Clock

Post by g8jka »

I have the M console fitted in my car and recently its beginning to act weird and lose the time. It seems to work ok with the engine running or when driving but when parked its losing time very fast.

I presume its a dodgy connection somewhere but anyone else experienced similar? It sounds like something to do with the permanent live connection?
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
petecossie

M coupe S50

Re: Intermittent Interior Clock

Post by petecossie »

I have the same problem with my clock in Z3 M Coupe. Be interesting to find out if it is the clock itself or a wiring fault.

I might have a word with the auto electrician who installed my new Alpine DAB radio earlier in the year to see if he has a solution.
Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black Interior.

Previous BMWs
2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black Interior.
2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black/Black Interior
1986 M635
1985 E28 M5
1983 E28 528i Alpina
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

That is very weird....according to Einstein, the faster you go the slower time will move..in your case it's the reverse...you're driving in a time warp... :roflmao:

On a more serious note, it seems the current into the clock is weak...I doubt a connection is the issue...it's either connected or not - at any speed... I would suggest the clock is faulty, or the battery is on it's way out... Once you start the car, the alternator takes over, and supplies sufficient current to all the appliances...when you shut down, the battery must maintain the few constantly operational items such as alarm, clock, cigarette lighter outlet etc.
The last consideration is the possibility that you have a current leakage on that circuit which is drawing power when the ignition is turned off. Check the circuit you are connected to is a dedicated constant power circuit..like the cigarette lighter..or even connect the clock to that circuit and test it's functionality overnight...if it is still losing time, then I would suggest the clock is malfunctioning. If you can lay your hands on an alternate clock, you could test that on the circuit you're presently connected to and determine which aspect is the culprit....... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Grandfather clock?

The 'BEAST' 666
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

BMG.....Have you just come in from the friday night drinks at the office...?? I was thinking Cuckoo Clock....? :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Southernboy wrote:BMG.....Have you just come in from the friday night drinks at the office...?? I was thinking Cuckoo Clock....? :wink:
I have

The 'BEAST' 666
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Grandfather clock with a large vertical dangler

The 'BEAST' 666
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

You've obviously had a good night out... You could be a "dangler" to yourself.... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Southernboy wrote:You've obviously had a good night out... You could be a "dangler" to yourself.... :D
Ha

The 'BEAST' 666
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Pussy got your tongue BMG?... :roflmao:
"Normal is overrated"

Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

g8jka wrote:I have the M console fitted in my car and recently its beginning to act weird and lose the time. It seems to work ok with the engine running or when driving but when parked its losing time very fast.

I presume its a dodgy connection somewhere but anyone else experienced similar? It sounds like something to do with the permanent live connection?
Leave the engine running :squeeze:

The 'BEAST' 666
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Big Ben do you gooka?

The 'BEAST' 666
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

g8jka wrote:I have the M console fitted in my car and recently its beginning to act weird and lose the time. It seems to work ok with the engine running or when driving but when parked its losing time very fast.

How old is the battery in your car? Do you know what voltage is present at the clock when the ignition is off?
petecossie

M coupe S50

Post by petecossie »

Brian H wrote:

How old is the battery in your car? Do you know what voltage is present at the clock when the ignition is off?
The battery in my car is brand new. Only replaced a couple of months back.

The clock has been on go slow since I bought the car last year. I think the guy I bought it off must have set to the correct time before I picked it up as I only noticed a few days later. I'm looking at getting a new VDO one from States although it is not a exact copy of existing clock it is similar. Just got to sort out chrome bezel profile then take the plunge. However I might still check with auto electrician first to see what he says.
The new price from bmminiparts is astronomical (£177 !!!!).
Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black Interior.

Previous BMWs
2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black Interior.
2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black/Black Interior
1986 M635
1985 E28 M5
1983 E28 528i Alpina
Ballie

M roadster S50

Post by Ballie »

Isn't this a common problem that we have addressed before in this forum? My clock hasn't kept the correct time in years.
Image Proud to be British!
Joycey

M roadster S52

Post by Joycey »

Mines the digital clock, I have owned the car nearly 3 years and every few weeks i loose 5-10 mins. So strange.

Joycey
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I have the OEM analogue clock...and it keeps absolute perfect time....If you remove the clock, look at the back and you will see an adjustment to increase / decrease it's speed...It seems to be callibrated, so may determine the ammount of adjustment you require......alternately, if it is on it's way out...replace with a good lookalike..
"Normal is overrated"

bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Did this issue get resolved, I have noticed my clock is also running slow on my Z3M.

I am hoping the answer is "Yes, turn the faster screw on the back" but I fear I may be being optimistic?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

I always thought the clock was a waste to be honest as most head units will display the time anyway. I would rather have a oil pressure gauge there instead, but my clock lost about 5 mins over a year
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...hey you northern types need to consider using anti-freeze to lube your cocks...obviously a weather related issue... :roflmao:
"Normal is overrated"

gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Southernboy wrote:...hey you northern types need to consider using anti-freeze to lube your cocks...obviously a weather related issue... :roflmao:

what that a deliberate spelling mistake?

:oops:

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

Freudian slip :D
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...Oooops! :oops:
"Normal is overrated"