Z3M Wheel Paint code?

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
drummachine

M roadster S50

Z3M Wheel Paint code?

Post by drummachine »

Hi guys

Im having the wheels on my 99 M Roadster completely refurbished tomorrow. Apparently there are two colours these were done in? Forgive me im new to the Z3M scene but if this is the case any idea what mine would be so they look the same?
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Z3M Wheel Paint code?

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I think they came in Shadow Chrome and Hyper Silver depending on the year. They are multi-layer processes rather than just one colour.

Your refurbisher may or may not be equipped to do them - if it's a bloke-in-a-van operation then they won't be able to. If it's a 'proper' place that can do powder coating and so on, they should have samples of finishes to match against.
drummachine

M roadster S50

Post by drummachine »

Thanks for the reply....could be just what I need!
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Silver would have been the colour on your S50 and the later S54 had Shadow Chrome
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
4pipesalute

M roadster S50

Post by 4pipesalute »

Shadow Chrome tone varies but usually slightly darker than the earlier S50 model year, but looks slightly more chrome metalic. (Like melted metal alloy)
Personally, I have a stock unmodified 1999 S50 and I am also restroing the wheels (getting quotes) -Maybe we can aim for a deal for 2 sets as thye can share paint/processes to make it easier.

Anyway, i am actually going for the 'shadow chrome' on the S50, even though this is 'strictly speaking' non standard for the S50. But they are a better finish in my view -as long as not too dark (again in my view).
I will probably ask them to tray and keep it a ligh shadow chrome, rather than dark. Achieved by a bit kore paint layering over the baked powder coated finish I think)

I have had a quote from Rimstock/Birmingham. (I am also seeking a quote from Lepsoms in Kent)
My research leads me to believe these are the best 2 places. (One guy sent his wheels to Rimstock from Norway!! - He seemed over the moon with the results)

Cheers,
Mark
4pipesalute

M roadster S50

Post by 4pipesalute »

Just seen how old your post was - that's embarassing!!! :head:
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

I have shadow chrome rims on my car and they need refurbing. I live in Solihull so Rimstock would be convenient if they are any good. May I ask what quote you have from them and it would be interesting to hear if they would do a discount on 2 cars.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
4pipesalute

M roadster S50

Post by 4pipesalute »

Hi Phil,

ok, cool.

I was quoted as follows:

Total price to you:-
Wheels £310.00
Tyrestrip £30.00
Carriage £40.00
VAT £76.00
Total cost to you £456.00

I think that you could knock off the carriage if local?

I will ask them what reduction (if any) they will do for 2 car sets.
Mark
the_youth

M roadster S50

Post by the_youth »

God that sounds expensive! I use a guy local to me (Lichfield) and I'm gonna see what he will do mine for but as a guide he's done 2 sets of 15" for my track car in white and red (full blast, powder and paint) at £35 a wheel. He also did a set of 18" type 32s for my E46 a couple of years ago and cost roughly the same.
No he's not a "back of the van' type guy but a pro who takes pride in his work. He's also a regular on BMW car club track days and knows reputation is important.
Lichfield ain't far from Solihull. I'll keep you posted.

I'm debating dark shadow chrome on mine or maybe black. Though I did see an Estoril M Coupe with gloss white wheels at Croft and it looked fantastic!
the_youth

M roadster S50

Post by the_youth »

FYI - the Type 32s were done in shadow chrome and really set off my 328Ci Sport Black!
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

4pipesalute wrote:Hi Phil,

ok, cool.

I was quoted as follows:

Total price to you:-
Wheels £310.00
Tyrestrip £30.00
Carriage £40.00
VAT £76.00
Total cost to you £456.00

I think that you could knock off the carriage if local?

I will ask them what reduction (if any) they will do for 2 car sets.
Mark
wow that is expensive
I think Lepsoms will be a lot cheaper
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

4pipesalute

M roadster S50

Post by 4pipesalute »

This 'rave' review of Rimstock made me think they really know how do do the Shadow Chrome finish properly... Maybe the price is a reflection of that? (Quality maybe worth paying for?????)

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5 ... ction.html
Mcjazz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Mcjazz »

I have had several sets of wheels powder coated over the years and the finish has never been 100% I recently used what was Lepsons in Swindon now called Platinum Alloys for a set on my old Civic Type R they were perfect 100%, absolutely like brand new wheels. I supplied a new set of tyres so cost all in was £360 that included a factory oem colour which was an additional £40, new tyres fitted and balanced.

I recently asked about shadow chrome and the manager came out to discuss exactly how dark / shinny did I want the outer wheel and did i want the inner barrels plain black etc. cost all in was £380 with me leaving them the car.

No doubt in my experience regarding wheel refurbishing, you get what you pay for.

Moray
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

The Alpina guys use Lepsons and swear by them. Its a long way to go though!
I also think you get what you pay for so I'm still interested in seeing what arrangement might be made for 2 cars.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
4pipesalute

M roadster S50

Post by 4pipesalute »

Hi Phil,

I have sent you a PM...
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Mcjazz wrote:No doubt in my experience regarding wheel refurbishing, you get what you pay for.
Very true and not always obvious when you first get the wheels back. In my experience the longevity of the finish is just as important as it looking great for the first 6 months.

I have used Lepsons in Gilingham and also had a look round Spit and Polish in Tonbridge. Both very good outfits, but not cheap. I also used a local place in Crawley called Wheel Works (http://www.wheelworksuk.co.uk) that did an OK job on my shadow Chrome for £65 a corner. 2 years on and the finish is good except for a stone chip.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue