Beisan v MrVanos

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
rsk289

M coupe S54

Beisan v MrVanos

Post by rsk289 »

I've been following the threads on Vanos repair etc. with interest, as I've bought a '01 MC with 55K, a S54 motor and a very uneven cold idle. I want to do the Vanos, but would like to hear opinions on the best way to get the best long-term result.
I'm a competent mechanic, and the Beisan procedure looks OK if long. But would I get a better result fitting an exchange Vanos such as that supplied by Steve at MrVanos? It looks like MrV's offering has uprated gears, which I wouldn't get with the full repair kit from Beisan. Any opinions on this would be very welcome!
Kornknarr

M roadster S50

Re: Beisan v MrVanos

Post by Kornknarr »

I can only vouch for Beisan. I did their seal repair on my -98 MR S50B32 engine about a month ago.

The results were remarkable. Not only did the cold idle problem I had completely disappear but the engine also sounds much better. I had the rattle repair kit at hand but decided to take one step at the time. Now I do not feel I need to do it.

The best thing is how the car drives. Clearly above my expectations. It pulls much more evenly and strongly. It's such a delight to drive!

Their instructions are flawless. It was the first thing I've ever done in the engine itself but it was possible for a medium competent DIYer as myself to do it just following step by step - rather foolproof I'd say.
rsk289

M coupe S54

Post by rsk289 »

That's useful - thanks.
Does anyone have experience with the S54 engine and these Vanos repairs? I'm not entirely clear what the issues are with the S54 motor - it doesn't appear in several of the engine categories on the Beisan site, but it's there in the procedures.
Thanks
Roger
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

My S50 and my cousins S50 MC have both been done by Steve 'Mrvanos' and we have had no trouble. Mines been done about 3 years and its perfect. He now uses upgraded solenoid seals that are far superior to the originals that are prone to leak.

:wink:
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Kornknarr

M roadster S50

Post by Kornknarr »

I couldn´t find much about the S54 on Beisans homepage.I found this which might be of help to you though: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=441481

Per