Z3M coupe rear shock mounts

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
rsk289

M coupe S54

Z3M coupe rear shock mounts

Post by rsk289 »

Has anyone on here replaced the rear dampers on Z3M Coupe?
I'm confused by the TIS second page, which says:

Z 3 Roadster, Z 3 Coupé:
If the support bearing is replaced, a rubber washer (refer to EPC) must be stuck in the middle to the lower side of the joint seat (2) and in the middle to the upper side of the support element (5).
It is absolutely essential to ensure an exact bond in the middle so that the rubber washer is not jammed when screwed in between the inner sleeve of the support bearing (3) and the joint seat (2) or support element (5).

I've removed the old ones, and I can't identify any rubber washers as mentioned above. They are shown but not listed on the Real OEM site for my VIN, but on earlier roadster Real OEM pages they are identified with a part number. Should I fit them, or not, as there weren't any on before?

Roger
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Z3M coupe rear shock mounts

Post by Robert T »

I take it that it is this diagram that you are referring to and to part #17 in particular:

Single components for rear spring strut - BMW parts catalog

Part #17 was not listed for an European RHD S54 Coupe for any of the build dates 03/00, 03/01 or 03/02, so I am not sure what models it applies to. What was the part number that you found? Can you not get a part cross reference out of RealOEM - this tells you all the vehicles it was fitted to. I should be able to get it out of BMWFans if you give me the part number. Also, what is the build date and spec of your car (I was guessing at European RHD) - build date is on a sticker on one of the front suspension strut towers.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
chevron

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by chevron »

On the early z3 there was a Si to fit this part and a couple of others and the thick reinforcement plate if not fitted to stop noise from the rear shock absorbers if you would like a copy of it emailing to you I can do this Monday when in work
rsk289

M coupe S54

Post by rsk289 »

Well, I'm going entirely by the TIS on shock absorber replacement, which I quoted in the post, which says:

'Z 3 Roadster, Z 3 Coupé:
If the support bearing is replaced, a rubber washer (refer to EPC) must be stuck in the middle to the lower side of the joint seat (2) and in the middle to the upper side of the support element (5).
It is absolutely essential to ensure an exact bond in the middle so that the rubber washer is not jammed when screwed in between the inner sleeve of the support bearing (3) and the joint seat (2) or support element (5).'

My car didn't have any separate rubber washers as described above in the TIS when I took the shockers off. Looking at the Real OEM diagram, it must be part 17 that is being referred to. For my car details, (2001 M Coupe, UK RHD) part 17 shows on the RealOEM diagram but is not listed beneath, so no part number. If I look up a different car, say a '99 2.0 roadster, it does show, and has part number 33526751174, described as 'washer-gasket'.

I guess if this part doesn't show in the RealOEM diagram, my car shouldn't have them fitted. Seems a bit weird that some variants would have it, and some not, given that the design is the same.

Thanks for the help, guys!
Roger
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Parts cross-reference reveals that the washers were not fitted to any of the ///M cars - roadster or coupe. See http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/33526751174/

There are non-///M versions of the coupe, so I am assuming that your above directive aimed at those. You would need to read chevron's information to see if it applies to the ///M cars.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
rsk289

M coupe S54

Post by rsk289 »

Very helpful, thanks - this is a UK market M coupe so I shall assume these are not needed, especially as they weren't present on dismantling.

Thanks guys, very helpful!

Roger