M side vents/grille

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Benm

Z3 roadster 2.2i

M side vents/grille

Post by Benm »

Hey,
Just joined today as I thought it was time to join a forum for z roadster enthusiasts. I've had my 2001 2.2 m sport roadster for about 9 months now (will upload pics soon).
One of the parts I have been looking for are the m roadster/coupe side vents (in titanium silver). I'm not trying to copy the design of the roadster as I'm not a fan of making a car something it isn't but I am a big fan of the side vents. Basically, I'm hoping someone might be able to sell me some, if not point me in the right direction to get some. I know there are some available but nothing short of £400. The only other option is to buy one in another colour and get it resprayed (either professionally or myself).
Aside from that, it would be good to see what other peoples opinions are on having m side vents as opposed to the standard shark grilles.

Cheers

Ben
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Re: M side vents/grille

Post by Jonttt »

I think they look great but better with the ///M badge removed and the indent filled. I've your re painting anyway it's an easy conversion.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Welcome aboard! Have you tried the Real oem website, never looked on there for them but may be worth a punt. They do look good and why not fit some if that's what you like. Enjoy the forum! :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

These are often available from the USA...fortunately, they will fit RHD or LHD cars...have a search in eBay... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

A modification I also looked into.

I was intending on having the m badge taken off and filled but at the time I was looking for them they were a fairly expensive mod I just couldnt justify.

:(

Maybe sometime this year... :D
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

They do look good, BUT must have the ///M badge filled unless you have an ///M

from this - eBay finds, time consuming but possible

No close ups, but I've tried the standard Z3 shark fins with the BMW badge filled, too big for my liking

Or

Create a colour theme

Yes, own car whoring going on!
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Dino D is selling a set on eBay. There up for £189 plus p&p if this is any good to you. :)

Cheers
Dave

Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

The good old ///M topic does make me giggle !!!
you can't have an ///M badge on a non ///M car yet BMW sold thousands of standard Z3's which come out the factory with an ///M on the steering wheel !

How funny my view is it's your car so do what you want to it and if you want to put ///M badges on your 1.9 then you crack on !
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

yep, I found out that mine rolled off the production line with a M steering wheel as an optional extra.... I say put M badges all round :D
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Oh dear :roll:

Put an ///M badge on the boot, it will look great :lol:
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Stormy_be

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Stormy_be »

Personally, I would limit the number of M-badges on a non-M car.
Even today, you have 320d's with an M-sport-package...giving them lots of M-badges.
It's a marketing strategy of BMW......and it works....as people are willing to pay more for an "M-package" then for a "sports-package" even if the content would be the same...the human brain can be something stupid :roll:
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

i might take my ///M badge off.....just to be different :lol:
the badness makes me do it...!

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

...my M gills are at the paint shop being filled and painted...
I don't have a problem with anyone and their badging choices, but it does seem unfair to the true M car owners who have chosen the M's just so they can have the badges that mean something. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

To be honest if youre going to fit the M gills anyway then why remove the M badge? Its just another badge along with the others on the interior.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

It's good we all have different opinions on the cosmetics, power units and modifications of our motors but one thing is certain and that is we all love our cars !!!
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Here here woody! I couldn't agree more. Everyone has different wants and tastes when it comes to there cars and life would be extremely boring if we had things the same. If people like totally original cars or heavy mods that can only be for the greater good. It gives us all something to talk about tho eh!! :lol:

Cheers
Dave

Benm

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Benm »

Wow, I only just checked this and was not expecting that many responses! Thanks for all your comments, taking it all on board.
I have bought some in estriol blue and looking to respray them (got a good deal at £130 :) ) not decided if I am going to take off the m badge yet though as my z3 came with the m badge on the boot as an extra I'd assume, but we'll see.
Only challenge is now re spraying it
Z3andZ4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Z3andZ4 »

One does have therefore have to question why BMW themselves have so de-valued (imho) the M badge.

It's on everything these days, lots of things it shouldn't be allowed even close to X6? etc etc.

So why shouldn't we do the same.

I have my M badge OFF my Z4M coupe and it was de-badged at birth from new, because frankly it annoyed me and un-balanced the boot!!!!

I personally prefer to keep my M's where they should be and as for my 3 series barge having M Sport anywhere near it who are BMW kidding - two tons of metal, 2.2 litres and it's anything but an M or a sport!!

Hey ho - each to their own.

Live and let live.
2001 Z3 3 litre Sport Roadster - titanium and special
2006 Z4M coupe - Interlagos and red
http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q62 ... huiwqu.jpg
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Z3andZ4 wrote:One does have therefore have to question why BMW themselves have so de-valued (imho) the M badge.
I think the answer is that very few true M models are sold and BMW have seen (as also shown on this forum) that the M styling is popular and helps sell cars. If people are buying a new 320d BMW they want the one with the M Sport package. One rarely gets the chance to use the M performance of say 0-60 (5 secs.) and top speed of 150 MPH on today's crowded roads so why not have a car that just looks the part. I bet if BMW still sold an "M style kit" for the Z3 they would sell like hot cakes :)
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Benm wrote:?..........as my z3 came with the m badge on the boot as an extra I'd assume, but we'll see.
BMW only ever fit ///M badges to the boots of ///M cars. In fact to even get an ///M boot badge you are supposed to provide a VIN from an ///M car. I guarantee an ///M badge on the boot of any BMW that is not an ///M car is a cheap ebay Chinese copy put on by a previous owner.

There is no doubt BMW have devalued the ///M brand with the Msport packages but that is the power / appeal of the badge but they have stayed clear of sticking one on the boot.

Of course you can stick any badges anywhere on your car you like but my views are pretty simple = why? Ie to most people it will make no difference and those that know what the badge really means will just roll their eyes and laugh.
Benm

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Benm »

its interestign to see how peoples oppinions differ!
I think that a car shouldnt try to be what it isnt (as I said earlier)! But thats not to say you shouldn't put an M badge on your bm. Its personal preference. I just prefer the m side grills to the standard ones for the z3 so why not :). Obviously I would love an m roadster, but being 23 and still a student, I am very content with my 2.2 zed.

In regards to the m on the boot, I have been told that it came with the car as part of the m sport package, but ill look into it now.

It all depends on what your opinion is on what the "m" means to you. I can see from an m roadtser owners point of view that some people might laugh at people sticking m over their car but personally, I would think with a 3.2 under my bonnet, I couldn't care less what other people do to their cars :)
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Woody1000 wrote:The good old ///M topic does make me giggle !!!
you can't have an ///M badge on a non ///M car yet BMW sold thousands of standard Z3's which come out the factory with an ///M on the steering wheel !

How funny my view is it's your car so do what you want to it and if you want to put ///M badges on your 1.9 then you crack on !

It never bothered me even when I had the Z4M.
They have a badge to make them happy, I had the M engine to make me happy.
Why worry? Its their car they can do whatever they want with it. Who are we to say what people should or should not do with their property. :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

I could not agree more!

M engine is what makes me happy, although M badges are very nice to have. I can understand that there are a lot of people who dream of the M but it is just not feasible for them to own one (increased cost of everything, maybe not even possible to insure one), so M badges give them a slice of that dream. Or they just simply prefer the M styling. In either case, who am I to judge?
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Benm wrote:
In regards to the m on the boot, I have been told that it came with the car as part of the m sport package, but ill look into it now.
I can guarantee that whoever told you that had no idea what they where talking about for 2 reasons:

BMW have never put ///M boot badges on none ///M cars
There is no such thing as an Msport Z3 in any case. The Z3s all predate the Msport package branding. The Sport package came out as a run out option on the later cars.

Lots of Z3s have M badged gear sticks , steering wheels etc but these where not Msport models. Rumour is that BMW ran short of none badged ones so stuck the optional ones on for free for some time.

Ps the 2.2 is my favorite all round Z3 especially in sport guise.
Benm

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Benm »

Fair enough Jonttt. I cant seem to find any thing online about it. Either way I like it there :). I would probably do the same now if there wasn't one there lol.