Good garage near North London? And other service related Qs

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Good garage near North London? And other service related Qs

Post by janijoeli »

I bought my Z3M a couple months ago. So far I have done very little miles on it, but a very long roadtrip is in the plans for late spring / early summer. As I don't know much about the history of Giorgio, I would like to treat it with a thorough service before the roadtrip.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good, knowledgeable, reliable - and preferably affordable - garage somewhere in North / North East London or relatively nearby? I am located in Palmers Green, near Enfield.

For a 1998 M Roadster that has done nearly 50k and with unknown history, what should be on the agenda? I've come up with the following list. If something else should be included or something is unnecessary, please let me know - any help is greatly appreciated! :bow

- Inspection 2, plus the following (if not already included):
- Change liquids and flush systems: Engine, gearbox, diff, coolant, brakes, anything else? Is changing clutch and power steering fluids a bit overkill?
- Change all filters (sans air filter, as Simota): Oil filter, fuel filter, anything else?
- Add the missing bolt to the LH drive shaft! Also check that the CV joint has not dried up due to bolts being loose.
- Check valve clearances (apart from shims I have all parts for this already, so if I have time I might do it myself)

Cheers,
Jani
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Re: Good garage near North London? And other service related

Post by janijoeli »

Any recommendations of a garage, anyone? Anything?

Should I expand the area a bit - anywhere in London, or somewhere a bit north from north London? :D
Murf

M roadster S50

Post by Murf »

Not used them myself (other end of the country) but CPC in Amersham always get a lot of good comments over on PH - they just about fall under north of north London :D
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

Thanks mate, you opened the Pandora's box - searching even just this forum with "CPC" and several posts come up, nothing but praises. Haven't found a single negative comment about them yet!

Some people have also recommended Stephen James in Enfield. They would be conveniently close to me, but google reveals that the quality of their workmanship varies... Some good reviews, but also some very negative ones. So I think it's worth driving a bit further and trying to get my car to CPC (trying, as according to many, they are very busy).
Riccardog

Not specified

Post by Riccardog »

I've taken my BMW (not an M) to CPC in Amersham and found them very good. Its not the cheapest (still cheaper than main dealer) but Phil is very knowledgeable in BMWs and I would trust him with any BMW, probably even more with M cars.
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

CPC have had my Z3, my son's 320TD Compact, and also his Z4M Coupé at various times. I was in there this morning actually. He's is a rare animal; he actually does know what he's doing. :)
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

Thanks chaps, you've convinced me! :D I'll give Phil a call tomorrow. Wish me luck!
Gooseacre

M roadster S50

Post by Gooseacre »

Plus 1000 for Phil at CPC

He is looking after my S54
2001 Z3M S54 LB64010 #10/73
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Maybe a daft question but what is the garage going to do with your simota induction kit? I have a K&N on my A5 and a BMC on my 2.0l but looking for advise and future actions for my S50
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

Car Doctor Phil booked for Monday! :D

Lee, I just emailed you about Simota (and other things).
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

CPC looked after RED before we moved away from London.
Phil is an incredibly knowledgeable chap and passionate about everything BMW old and new, unlike most main dealers.
Unless your car is still under BMW warranty, a top quality independent such as CPC will always be better and cheaper than a main dealer.
If he has time, he'll happily show you round all the ongoing projects he usually has dotted around his workshop.
Only problem is getting a booking because he is definitely a victim of his own success!

Luckily, I now have Eden Motors in Yeovil (a very similar set-up to CPC) who (so far) I trust just as much.... :)

A.