BMW Z3 M steering Guibo/Coupling

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Z3Mroadster

M roadster S50

BMW Z3 M steering Guibo/Coupling

Post by Z3Mroadster »

Hello everyone!
Is it possible to mount the steering Guibo (just the rubber part) of the BMW M3 E36 on Z3 M?Part:32 31 1 092 949
For the Z3 is part of a complete sale, and not separately Guibo,that's the problem.
Do you have the same size, thickness and extent of the holes of the rubber part?
I know I can screw up with screws.

I do not want to put aluminum or polyurethane Guibo.

Thanks!
Z3Mroadster

M roadster S50

Re: BMW Z3 M steering Guibo/Coupling

Post by Z3Mroadster »

Does anyone know?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I don't think anyone on the forum has any experience of this modification.... Perhaps try using google. You might find someone on another forum that has done this or at least asked the question and got an answer. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

I had a look in to this as mine had some play in the joint. The E36 column coupling looks different to the Z3, I can't see it working on the Z3.

I did buy a rubber joint from BMW (most of the older stuff are available as separate parts) that has the right sizes/pitch. I can't remember why, but it doesn't go straight on - something to do with the sleeving so I bought a length of aluminium tube from B&Q to make some sleeves for it. It was some years ago I did this! I'll have it in my garage somewhere.

I did fit it to the car but for some reason the steering squeeked and at the time I was preparing the car for a trackday the next day so in the end I just mounted mine solidly together by simply bolting both halves together with spacers of the same depth as the coupling (just turn the halfs 90degrees to mate together). The ONLY difference, but it's hardly noticeable, is a tiny tiny engine vibration at idle (and I'm fussy about increased vibration). I did intend to reinvestigate replacing the coupling but really solid bolting is fine, no play and nice feel.