Found a loose connector under the seat...

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Found a loose connector under the seat...

Post by janijoeli »

What is it for? No warning lights on dash or anything, so I wouldn't think it is related to the seat occupancy sensor - but what else could it be? I'd plug it back in but had a quick look under the seat and cannot find anywhere to connect it to!

From under passenger seat, if that makes any difference...

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Found a loose connector under the seat...

Post by Southernboy »

...do you have heated seats ?? looks like it could be for that purpose...?
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Do you have a passenger airbag? If not, could be the connector for the occupancy sensor, but you wouldn't have the sensor.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

It is for sure not for heated seats. Heating connector is one of two big connectors similar to moving connector. And then there are two more smaller connectors - one red with 2 wires and this black with 4 wires.

Do you have original seats? (I mean, are you sure, you don't have LHD seats on RHD car?) I think I have the same connector on drivers seat, but I got those seats from USA and I have RHD car.
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

Cheers for help chaps! I do have a passenger airbag, and Indeed the wires would probably be too thin to be for heater.

I don't know very much of the car's history, but I know it's been in a passenger side accident in 2005 or 2006. It is possible that the seat has been changed, although the wear-and-tear is minimal, especially if it would be from driver's side, so if it is a replacement it's from a very low mileage donor car.

If it would be a driver's seat, do you know what could be extra compared to passenger seat? AFAIK both seats have a motor for moving seat back and forth, heater (if applicable), and occupancy sensor (if both sides have airbags). Anything else?

I'll check today if the heater works, just to completely rule that option out - and try to see if I can find an empty socket.
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

It's for the ejector seat.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

They don't both have an occupancy sensor - only the passenger side has that. I think they consider it safe to assume that the driver's seat will be occupied!! :lol:

What wiring do you have down there? I believe there should be thick wiring for the electric seats and seat heaters, a yellow plug for the seatbelt tensioner and a plug for the occupancy sensor.

Out of interest, does your airbag light come on and then go out when you start the car? There seem to be plenty of cars with 'missing' airbag light bulbs!
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Are the wires solid colours or do they have a secondary colour on them, if you confirm what they are and Ill have a look in the ETM.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

Check this image, the black connector is the same as OP's connector - occupancy sensor and the other one is seat belt tensioner.
Heaters and motors have big black and white connectors which are not pictured on this image.
http://www.hc.lv/inc/Upload/news_290/Im ... _41_17.jpg

And you can check Electric troubleshooting manuals depending on your cars year here:
http://www.drive2.ru/l/3138409/
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

Ejector seat... Who knows, after all it is a Bond car. :D

I always thought that the occupancy sensor / seat mat is also used to measure the load to the seat, which (in addition to the impact sensors) would determine if airbags need deploying. For example on sudden change in load (no seatbelts) and a moderate spike from impact, sensors would deploy the airbags. Minor to no change in load but high spike from impact sensors would again deploy. But I guess it's a bit simpler than that - it's really just a "switch" to disable passenger airbag if no one's fat arse is sitting there. :) Just checked ETM, indeed no sensor on driver's side!

It very much looks like this is the connector for the sensor. How it being loose doesn't throw a warning on dashboard, I don't know. It is possible that the previous owner (or his garage) has installed one of these baby deathtraps:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161243290242

I tried to see properly under the seat from front and back, and even take some closeup photos, but couldn't see properly. Will need to take the seat off at some point to check.

Thanks again for the help fellas! :cheers
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Does the airbag light on the dash actually work?
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

It does, it was the first thing I checked. :)
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Is it from a seat belt pretensioner and they have a bypass fitted?

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Connector and wire colouring matches the description of the fasten seatbelt switch/alarm that we don't have on the UK models.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

siwilson wrote:Connector and wire colouring matches the description of the fasten seatbelt switch/alarm that we don't have on the UK models.
I have European model and it also doesn't have it.