Clutch issue and idle issue M///ROADSTER

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Z3 M LEGEND

M roadster S52

Clutch issue and idle issue M///ROADSTER

Post by Z3 M LEGEND »

hi guys
its been a very long time since ive posted on here but was wondering if anyone can help me with a couple of problems, just the other day i noticed a vibration through the clutch pedal when i engaged and disengaged to the biting point it doesnt happen all the time but does frequently, would this be a thrust bearing? there is also a definitive change in noise when i press down the clutch pedal nothing bad just a change in noise, if it is the thrust bearing would it be best to just have a whole new clutch fitted to the car if im having the clutch taken out to look at anyway? the car itself has only covered 43,000 miles which i think is pretty low for a clutch to be replaced but im unsure, another thing is cost of parts and fitting a new clutch?..... my second problem is with the idle, basically first thing in the morning or when cold when i start the car it fails to do so until you actually put your foot on the throttle and rev it lightly once you release the throttle the revs die to about 500rpm or lower and sometimes it completely stalls this happens when approaching junctions and slowing down to a stop when engine is still cold once warm however it starts fine without use of any throttle but then has a tendency to over rev at about 1000rpm to 1600rpm, ive replaced the ICV with no effect and have been told it could be a faulty ECU i wondered if anyone else here has suffered a similar problem and solved it....it would be much appreciated if anyone could give any advice
many thanks
Greg
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Re: Clutch issue and idle issue M///ROADSTER

Post by Jonttt »

It's hard to diagnose a clutch problem without obvious slipping / burning smell unless you actually drive the car so I would take to a decent Indy as it would be bread and butter to them. Mileage is low for a clutch on these but it can obviously depend on how it done those miles as 80k mainly motorway miles would have less use etc......

Re the idle assuming you have an s50 wired throttle it could be something as simple as a sticky throttle wire. The internal lubricant goes with age not use. It could also be simple wire stretch and needs a simple adjustment. You would be amazed how many s50s never achieve wide open throttle because the throttle cable needs adjustment. It's a simple check as the adjustment is next to the throttle body in the engine. It could also be the MAF. Simply disconnect this and the engine will run on a default mapping. You may get an engine warning light but can ignore it whilst the MAF is disconnected. If this solves the problem you need a new MAF. If not reconnect and at least you have ruled it out. The engine light will extinguish after 15 miles or so. If it's not them it would run a diagnostic on the car.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

These little cars are very tough and reliable - even the range topping M model. I would tend to consider the very simple, aged-related issues first. Vacuum leaks (perished rubber) typical cause starting and running issues on a cold engine. Furthermore, on a warm engine if you disconnect a vacuum pipe you will notice the idle increases. With regard to the clutch, I would start by flushing some fresh hydraulic fluid through the slave cylinder and inspect the rubber hose.
Z3 M LEGEND

M roadster S52

Post by Z3 M LEGEND »

thanks very much for the help guys, i agree jon with the sticky throttle it seems by the way it revs it is very uneven and sometimes with a little blip of the throttle it returns back to normal when warm which suggests sticking, i have actually considered replacing the throttle cable completely as i heard from many people it does wonders so does make me wonder too if it is age related rather than actual use seeming as other people have noticed such a difference with there cars, i will disconnect the MAF tommorow and see how that goes :) ..... considering the clutch it is mainly dual carriageway miles and alot of country side cruising as i live down in cornwall so it is very rarely stuck in traffic with stop starting, no burning smell of any sort etc i had the car checked for leaks not long ago and was fine there, i'll take your advice there del and give the slave cylinder a go thank you very much for the help guys much appreciated.......Greg
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

I replaced the throttle cable on the 2.0l and it solved my irratic idle and improved the bite point no end - only cost £20 for a brand new cable. For now I have adjusted the throttle cable on the M as I noticed there was a little bit of play in it when i fitted the crusie control, however, for the sake of £20 I will be replacing the cable on the M as well this summer
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal