Blown engines anyone?

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
the_youth

M roadster S50

Blown engines anyone?

Post by the_youth »

Just curious if anyone has had complete engine failure on a S50. And if so did they repair and what was the cost.

Just curious as it is always back of mind as I've heard horror stories and with an ageing car it is a worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Althulas

M roadster S50

Re: Blown engines anyone?

Post by Althulas »

I spun number 5 conrod bearing on mine from bouncing it off the rev limiter a bit but ? Secondary oil pump under performing. I did a post somewhere regarding cost but a new crank exchanged will set you back £1200 which I think came with conrod bearings but I sourced a second hand one for about £450 I think. I sourced a new oil pump, conrod and recommended ARP conrod bolts to stop those bloody shells spinning. I think off the top of my head I must have spent £700-£800 in parts myself.

The rebuild including balancing the replacement crank, honed out bores, supplied by indie gaskets, oil, filter, head bolts, conrod, main bearings, new rings, new chain and tensioners just £3788 a bit more than the 2K the mechanic thought. In hind sight for that money I would have bought a 3.0, transferred my interior interior into and broke my car for bits.

If your worried about yours I would recommend the ARP bolts.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
the_youth

M roadster S50

Post by the_youth »

Thanks for the response. I have had the ARP bolts recommended from a mech as well as having the vanos done at the same time (no issues with it but better safe than sorry).
I do have a spare engine I was gonna use in my track car but have been debating whether to keep as a spare for the Z should the worst happen. Or whether to sell to find the above work amongst so other nice to haves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

Well now I have a literal zero miles engine which is carefully being run in for a total of 3k miles with a oil and filter changed due at 2K and usual servicing I hope it should last the lifetime of the car now. Plans for next year once funds have been replenished is to changed the suspension, bushes and bearings to refresh the car.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage