Z3M Roadster - New purchase!

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Chazzy

M roadster S50

Z3M Roadster - New purchase!

Post by Chazzy »

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and have joined as I've just acquired a 1999 Z3M Roadster. It used to be my mum's who bought it in 2005, but then sadly she died in 2009. My Dad has been looking after it since, barely using it, and now it's mine. Anyway, I decided to buy it after having to sell my V8 Capri to pay for the stamp duty on my new house, leaving a car sized space in my new garage. The Z seemed like to perfect thing to fill it.

It's not in a great state at the moment as it was used for commuting by my mother and has racked up 100,000 miles. However, it has been regularly serviced and maintained. It now needs some TLC to turn it from an open top run about into something special. My first impressions of it is how much fun it will be, however, the suspension needs sorting out, and there are a number of annoying little problems with it that need addressing. My plan is to do this over the next few months and then hopefully I'll have something to really thrash about and enjoy.

Interestingly, in going through all the documentation with it, and looking under the bonnet, it appears to have had some light modifications to the engine. That being a carbon induction system and ECU remap. In the log book was a dyno print out for 354bhp with the cars registration from west tuning in Thruxton. I've rung them to find out if they have any details about it.

Just out of principle, I'll do a vanos service and replace the filters and seals as it's a little bit noisey. I've also been advised that it's worth changing the throttle cable as these tend to stretch. Overall though, the engine feels okay. I was a little surprised at first as it didn't feel that powerful in the mid range, then I really gave it some revs and it came to life. The top end is fabulous. The gearbox feels solid and it had a complete clutch and mass damper assembly fitted 2 years ago, doing 3000 miles since. I think it needs adjusting though as the pedal is quite long.

The drivers side seat has a lot of play in it which is very disconcerting as it keeps moving forwards and backwards as you brake or accelerate. Thanks to this forum though I've found how to do it, just need to find where to buy the bushes from.

The suspension and dampers are absolutely shot. The car feels quite unstable so one of my first big jobs will be to replace the bushes, rear top mounts, dampers and springs. I need to have a trawl through this forum to find which to go for. The Koni sports set looks like it's reasonably priced and what I'm after, although there are a number of different manufacturers who supply coilovers so I'm very much open to suggestion. I'll probably also have a look into fitting a strut brace, and new ARBs. I'll also do some reading about the diff mounting and welds in the boot - someone on pistonheads mentioned this so I'll investigate when I get home.

The tyres are absolute rubbish, and quite worn, so I'll probably put on some Michelin PS3s. Again, I'll need to trawl through this forum to find out peoples thoughts.

Then onto the body work and looks...... it's scratched, the badges have all faded, and there's a nasty dent in the nearside sil which will need sorting out, and the wheels need refurbishing. The ambient air temperature gauge doesn't work, and the oil temp gauge works intermittently. The hood is okay as it was replaced recently.

I'd love to know what people's thoughts are on what else I should look out for, and what small changes can make a significant different to the enjoyment of the car.
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Z3M Roadster - New purchase!

Post by Cooper01 »

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new purchase.

Looks as if you have a great list of things to do which will keep you busy for a while and your pockets somewhat empty! You may pick up a few other things to do as you progress.

There is a lot of information in the forum for all the things you mentioned including the seat bushes. It's best to search for that than browse through the thousands of threads. The Zeds are relatively easy to fix and maintain. Have fun!

Cooper
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Welcome Chazzy. Seat bushes is an easy job and Aceman on this forum is the man to supply them. Cheers.
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
chill4x4saph

M roadster S54

Post by chill4x4saph »

welcome!

fantastic car in the best colour!
bazza1966

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by bazza1966 »

Welcome Chazzy you've been a very lucky boy :)

Bazza & Zelda
Bazza (East Dorset)
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Welcome.

Can you post up pics of the carbon air box ?

Normally air box and remap alone on an S50 will not get close to 350bhp. Most S50s run closer to 290 up to 320 at most without exhaust side / engine mods and redline lifting to 8000rpm.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Sailorbaz

M roadster S50

Post by Sailorbaz »

Welcome to the Forum mate, from one Newbie to another.

I've recently got my Z3M also but have yet to drive it, having only got it running a couple of days ago.

Look forward to your updates going forward, it appears we have similar jobs to do on our cars.
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Jonttt wrote:Welcome.

Can you post up pics of the carbon air box ?

Normally air box and remap alone on an S50 will not get close to 350bhp. Most S50s run closer to 290 up to 320 at most without exhaust side / engine mods and redline lifting to 8000rpm.

I would look into what modifications it's had done. Like JT said those figures
Don't add up unless its an S54 lump under your bonnet ?
My S50s had the full works from Evolve and it's running 340bhp.

Get some pics up from under the bonnet :D
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Chazzy

M roadster S50

Post by Chazzy »

I have to admit I'm also rathe sceptical about the power. I'm waiting to hear back from west tuning. I'll post some pics up when I'm back in the country on Monday.

In terms of the suspension, I'm leaning towards the Konis at the moment as they seem the best value.

This forum has definitely sparked something in my mind. There's some fantastic looking cars on here and they've inspired me to sort this one out!
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

You will definitely have some fun, great cars to tinker with
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

Welcome to the forum bud.
Any pics of under the bonnet yet?
the badness makes me do it...!

Chazzy

M roadster S50

Post by Chazzy »

I finally took some under bonnet photos. It needs a good clean.

it also looks like there's a stainless manifold, although I imagine that's standard.

Chazzy

M roadster S50

Post by Chazzy »

I've just given it a quick wash and it's now looking quite nice.

swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

It's an expensive bit of induction...

Car looks well after a bit of a spruce up
the badness makes me do it...!

911sc

M roadster S54

Post by 911sc »

Car looks really nice.

Interested to see its a 1999 manufacture with the s50 engine but it's actually registered in May 2002. Was it exported at some point?
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

It's got a gruppeM induction inlet which are basically the same as the Simota but a lot more expensive. I think they where c£800 new and still worth some good money second hand as pretty rare. The simotas are more common as they where c£300.

It will give some induction noise but won't give any real power gains. For real power gains you would need the full CSL carbon induction and de MAF ( the MAF is still fitted on yours)

Unless there are some engine mods I would suggest the dyno reading quoted has been exaggerated quite a bit :!:
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Its a shame no one ever bothered lifting the bonnet but fun for you cleaning it :)

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Chazzy

M roadster S50

Post by Chazzy »

Time for a bit of an update.

The Z is off the road at the moment as I'm cracking into a full suspension rebuild. The plan at the moment is:

Rear sub frame out
weld up boot floor
replace all the bushes
replace top mounts
fit Koni sport springs/dampers
fit H&R roll bar
replace all discs and pads

So far it's been a nightmare. The rear subframe is really fighting back as firstly the handbrake cable outers had seized into the axle and were almost impossible to get out. They will need replacing. All nuts and bolts have rusted so need replacing. I've not yet got the subframe out as the hex bolts holding in the supports in front of the rear bushings all rounded off. The access to them is very tight so drilling them out was not possible. I've got 3 of the 4 out and am still trying to remove the last one. Hopefully I'll then be able to drop the subframe.

I'll take some pictures soon and put them all up.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Lovely cars, becoming rarer with prices rising - well worth investing some money and time renovating. In such circumstances I guess the only dilemma is how far to stray from OE when renovating.
Joycey

M roadster S52

Post by Joycey »

Welcome Chazzy, good choice on the shocks I run a set of adjustable damper koni's on 35mm lower springs and the handling is on point when set to max stiffness.

I have done 11 chassis overhauls over the last year so a couple of tips:

Remove the handbrake cables from inside the car and lower the whole lot out with the axle. The cables are much easier to remove on the bench. I used a centre punch to knock them out after cutting the cable off.

The stubborn bolts are the two that hold the plate on for the beam bolts. 6mm Allen key size if my memory serves me well. I left them soaking for a while and made sure the Allen key socket was firmly in. I did have one case where I had to cut them both off(the heads of the bolts). one with a dremel the other with a grinder. Be careful though as the fuel tank is mm away :)

When lowering the axle out place a jack nearer the front of the diff this seems to be the best point to balance everything.

feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Lee
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Hi chazzy, stick with it mate, The car is so worth restoring. Obviously it'll mean a lot to you with it being your mum's and you seem to know what your doing so the enjoyment and the end result will all be well worth it. And the huge bonus at the end is you'll have a cracking z3m in superb condition worth a good chunk of cash and a hell of a car to go out in and enjoy! Hopefully we may see you at some meets when you've got it all sorted. Good luck to you.
Cheers.
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Chazzy

M roadster S50

Post by Chazzy »

Joycey wrote:The stubborn bolts are the two that hold the plate on for the beam bolts. 6mm Allen key size if my memory serves me well. I left them soaking for a while and made sure the Allen key socket was firmly in. I did have one case where I had to cut them both off(the heads of the bolts). one with a dremel the other with a grinder. Be careful though as the fuel tank is mm away :) Lee
I think I'm going to have to cut one of them out - how did you get the thread out once the subframe was out? access is near on impossible to try and drill into it and get a thread extractor in there! Can you get access to it if you remove the sill bodywork?
Joycey

M roadster S52

Post by Joycey »

The bolt closer to the rear of the car you can get at with your normal grinder, I cut a slit in the bolt head and tapped the bolt loose with a chisel and hammer. I then did the same with the inner bolt head using a dremel.

It's a ball ache of a job but you'll get there in the end. Just be careful of the close proximity of the petrol tank.

Lee
Chazzy

M roadster S50

Post by Chazzy »

I finally got all the bolts out. The forward one of the RHS was a nightmare though - I tried grinding it, putting a slit in it, hammering it.....none of it worked. Eventually I ground the surface of the head down, tapped in an oversized bit, then welded it to the bolt head so it wouldn't spin. Luckily all the heat going into it combined with the weld meant it actually came out reasonably easily. I think all the hammering etc had helped a bit!

I've not got the subframe out yet though as I got distracted with fitting a new head gasket to my kit car. However, this weekend it should drop out and I can weld up the boot floor and diff mount.
Joycey

M roadster S52

Post by Joycey »

Chazzy wrote:I finally got all the bolts out. The forward one of the RHS was a nightmare though - I tried grinding it, putting a slit in it, hammering it.....none of it worked. Eventually I ground the surface of the head down, tapped in an oversized bit, then welded it to the bolt head so it wouldn't spin. Luckily all the heat going into it combined with the weld meant it actually came out reasonably easily. I think all the hammering etc had helped a bit!

I've not got the subframe out yet though as I got distracted with fitting a new head gasket to my kit car. However, this weekend it should drop out and I can weld up the boot floor and diff mount.
Good news!

How are you planning to weld the floor ?

Its on my list to do when I get round to it. My thoughts are to drill out the spot welds and plug weld instead. I hear another method is to run a fillet weld down both sides of the support.

Lee
Chazzy

M roadster S50

Post by Chazzy »

I'm not sure at the moment, I need to see how bad it is close up. I'll probably drill out all the spot welds as they're quite corroded and then bolt it all together to hold it in place. Then seam weld the two sections from the top and from the bottom. Then remove the bolts and plug the holes.

The cracked diff mount and cross member will be a case of welding it, then reinforcing it. I'll put up some pictures when I've assessed how bad it all is!
Chazzy

M roadster S50

Post by Chazzy »

I've been making progress with the Zed recently. It's been on a the back burner a little for the last few weeks as I've been sorting out the engine on my kit car.

Anyway, the rear subframe is now out and it was much trickier than expected due to the stuck handbrake cables and mounting bolts at the front. I've given it a jet wash to get all the road crud off and it does look too bad. There's a bit of rust here and there but I'll wire brush it all off and then give the frame, diff and driveshafts a fresh coat of paint.

Removal has allowed me to see how bad the cracks in the boot/diff mount are and it's not as bad as some of the pictures I've seen in the past. It actually looks like someone has already done some reinforcement in the past as there are some additional welds on the boot floor and where the diff mount meets the floor. The paint is also a slightly different blue to the rest of the boot floor. However, underneath there's a crack in the cross beam and a big hole where the floor has pulled apart at a spot weld.

I've cleaned it up, drilled some holes and bolted it all together. I'll now weld up all the cracks, seam weld the boot floor and then remove the bolts and weld up the holes. I'll also add some additional weld to the diff mount. I'll then seal it all and paint it.

I've also been busy with ordering an H&R roll bar kit, a racing line strut brace, koni sport coilover kit and full set of powerflex bushes. The H&R roll bar kit has already arrived, just waiting for the other bits. I'll finish off the back and then move onto the front which should be a little more straight forward!

Here are some pics:

Subframe assembly after jet washing

Boot floor

Crack in cross beam, hole on the RHS and also some additional welds on the diff mount (now quite rusty!)

Paint taken off and then bolted together through the failed spot welds. I've seam weld this and then weld up the holes.

Cleaned up crack - the bolt on the RHS has pulled all the floor back together and in doing so helped close up the crack. I'll need to reinforce this with some sheet metal.
Chazzy

M roadster S50

Post by Chazzy »

I've been making some progress with the welding. It's all done, I just need to finish off painting it and then I can crack on with fitting new bits.

Another shiny thing arrived today, the wechers racing line strut brace. I think this'll be the last thing I fit!
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

When you put the subframe back on, replace those allen bolts on the sideplates with some normal boltheads, much more reliable, and grease the threads/area of course.
Chazzy

M roadster S50

Post by Chazzy »

Further progress has been made. Everything is painted following the welding. My Koni kit has arrived as well....

Now it's time for suspension bush hell!!
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

Chazzy wrote:Further progress has been made. Everything is painted following the welding. My Koni kit has arrived as well....

Now it's time for suspension bush hell!!
Would you mind popping up a review once fitted? I need to sort my suspension asap

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Now: '99 Z3M Coupe in imola red
Chazzy

M roadster S50

Post by Chazzy »

yeah no problem!

These are all the parts, ready to be fitted, just the tedious job of removing all the old bushes, refurbing the rear beam and fitting it all.

Chazzy

M roadster S50

Post by Chazzy »

The beam bushes are out, it was a bit of a faff, but it's done!

I used a 33mm pitman arm puller and ground it down to fit the slots on the edges of the bushes. I then used a piece of M10 threaded bar with effectively a washer on one end to pull through bush. Then I also used a two arm gear puller to pull against the lip of the bush. Like so:

These were the tools:

£20 in total for the threaded bar, pitman arm puller and gear puller.