Picked up the new S54, and a few photos

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Renaud

M roadster S54

Picked up the new S54, and a few photos

Post by Renaud »

Hello All

From a few days ago, Jonttt asked " Would be great to here some history on the car from the service history, rumour was it lived on the Isle of Man for a while :?: ".

A very high level potted history:
First supplied by BMW Tayside in 2002
It then moved to the Isle of Man in 2003 for 2 years .
For the remainder of its life its been in and around Lancashire, until the the last owner purchased it in April and took the car down to Burton on Trent. I've now taken the car down south to the sunnier climes of Newbury!
The Chap I purchased it form sold it because of ill health, he also has five Alfa's in various states of restoration that he will also be selling.

I think I paid slightly over the odds for a private sale at £14250, but as the car was advertised for £14999 and it was the car that I wanted, I guess it wasn't too over the top. Added to this, I haven't purchased it to sell on on a make a few quid next year, this is one that I'm planing to keep!

Ive started to get some prices to get the wheels re-refurbished in Shadow Chrome and get the a black hood fitted. So I should have it back to looking close to original over the next 6 to 8 weeks, or at least before I SORN it for before the bad weather sets in.

So far, I've found that the windows are very slow (fixed this today with some lube), the boot courtesy lamp wasn't working (fixed by soaking the switch/latch in isopropyl then some lube. I next want to give the leather some treatment as there are a hew scuffs on the drivers side bolster, but nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of time and effort.

Under closer inspection, the paint does have some swirls in it, but again these should come out with a bit of time and effort. The only mechanical thing that I have found is that the front discs have a pronounced lip on them, which is a bit strange as the pads are new all round! I'll get this done over the winter months as their is no dire rush to do them now.

As for driving it, I've only driven it the 130 miles home yesterday, then went out for a little blast at lunch time today and to put some super plus fuel in (found a recent receipt in the car for the cheap stuff). So far, it feels a lot more linear than the S50, in as when you accelerate in the S50 there were/are distinct increases in performance in the higher rev ranges. In the S54 it seems to pull more smoothly across the rev range. The other thing I noticed was the noise, or lack of it, but that could just be that I got used to the sports exhaust I had on the 911 for the last two years.

In short, the S54 is bloody fantastic! Apart from the noise, I haven't missed the 911 at all.

A couple of quick photos after I got the car home, complete with dust dirt and dead flies:

Will post updated photos when the wheels and roof are done.

Rgds

R.
aceman

M roadster S50

Re: Picked up the new S54, and a few photos

Post by aceman »

Wow I am sure Jontt will be along shortly as you have one of only 3 imola red S54's in the country. :shock: :thumb:
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Oooooh looks fantastic, you've captured the deep imola colour well in those pics :wink:

Yep the stock exhaust has no character too it especially compared to an air cooled porsche with RSRs lol but I have eisenmanns race on mine which are loud, too loud for a daily but great on a hobby car. You will struggle I think to get the same character noise of an air cooled porsche especially on overrun but you can improve on the stock exhaust note well. There are a few tried and tested solutions with the cosmetic benefit of bigger wider tips.

Re the wheels, Chris at excel wheels is highly recommended in porsche circles and does BMW wheels, well worth a chat with him if your after a high end finish

http://www.exelwheels.co.uk/

Ps thanks for the history summary, weird it's been not far from me for many years.

Looking forward to hearing of your exploits 8-)

Last of the RHD S54s is cool :D
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

aceman wrote:Wow I am sure Jontt will be along shortly as you have one of only 3 imola red S54's in the country. :shock: :thumb:
4, they are rare enough without you getting rid of one :lol:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Oops I forgot one was discovered earlier this year if my memory is correct still rarer than hens teeth though (well almost). :D
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Renaud wrote:
You have the same gap above the rear wheels that I have. I've been considering doing a mod to reduce the gap, but perhaps the gap is correct.

Nice, shiny motor :D .
Pingu
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

very nice :D
the badness makes me do it...!

Renaud

M roadster S54

Post by Renaud »

Thanks Chaps,

Will post updates as and when I get the wheels, roof and other bits done.

Rgds

R.
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Lovely car - enjoy.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
911sc

M roadster S54

Post by 911sc »

I used Chris at Excel Wheels to refurbish my s54 wheels so he's well versed in shadow chrome. He comes to you, removes the wheels (and lends you some more if you need them!). He then takes them in his Volvo estate over to Lepsons in Kent who do the refurb under his supervision. I also needed two new front tyres and he was able to supply Michelins at a very competitive price. Came back all balanced and he refitted them!

Painless!!

Make sure you don't do what I did then - scrape the rim of one of the rears a week after they came back!!!!!
Renaud

M roadster S54

Post by Renaud »

Thanks 911sc

Thats some good advice, I'll follow up with Excel.

Rgds

R
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Here is the thread from when it was up for sale earlier this year which generated quite a lot of discussion, even the ebay link still works.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... le#p376560
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Renaud wrote:....and get the black hood fitted.
Oh dear! I was only joking! :oops:
The Classic Red roof is...erm...a classic.
You are still different from me with your all-black interior.

She's looking great Renaud.
And thanks for the history details.
Hopefully we can get the four Imolas together for a photo session next year. 8-)

Cheers!
A.
Renaud

M roadster S54

Post by Renaud »

Thanks Alfie,

As you say, we will have to get that photo session lined up next year some time.

The roof may have to stay red for a little longer. My wife could not see the point in getting the already perfect condition wheels changed to another color, or the roof changed back to black. I won the argument for the wheels, but I'm still working on being allowed to spend my pocket money on a roof.

Its going to be an interesting discussion the next time a new handbag appears, especially when they seem to cost more than the wheel refurb and a new roof put together!!!!! :head:

Rgds

R

PS: just to be clear the handbags are my wife's and nothing to do with me!!! :wink: