Engine oil sensor flashing £180!!

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
M3BMC

M roadster S50

Engine oil sensor flashing £180!!

Post by M3BMC »

When i start the ignition on my M Roadster the RED oil level light flashes 9 times then goes out. Having checked the oil level with the dipstick I thought I would replace the sensor when I have an oil change. Popped into BMW and they quoted me £180 for the part but refused to let me have the part number (Company policy, sir). I have just had a peek underneath which wasn't easy as a support brace is right in front of it. The part number is showing as 1433508. Am I right in thinking that this sensor is quite common and one with ref 12617508003 will do the same job. Hopefully someone else has had to change theirs and can shed some light.........
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: Engine oil sensor flashing £180!!

Post by bertiejaffa »

Hi, my M does this and I have a spare sensor ready to fit this winter when I do an oil change etc... Unfortunately I am not back till the weekend but can look for you then unless someone comes along beforehand.

In the meantime just ensure you check your oil level weekly
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

Looks as if the sensor is common with the S50 and the V8 5 and 7 series pre 2002 part no is 12611406609

ebay link for hella item http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E36-M3-E3 ... 56696fd759
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Mine was about £22 from Ebay last year, still not managed to fit it yet.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

M3BMC wrote: Popped into BMW and they quoted me £180 for the part but refused to let me have the part number (Company policy, sir).
What a dick! If you need any part numbers go to Realoem.com, input your vin number and you can find the part numbers for every single component ot your car (which is all the bloke at the dealer did). Once you have the part number you can also look up all the uses of that part across different models.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

BladeRunner919 wrote:
M3BMC wrote: Popped into BMW and they quoted me £180 for the part but refused to let me have the part number (Company policy, sir).
What a dick! If you need any part numbers go to Realoem.com,

A bit harsh, ....... (or are you talking about the parts man? :D )

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
M3BMC

M roadster S50

Post by M3BMC »

Thanks for all the help, especially bladerunner and brian4 for the realoem advice and part numbers.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

gookah wrote:
BladeRunner919 wrote:
What a dick! If you need any part numbers go to Realoem.com,

A bit harsh, ....... (or are you talking about the parts man? :D )

I read it that way first time, I was just about to weald my big stick :lol: :lol:
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

So.... M is getting a good service this week and I am looking to sort out the oil sensor issue... but guess what... the sensor I was given when I bought the car is 12617508003 (£20); realoem shows the oil sensor for the M to be 12611406609 (£95)...

So, although I reckon I already know the answer..... as per the original question in this thread does anyone know if they are interchangeable? Im guessing not as the M one appears to have a wire for the connector where the one I have doesn't?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I wouldn't pay anything approaching £100 for something that is so unnecessary. Disconnect it, so it doesn't flash and use the dipstick. I didn't even know the car had one until I checked RealOEM to see what the thing was bolted to the sump.
Pingu
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

pingu wrote:I wouldn't pay anything approaching £100 for something that is so unnecessary. Disconnect it, so it doesn't flash and use the dipstick. I didn't even know the car had one until I checked RealOEM to see what the thing was bolted to the sump.
admittedly I forgot about it myself too until I was getting the stuff ready for the servicing, I always check the levels regularly and never had any problem....

More costly though is the fact that it looks like my clutch has given up the ghost !
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

bertiejaffa wrote:
pingu wrote:I wouldn't pay anything approaching £100 for something that is so unnecessary. Disconnect it, so it doesn't flash and use the dipstick. I didn't even know the car had one until I checked RealOEM to see what the thing was bolted to the sump.
admittedly I forgot about it myself too until I was getting the stuff ready for the servicing, I always check the levels regularly and never had any problem....

More costly though is the fact that it looks like my clutch has given up the ghost !
You know what I'm going to say :twisted: . You know you want to :D

Pingu
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

ha ha... I had a feeling that was coming.... :twisted:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Chazzy

M roadster S50

Post by Chazzy »

Just out of interest, did the other sensor work?