M sport suspension advice wanted

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
bentley-boy

blank

M sport suspension advice wanted

Post by bentley-boy »

Hi all, Please see my main posting under Z3 heading. Basically does anyone know if there is a difference in front suspension arm and balljoints between M sport suspension and standard suspension? Thought I'd put a basic post here to attract the attention of you 'proper' zedders! :)
Regards BB
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: M sport suspension advice wanted

Post by Del »

As far as I am aware (and I'm reasonably confident) the M Sport (Mtech) suspension fitted to standard non-M cars, involves uprated shock absorbers, slightly lower (15mm?)/firmer coil springs and slightly thicker/firmer anti roll bars. The front lower control arms (aka wishbones), their two ball joints and rear bush (on each one) are identical across the Z3 range except for the Z3M.

From previous posts I've seen, there is a problem sourcing M sport shock absorbers and coil springs OUTSIDE of a BMW main dealer. Ideally you should replace the coil springs across the axle. Personally, if the BMW cost was prohibitive, I would consider changing all 4 with something like Eibach Pro Kit (30mm max lower) which can be bought for around £200.