Warning lights came on 100 yards before MOT!

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Daz

M roadster S54

Warning lights came on 100 yards before MOT!

Post by Daz »

Just took Charlotte to be MOT'd and literally 100 yards from the testing station the ABS, DSC and Low Tyre pressure lights all came on yellow - immediate fail!
Booked in for a re-test and started to drive home and they all went off! Whoopee thought me, just re-test and job done..... not so, just checked and all the flippin lights are back on again.

Anyone know what this combination of lights means? ABS sensor, module, something worse due to the Low pressure light on as well...

Will be booking in to ETA Motorsport this week but really frustrating and if anyone knows whats happening, please HELP!!!!!

Best regards,

Darren
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Warning lights came on 100 yards before MOT!

Post by Robert T »

The thing they all have in common is the wheel speed sensors. Tyre pressure warning looks for a slight difference in rotation of one wheel. You need to plug it into diagnostics to find out which wheel. Cleaning the sensor may suffice, but you need the fault code to know which one.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Daz

M roadster S54

Post by Daz »

Thanks -Sounds logical, could it have anything to do with an occasionally sticking rear brake caliper?
D
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Daz wrote:Thanks -Sounds logical, could it have anything to do with an occasionally sticking rear brake caliper?

Food for thought, my S54 suffers with occassional ABS/Traction and tyre pressure symptoms for no apparent reason.

Driving at any speed in a straight line and the ABS activates and the ABS/Traction light comes on, sometimes it clears itself and other times it will only clear when the ignition is switched off.

Maybe I have a sticky caliper which warms the brakes, slowing the rotation and triggering the fault, sometimes clearing itself when the ABS kicks in.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

That combination of lights is a DSC fault. Basically the information the Module is getting from all the wheel, steering and yaw/speed sensors does not add up. Did you feel a slight pulsing of the brakes just before the lights came on? Sadly when this happened for me it was a DSC sensor which was not cheap and that was a few years ago :(

Best bet is to get the codes read. Even if the fault is intermittent you should see what triggered the lights.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
nachos23

M roadster S52

Post by nachos23 »

if you have the correct OBDII code reader, it should identify which sensor it is. Not a standard engine OBD, but the more expensive ABS/Airbag one... Maybe someone local to you has one you can borrow to identify the bad sensor.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I assume you have actually checked the tyre pressures?
Daz

M roadster S54

Post by Daz »

Tyres are fine - it's booked in tomorrow so will let you know how it goes.
Need it sorting and re-testing pronto as I'm off to Aylesbury on Saturday to have a new Alcantara/perforated leather steering wheel fitted and pick up a new gear gaiter (can't wait).

Thanks for the guidance guys - appreciated.

Daz
Gooseacre

M roadster S50

Post by Gooseacre »

Have had similar on my S54 before. For me it was water collecting in well on left of boot below rear lights. One of the sensors is down there. By waterlogged I mean 4 inches deep. Mopped it up and dried it out. Got the errors set and bingo no problems since. Haven't even checked out where the water was coming in as I preiodically check and mop up any water collecting.
2001 Z3M S54 LB64010 #10/73
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

Daz wrote:Just took Charlotte to be MOT'd and literally 100 yards from the testing station the ABS, DSC and Low Tyre pressure lights all came on yellow - immediate fail!

Can you find a closer test station? .... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..