Boot floor - Check

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
alanandjudi

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Boot floor - Check

Post by alanandjudi »

Hi Guys,
Not sure if anyone can help with this but here goes: I have seen an M roadster that Im considering buying, trouble is its over in ireland
and from the many photos and details Ive had sent through, it looks like it has had a boot weld repair. Where the rivets are its all been
overlaid with some sort of bonded black membrane. Owner has only had the car for 2 years so doesnt know about this, I belive that the heat
shields from the exhaust probably obstruct viewing from underneath. Is there any other way to check what has been done is robust enough.
Any help much appreciate, many thanks Alan
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: Boot floor - Check

Post by bertiejaffa »

Im not sure how you check the strength of the repair, it is however good that the work has been done in the first place as it is a fault that will occur if not welded. Sometimes if you ask your local BMW dealership they can search other locations/dealerships to see what was done when. I have this for my M - was done by the previous owner who wanted a full set of work repairs/services etc...
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Hi Alan,

If the previous owner does not know of the issue then its going to be hard to make a judgement call with photos etc. Only real way of checking is a Inspecting yourself (a wee trip to Ireland) or paying for an independent inspection.

Good Luck
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

There shouldn't be any rivets! Can you share the photos with us?
alanandjudi

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by alanandjudi »

My mistake, referred to them as rivets and not spot welds, cant see anything from above as all masked by the black bonded membrane, if link works car can be seen on you tube video. Alan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPqCSJ-JG9s[youtube=][/youtube]
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

The only evidence you can see from INSIDE the boot is popped spot welds.

This is what you can see with the tooltray and the carpet removed...

Image[/quote]

From underneath, you can see this...

Obviously, it is more difficult to see with the diff in place, but it can be done.
Pingu
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Given that Z3M prices appear to be accelerating upwards and if the car is otherwise good, is this sort of thing really a "deal breaker"? Personally, I would factor it into my offer for the car.
chill4x4saph

M roadster S54

Post by chill4x4saph »

Del wrote:Given that Z3M prices appear to be accelerating upwards and if the car is otherwise good, is this sort of thing really a "deal breaker"? Personally, I would factor it into my offer for the car.
I concur!!
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

chill4x4saph wrote:
Del wrote:Given that Z3M prices appear to be accelerating upwards and if the car is otherwise good, is this sort of thing really a "deal breaker"? Personally, I would factor it into my offer for the car.
I concur!!
Especially if you DIY :wink: . <£10 of mig wire and gas :D .
Pingu
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

2 here - £300 and £130....

Buy the car, book it in and we will see you on the Yorkshire meet :D

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... ld#p384418

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... ld#p353244
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

A worn soft top, clutch or bit of bodywork is therefore a bigger cost/problem? :)
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Del wrote:A worn soft top, clutch or bit of bodywork is therefore a bigger cost/problem? :)
looks that way... soft-tops range from £350 (see G*JKA thread) - £600+ (See TitanTim thread); new clutch... well I maybe on the edge of letting you know :bawl: (although pingu has just fitted his own version :wink: ). As for bodywork I see people quoting around £200-£300 for various parts, and a full respray will cost around £1800.... after that you can go the way of Swamper and have it totally detailed until it is showroom finished (but I couldn't do that... too gormless with curbs and stone chips etc)....

So looking forward to seeing it sat on the ferry... plus, Dublin is nice this time of year :D
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
alanandjudi

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by alanandjudi »

Quick update. Was going to have the floor checked, but after running the reg through car checker, it has come back as a CAT D, and 10 owners. Current owner said
he knew nothing of it being a cat D and he has checked the log book and says there is nothing on there, is there anyway of finding out what the damage was back in 2001. I know these cars are often owned for a couple of years and then moved on but 10 seems a lot. Obviously price will be affected by this, not sure if Im still interested at the moment, but would be good to have an idea of what folk think it might be worth, 2000, Wreg, 72K with service history, CAT D
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

For it to be designated Cat D only a year after (2001) it came off the production line (2000) with a value of £40,000 +, the damage must have been considerable/extensive and somewhat borderline in terms of being rescued. As a result it may cost more to insure now and its market value will always be impaired. Coupled to this the seller seems to "know nothing" about anything. Personally, it would put me right off :(
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Del wrote:For it to be designated Cat D only a year after (2001) it came off the production line (2000) with a value of £40,000 +, the damage must have been considerable/extensive and somewhat borderline in terms of being rescued. As a result it may cost more to insure now and its market value will always be impaired. Coupled to this the seller seems to "know nothing" about anything. Personally, it would put me right off :(
Agreed. If it were Cat D'd in 2011, I'd think about buying it, but if it was Cat D'd in 2001, WALK AWAY
Pingu
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Is it silver with a private plate on it by any chance?
chill4x4saph

M roadster S54

Post by chill4x4saph »

pingu wrote:
Del wrote:For it to be designated Cat D only a year after (2001) it came off the production line (2000) with a value of £40,000 +, the damage must have been considerable/extensive and somewhat borderline in terms of being rescued. As a result it may cost more to insure now and its market value will always be impaired. Coupled to this the seller seems to "know nothing" about anything. Personally, it would put me right off :(
Agreed. If it were Cat D'd in 2011, I'd think about buying it, but if it was Cat D'd in 2001, WALK AWAY
again, I concur with the above!!!!!
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Damage to >60% of the value at 1 year old would IMO have been far more severe than Cat D. I think that there is a good chance it was stolen not-recovered; i.e.the insurers paid out before it was recovered and it was therefore recorded as Cat D. I did go to look at one in Lincoln a few years ago and that was a Cat D for stolen not-recovered.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
alanandjudi

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by alanandjudi »

Yep was thinking only way forward for me is if it was stolen and recovered. Not silver its Estoril blue, it has had a private
plate on but think its back on original now. Any ideas on value if it was stolen recovered, cat D.
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

alanandjudi wrote:Yep was thinking only way forward for me is if it was stolen and recovered. Not silver its Estoril blue, it has had a private
plate on but think its back on original now. Any ideas on value if it was stolen recovered, cat D.
Cat D is usually 75% of normal price or less. If you pay more, don't expect the next buyer to want it as much as you, so you will be stung when you sell.
Pingu
peter2b

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by peter2b »

i got a cat C Y reg Z3 2.2 face lift for £ 800 last november front damage just got her a new mot and booked for a vic check
peter2b
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

If its this ad - http://cars.donedeal.co.uk/cars-for-sal ... 5?offset=1

I see seller hasn't updated text to say it's CAT D. I wouldn't buy it. If you want one of these cars you are doing yourself a favour by waiting for the right one to come along. I waited over two years for Hamish to come along as Imola ones are rarer to find.
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)