Front bumper

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Grazza

M roadster S50

Front bumper

Post by Grazza »

Need to get a new front bumper for my Z3M. I'm aware that the M is different in that it has air ducts in place of front fog lights but is the bumper effectively the same as all the others? Trying to keep costs down via eBay!

Thanks
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Re: Front bumper

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

Hi

I've got this one at the moment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161716386456? ... 1555.l2649

Happy to consider a sensible offer

Cheers
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Grazza wrote:Need to get a new front bumper for my Z3M. I'm aware that the M is different in that it has air ducts in place of front fog lights but is the bumper effectively the same as all the others? Trying to keep costs down via eBay!

Thanks
All front bumpers fit all models, but they are not all the same, if that's what you are asking.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The M bumper has 2 "canard extensions" at the bottom below where the fogs go on the non M bumper. So, somewhat different in style but not in size or fitment.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Grazza

M roadster S50

Post by Grazza »

That helps thanks. Spurs fan I will send you a pm.
Clivebse

M roadster S50

Post by Clivebse »

I have also got a complete Titan silver wide mouth bumper. Offers?
Grazza

M roadster S50

Post by Grazza »

Have resigned myself to the fact that I am probably going to have to get a new bumper from BMW. Apparently I also need a bumper grill, does anyone know if this is specific to the M and if not does anyone have one for sale?

Thanks
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

The grille is M specific (different shaped holes in the bumper compared to others) but if you are on a budget I wouldn't worry about that cost given the long list of other parts you need.
You can make your own grilles easily enough and with some patience make ones much better than the plastic that BWM fitted in there (and overcharge for most likely!).
Check out this thread, should help:
http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =9&t=40965
Grazza

M roadster S50

Post by Grazza »

Thanks, helpful to know. I'm keen to return it to standard as far as possible, just trying to understand where I can save a bit of money by soucing second hand.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I think it's a mistake to use a non M bumper just because it might be cheaper.

The M design is there to help with stability at speed and the brake cooling ducts are functional.

When you sell the car it will devalue it.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Grazza

M roadster S50

Post by Grazza »

Totally agree it's not worthwhile putting a non M bumper on. Had originally been thinking that I could keep costs down by sourcing second hand but with M specific parts this does not seem to be an option. Have decide to just bite the bullet and spend what I need to in order to get the car back on the road.

Thanks to all who have helped on my learning curve!