Repair advice

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Grazza

M roadster S50

Repair advice

Post by Grazza »

My M has been sat forlornly on the drive for the last few months and I have finally accepted that I just do not have the time to try and fix it myself at the moment and I am missing too too much to leave it there any longer!

So I have found a local mechanic to fix it for me but he's never worked on one before and, given I would rather not just go to BMW for parts unless I have to, he is looking to me for guidance on what parts I want to use. He has given me a list of the things that he says need replacing and I would like some advice on whether these are M specific and whether it is worth my while trying to source these on eBay etc. or just bite the bullet and buy from new. Items required listed below

Track rod end x2

n/s/f anti roll bar mounting

Anti roll bar links x 2

n/s/f bumper lamp

n/s/f inner plastic arch

n/s/f bumper iron

Front bumper reinforcement bar

n/s/f headlamp - The clear indicator lens from the original is still intact so can I buy a yellow lens version and swap the indicator lens?

Plastic housing behind n/s headlamp

Bumper grille

n/s/f brake air duct

Also need suspension strut but will do a separate post on that.

All advice gratefully received!
zederbee

M roadster S50

Re: Repair advice

Post by zederbee »

I have had no problem getting new suspension components for my M Roadster through Euro Car Parts. Most parts are the same (or better) as OEM.

I think that for car specific stuff (headlight lenses, trim bits etc.) the eBay or a dismantler are probably your best source but sometimes the BMW dealer network can throw up some surprises. I needed some crankcase ventilation parts for my E65 7 Series and they were cheaper through BMW than on eBay!
1999 black M Roadster, AC Schnitzer hoops & Type III wheels.
therealdb1

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Repair advice

Post by therealdb1 »

Yes Zederbee is correct. Don't dismiss a Stealer without asking the question sometimes their prices are almost realistic!
I bought the rubber hoses from the MAF to throttle body and genuine BMW items from a franchised dealer were 2/3 of the price of some dubious replicas from the Far East on eBay. The parts were even in stock so I had them the same day without waiting for Postman Pat to fetch them for me.