BC Racing Coilovers

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Grazza

M roadster S50

BC Racing Coilovers

Post by Grazza »

These appear to have had positive reviews from a number of posters so I ordered a set which duly arrived.

The set I received just say Z3 and I am aware that some websites offer two options, one Z3 with camber adjustment and one Z3M with castor as well as camber adjustment.

Mine have also been sent with 6Kg springs front and rear and I am told that 6Kg springs on the year may not be up to the job and may bottom out on very rough roads.

I'm going to be doing mainly road driving with the occasional track day - my question, to those in the know, is have I got the wrong bl**dy ones and how much of a problem is it going to be?!
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: BC Racing Coilovers

Post by Brian H »

Don't worry too much, I personally found the 6kg at the rear was just too soft for me so I fitted the 8kg spring, this helped me a lot. Try out what you have just now it may suit you, your style of driving. The 8kg springs can be bought separately for very little money so can always be added if needed.

I ended up fitting the 8kg springs without the spring adjuster, and just used the supplied mounts for this application.
Joycey

M roadster S52

Post by Joycey »

I believe when we fitted Dino's 6kg rear shocks they kept bottoming out on rough roads. Hopefully he will be along to confirm. On smooth roads they were fine.

Lee
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

Yep 6kg is only ideal if you have smooth roads around where you are (highly unlikely in UK!).
Mine does bottom out on the rough stuff around town but on the types of open roads I drive on it generally is fine but I'll be changing to 8kg soon just as it is the only negative of the whole set up for me. On the 6kg I run the damper around 15 clicks from soft but on 8kg I believe Brian can run the dampers on full soft so should be more comfortable and plenty of scope for firming up as desired.
As Brian says see how you get on, the rear springs are really easy to change over and are around £30.00 each to buy.

I'm quite disappointed that BC even offer this 6kg without any advisory in the UK as it's clearly not ideal here. I went 6kg as the FK Silverlines I had previously felt 'brittle' on the rear and not confident in the wet.
The BC's are massive improvement. Really night and day for me. Very happy.
Ahould point out that the rear beam bushes were changed to Poweflex at the same time and that also made a huge difference.

In the US it seems the softest people tend to run are 6kg front and 8kg back with many going for much harder (10 or more kg!)

Do you have the M versions? You will need the castor adjustable top mounts I believe.
Grazza

M roadster S50

Post by Grazza »

Thanks to all for your advice.

I bought them from Corby Motorsport and the guy assures me they are the camber and caster adjustable M version and they certainly look to be adjustable in two planes so hopefully are correct.

I agree it's pretty disappointing they are selling the 6kg if not really suitable for UK, but pleased to hear the positive reviews of the coilovers in use.

Also looking to do a Powerflex bush upgrade but have chased the same supplier a couple of times for prices without success - any suggestions on a good place to buy them?

Once again thanks for your help.
Dino D

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Dino D »

If it has two planes if adjustability then it must be castor plus camber (mine only has one plane, non M).

I also bought from Corby Motorsport and he does a better price than BC direct and he threw in the damper adjuster extenders for the rear for free. Helpful chap there but he admits to knowing Jap cars well and not BM's.
He spoke with BC about the 6kg and they weren't very helpful really, just said they've never heard of an issue with it...
That was somewhat unexpected reply from a company who I believe have developed set ups with customer cars here in UK (I believe they did this for the Renault Megane 225).
That said I think between me and Brian (I don't know any other Z3 owner with BC's) we have worked out that 6kg front and 8kg rear is about as soft as you want to go for road / track use and moderate lowering. For me the adjustable dampers are great for tweaking and I notice even 2 clicks either way across the same road (it has 32 clicks from full soft to full hard).
I think the US guys go for very hard springs as they want to go very low? Maybe one thing to keep in mind of you looking for very low ride height.

Re the Powerflex I got some from Deamon Tweaks (around £70 I recall). The Poweflex purple ones.
I believe Euro car parts sell them too so worth shopping around. I believe it's the same bush and part number across all 6cyl models (possibly even for 4cyl).
Can't recommend doing this enough! Totally planted and predictable rear end now.