Exhust manifold fixed

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Roadsterdude

M roadster S50

Exhust manifold fixed

Post by Roadsterdude »

Hello all

There seems to be a few M-roadsters that suffer from a broken flexjoint on the exhaust manifold. I thought it was a difficult thing to fix but it really isn't that difficult.
One needs to take off the AC hoses in order to get both manifolds out, for me it was no problem as the ac system seems to have a leak already. Need to try to locate that and fix it also before the season starts. Probably 30-50 euro to have the system overhauled.
Detatch the lambda sensors and bits that are in the way. Spray the cuppernuts with penetrating oil and continue the next day. The manifolds come out from the underside. Bought the flexjoint on E-bay and was very happy with it and the service on Ebay UK.

I made a jig of an old wooden shelve and 2 pieces of wood that was around in the garage.
I then cut out the old piece that someone already had tried to fix without removing it from the car and fitted the new flex joint. It took some minor grinding on the inside of the new joint but the fit was snug and neat. Welding was first with mig stainless cord and argon, then the result was smoothened out with the tig welder. Turned out ok for a garage DIY. I will replace coppernuts and exhaustmanifold gaskets.

Hmm lost the 2 pics somwhere.. :rtm: