Z3M S54 - AVANOS1-late valve code

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Chronopete

M roadster S54

Z3M S54 - AVANOS1-late valve code

Post by Chronopete »

Hello all,

As of few days ago, I'm a proud owner of a Black 2001 Z3M with the S54 engine. 51k miles. Yesterday I plugged in the BT cable and unfortunately an issue was found - "AVANOS1-late valve". I also sound a ticking sound when the car is idle. Can anyone chime in on this issue? Do I just need to adjust the valves? The motor runs strong, but it doesn't feel as fast as it should be - although I am a little biased because I also own a 400awhp 335xi.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!
siwilson

M roadster S54

Re: Z3M S54 - AVANOS1-late valve code

Post by siwilson »

Welcome Chronopete :)

The S54s do 'tick' a bit (mine does) and it is especially noticeable when alongside a wall. IMO the ///Ms don't actually feel that fast unless you bury the throttle, get the revs up and the VANOS kicks in. If the error you are seeing is a VANOS issue then you certainty wouldn't get the expected boost.

What is the service record like and do you have any record of valve shim adjustment? Its usually done at Inspection II.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

The first thing to do is always clear the codes and then see what comes back - there's no point chasing a problem code that was rectified but never cleared.
Chronopete

M roadster S54

Post by Chronopete »

BladeRunner919 wrote:The first thing to do is always clear the codes and then see what comes back - there's no point chasing a problem code that was rectified but never cleared.
Thanks for this suggestion! I didn't think about clearing the code. I just did that and the problem went away :) I drove the car for 10 minutes and the code never came back.
Chronopete

M roadster S54

Post by Chronopete »

siwilson wrote:Welcome Chronopete :)

The S54s do 'tick' a bit (mine does) and it is especially noticeable when alongside a wall. IMO the ///Ms don't actually feel that fast unless you bury the throttle, get the revs up and the VANOS kicks in. If the error you are seeing is a VANOS issue then you certainty wouldn't get the expected boost.

What is the service record like and do you have any record of valve shim adjustment? Its usually done at Inspection II.
The ticking is not bad, so I assume it's normal. Next time I'm nearby a shop, I will ask for their opinion. Thanks.