3.0 Z3 (2002) as a Donor car (shocking I hear you say !!)

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Law'

Z3 roadster 3.0i

3.0 Z3 (2002) as a Donor car (shocking I hear you say !!)

Post by Law' »

Hello, new member alert !!!!!!!!

I've bought a 2002 Z3 3 Litre to use as the base/donor for my 2Fifty kit car.

Here's my challenge, if I use the standard 3.0 rear axle set up then I can't fit the right rear classic wire wheels to get my kit car to look right. Rumour has it that I could source the half shafts & trailing arms from a pre Facelift 1.9 Z3 (pre 2000 me thinks?), this should give me an extra 35mm each side to play with in terms of rim offset.

My concern is that the 1.9 half shafts (drive shafts) splines / diameter marry up with the 3.0 Z3 Diff ???

All help advise is welcomed & appreciated - Thx
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: 3.0 Z3 (2002) as a Donor car (shocking I hear you say !!

Post by mrscalex »

If I was building a kit car based on a Z3 I think I would want the best model which wasn't an M.

Plus if there weren't people like yourself those of us who restore wouldn't have access to such nice panel sets from the initial strip down.

What colour is it by the way and will you be selling the panel set?

I'm breaking a pre-facelift 1.9 currently. I won't have time to take the half-shafts/trailing arms off myself but if you want to come down and do it yourself you can take them on sale or return depending on whether they fit. We might even be able to do a swap depending on the position with your panels.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Law'

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Law' »

Thx for the reply mrscalex.

My 3.0 is a metallic black finish and yes your right I won't be needing the bonnet, bumpers / beams, boot or any of the lights.

What in your opinion is the best Z3 then ?
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

No I meant I would want the best model and agree that's a 3.0 too.

However I'm an as it left the factory freak so doing a kit car wouldn't be my thing.

I bought a complete panel set for my project off the guy who does the Ferrari 250 conversions in Reading. Great source of panels because someone spending £10k+ on a kit car build wants a nice car to start with.

I'm afraid black panels aren't (currently) any use to me (Titan Silver or Topaz Blue would be). But let me know if I can help the 1.9 parts.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The diff on the 1.9 is different to the diff on the 3.0. But the rear drive shafts do not enter into the diff.... the diff has an output flange left and right, to which the rear drive shafts are bolted... so if the 1.9 drive shafts match up to the 3.0 diff flanges you can just go ahead, alternately, have the 1.9 shaft flanges drilled with 4 new holes to match the 3.0 diff output flange. The new holes can be positioned between the OEM 1.9 holes.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Law'

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Law' »

Thank you, you have confirmed my thoughts regarding the Z3 3.0 diff marrying up to the 1.9 drive shafts - I'm hoping that I can simply unbolt the 3.0 mounting plates/flanges off the diff' and switch it out fitting the 1.9 donor ones, then fit the 1.9 drive shafts onto my car's 3.0 std fit Diff.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

It would be simpler to first check the hole match of the 1.9 shaft flange with the 3.0 diff flange... it'll be easier to have new holes drilled. The 1.9 diff flanges won't fit into the 3.0 diff - it's a completely different diff. The 1.9 diff is much smaller than the 3.0 diff as a complete lump. Also, the 3.0 diff is an LSD diff, whereas the 1.9 may not be.
"Normal is overrated"

Law'

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Law' »

Here's where my head is at the mo' regarding this:

As they're cheap my plan is to buy a 'spares or repairs' 1.9 Z3 and get it home next to my 3.0, from here I can see what will bolt on and what will/may need modifying.

From what everyone's said it's a possible conversion but the 1.9 half shafts may struggle under load from the 3.0 lump, and that the 3.0 Diff mounting flanges are going to be different to the 1.9 drive shaft mounting flange plate?

What do you think of my plan, mad or sane ? :?:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

It's your project, and you should do it the way you want to... No doubt you'll have some spares from both vehicles which can be used to offset some costs... Just enjoy yourself and don't hassle about anyone's approval or lack there-of.. :wave
"Normal is overrated"

spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

Where you based mate? There's a few people who specifically break Z3s and may be able to help you out.
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

Hi Law
Welcome to the forum, just had a quick google , looks like a nice kit, reminds me of an MG from the rear? Looking at the car on youtube as well as the bonnet it looks like you won't need the original small wing panels that the side indicators are located? If you are looking to sell would be very interested if they are in good shape , also looking for a good pair of outer lower sills (left/right) again if your looking to offload the surplus panels .
handsomejackuk

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by handsomejackuk »

i would be interested in the facelift front headlights too if they become available please pm me

thanks Al...
Law'

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Law' »

To all that have expressed an interest. I will be selling (listing on here & eBay) all the parts I don't need for the build - Bonnet, bumpers, beams, sills, boot, lights, chrome side grills etc etc
roger_thelwell

blank

Post by roger_thelwell »

Did you manage to find a simple'ish solution to your wire wheel problem, as I am looking for a set for my 1999 facelift 2.8.

I guess by the sounds of it your not looking for bolt-ons, of which I can't seem to find either (unless you want them in 17" * 8", which would be just too big).

Thanks,
Roger
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I'd be very surprised if the driveshafts would be too weak to handle the torque.

If you use a 1.9 diff, that could be too weak, but finding out is part of the fun :D .

These torques are engine torques, you will have to calculate worst case scenarios using g/box and diff ratios...
1.9 torque = 180Nm
3.0 torque = 300Nm

[edit]
:shock: It look a bit more complicated. I would check RealOEM. A quick look showed this. If I were you, I would use specific chassis number to do the check, and not generic details as I did...
1.9 LK=80mm Dia=26mm
3.0 LK=110mm Dia=38mm
M LK=94mm Dia=27mm
Pingu
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Just noticed a guy has posted several pics on the Z3 owners page on facbook
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage