Z3M Brakes

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
drummachine

M roadster S50

Z3M Brakes

Post by drummachine »

Hi guys.

After a bit of advise from others experience. I had the dreaded vibration and squeak from the front brakes at the start of the year. Turned out it was the spacers and its been fine ever since.

However, the nsf now squeeks constantly and the brake judder is horrendous to the point where i'm not driving it. A shame in this weather.

I'm going to replace both front calipers, pads and discs and hoses. Its done 60k but i've had her 10 years almost and only ever had front pads replaced from memory.

Any advice on what to fit and where to get them from. Searching the google world there are so many options and the prices vary massively. I guess you get what you pay for.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Z3M Brakes

Post by BladeRunner919 »

You could get your calipers refurbished by these guys, rather than go for replacements: http://www.biggred.co.uk/
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Good plan to replace the hoses at the same time as overhauling the brakes as the hoses can break down inside and cause flow restriction and similar symptoms to s sticking calliper. Complete callipers can be obtained from big companies like GSF and Euro Car parts – they will be original BMW/ATE “refurbished” items and they usually want to exchange your originals. I have had problems with a “refurbished/reconditioned” calliper and alternator from GSF and so they are not immune from problems.
If you are handy with car DIY I would recommend refurbishing them yourself which is much cheaper. The brake calliper pistons on these cars seem good quality and I have not personally experienced any rust on them and have therefore, got away with just replacing the rubber parts i.e. seal ring, dust cover and the little slider pin bellows. There is a knack to reassembly (which requires lubricant supplied in the kit) but there are plenty of “how to” videos on Youtube for BMWs. Garages will not want to muck about with refurbishing kits preferring instead to simply bolt on complete, refurbished items.
I’ve used the firm on the attached link and been happy – I didn’t find the Big Red internet site that user friendly the last time I used them and they seemed more expensive.
https://brakeparts.co.uk/
drummachine

M roadster S50

Post by drummachine »

Thank you guys. Some real good stuff - i just want to get driving it again!
Joycey

M roadster S52

Post by Joycey »

I had the same issue a few years ago on my M (sticking calliper causing the juddering) and as you might know M tax on some parts is pricey, specially the callipers on the M, they have an M branded into them. A lot of company's say they can give you replacements which don't have the logo. They will do the job fine but you loose some of its heritage.

Like del was saying, I bought a calliper refurb kit and done both front callipers, New seals, pistons and lugs cost me around £80.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I use EBC Yellow stuff pads, not too dusty and stops well.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
drummachine

M roadster S50

Post by drummachine »

Calipers have been successfully removed and sent away for repair.

Brake discs and yellow stuff pads on order. I forgot the hoses were replaced last year so will keep those for the moment.

Just the wait for them to come back now....