bright lights

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Boysie

M roadster S50

bright lights

Post by Boysie »

Hi
i have been told that i cannot change my headlights to these new fancy brighter lights, as they are factory fittted. the name has slipped my memory.
They advertise bright bulbs on ebay and other outlets, has any member changed his lights to these brighter bulbs ?
kelart

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kelart »

you mean xenon? they sell "xenon" bulb on ebay, but the real xenon upgrade kit is quite pricey. i'm not sure if those "xenon" bulbs from ebay give you anything more than a dim blue boyracy tint. or perhaps the new generation of those bulbs really works? anyone? :?:
kris
JUNGLE
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by JUNGLE »

I upgraded mine to Philips Blue Vision, and Osram cool Blue, and noticed an improvement in night vision, as well as the asthetic improvement of a whiter / blue light rather than a yellow duller shade.

Takes about 10 mins to change the light bulbs

Regds JUNGLE
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Many thanks for your help
i noticed on the web site, they also do a Philips 9006 premium bulb is this just a standard upgrade
John Boy
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John Boy »

It's been said before, but the bulbs from Hoen are excellent. After being parked next to a Zed with these bulbs fitted and comparing the light emitted, I can honestly say the Hoen bulbs were fantastic.
John Boy
2.8 Z3
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

John boy
Did you end up getting the Hoen Titanium bulb for your car,
After reading what you said i checked the web site about them they are more powerful than the Philip's bulbs 4300 kelvin to 4000 kelvin (makes me sound very technical) and a lot more expensive than the Philip's bulb.
Are they only available in the USA via the web.
Before i purchase them i will wait and see if anybody else has any comments as the results are getting better all the time i get a response
These forums do work

Ray
John Boy
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John Boy »

I haven’t changed my bulbs as yet, but I intend to do so before next winter when I start using the Head-Lights more.
If you do a search on the forum for Hoen, you will find DavidM was very enthusiastic about them. It was his car I compared my lights to, and the difference was astounding to say the least.
I don’t know if Hoen retail outside of the USA, but the Hoen bulbs, as the only ones I have seen a direct comparison for, will certainly be a consideration when I change mine.
John Boy
2.8 Z3
dendeman

M coupe S50

Post by dendeman »

I've had 4 different bulbs in mine and the Hoen are definitelly the best. They give a very strong and white light (not blue tinted, which lower the lumen count).

I bought mine about 9 months ago and at the time Hoen were trying to set up a distributor in Edinburgh. Give them a buzz, might be able to save a few quid on the shipping.

http://www.PowerManiac.com
ChrisXL

M roadster S50

Post by ChrisXL »

In the Netherlands we had a group buy of xenon sets where you have the choice between the 6000K (white) and 8000K (blue) lights.

If you have the "older" model with the HB4 lights, it can be fitted in 15 minutes. For the H7 lights you'll need an adaptor, which can be bought for a lot less from Opel (Vauxhal) instead from BMW.
Member of Team Lauterbrunnen
http://www.fnbc.nl/
ChrisXL

M roadster S50

Post by ChrisXL »

Pics of xenon headlights

Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Any slight safety advantage from increased visibility on main beam is more than lost, becuase even when dipped they are more blinding to oncoming drivers.
They ought to be banned.
ChrisXL

M roadster S50

Post by ChrisXL »

That is rubbish if fitted correctly that is not an issue.
I can imagine the same discussion when the headlights changed from traditional glow lamps to halogen lamps.

That is a hot item here in the Netherlands at the moment.

It will be mandatory to have a headlight washer unit and self leveling headlight units. As a matter of fact I know the Dutch equivalent of the MOT (APK) is a lot more strict than in the UK. So these new rules will have to be followed to the letter.

Come to think of it, the German TUV, even more strict doesn't disapprove them.
Last edited by ChrisXL on Wed 03 Aug, 2005 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Chris I hope you're correct, only I've not been impressed so far with any anti glare measures here so far. This is bound to be the case while people retro fit them to cars without self levelling headlamps.
exdos

M coupe S54

Post by exdos »

ChrisXL wrote: I can imagine the same discussion when the headlights changed from traditional glow lamps to halogen lamps.
It caused more trouble when the fitting of car headlamps put the guys who used to run in front of cars waving flags out of work :lol: :lol: :lol:
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

:lol:

Xenon Bulbs

Post by Guest »

There are many 'Xenon' type bulbs availbale, but remember price does not guarantee quality! the best in repeated Auto Express tests are always Philips, their latest being BlueVision, which I have in the Zed - they changed very good lights to unbelievably good!

Since going to France I had to buy new RH dipping lights, these later ones having H7 outer bulbs, as distinct from the original HB6. Blue Vision are available in both types.

HID Lamps

Post by Guest »

I think Ray was referring to High Intensity Discharge lamps, which are a different thing from xenon lights - this simply refers to the type of halogen gas used in the bulb, xenon being the current favourite.

I can sympathise with Robin, for all too many HID lights do indeed promote dazzle, in spite of their mandatory self-levelling systems. The tragedy is that the drivers seem unable to decide what to do with the (also mandatory) headlight height adjuster control on the dash, while most of them imagine that they must travel close enough to the car in front for their headlights to illuminate the inside of its driver's eyeballs!

I find that the Zed's mesh wind deflector reduces night-time glare considerably, and it can also be very useful for dropping a hint, by having the passenger hang a coat over it, so totally stopping the glare, and - sometimes - making the clot behind wonder why it has been done!

There's probably a law against it, but a reflective sheet would make an even better job of it, by returning the light to those who produce it.

I've added another article to the Knowledgebase, detailing the halogen bulb tests by AutoExpress - the most expensive was not the best, by a large margin.
Phooto

BMW convertible

Re: HID Lamps

Post by Phooto »

Mike Fishwick wrote:The tragedy is that the drivers seem unable to decide what to do with the (also mandatory) headlight height adjuster control on the dash
What adjuster control? - there is no such thing with the BMW Xenon option - which must mean it is not mandatory?
Simon Taylor
phooto

Oops!

Post by Guest »

Sorry - was referring to drivers in general with that bit!
Robin

M roadster S50

Re: HID Lamps

Post by Robin »

Mike Fishwick wrote:I can sympathise with Robin, for all too many HID lights do indeed promote dazzle, in spite of their mandatory self-levelling systems. The tragedy is that the drivers seem unable to decide what to do with the (also mandatory) headlight height adjuster control on the dash, while most of them imagine that they must travel close enough to the car in front for their headlights to illuminate the inside of its driver's eyeballs! I find that the Zed's mesh wind deflector reduces night-time glare considerably, and it can also be very useful for dropping a hint, by having the passenger hang a coat over it, so totally stopping the glare, and - sometimes - making the clot behind wonder why it has been done!
Only problem Mike is that only solves glare from the rear but not from oncoming vehicles. Lately I've noticed when HID or xenon equiped vehicles cross undulating road surfaces or hit a slight bump the headlights obviously momentarily point upwards so are insufficienly dipped & so cause glare. Not such a problem with halogen but I think rather bright with HID's.
IMHO halogens are bright enough on the darkest of roads.
The minor advantage of HID's & xenons doesn't warrant the downside to other drivers in terms of glare so they're best kept for rally cars.

Glare and Dazzle

Post by Guest »

As Robin says, glare from oncoming cars is now a real problem in the UK, with its ever-increasing traffic density and dreadful standard of headlight alignment.

I find that new-ish cars are major offenders, probably due to their 'advanced' lights with clear lenses. Our VW Golf had the worst lights in 30 years, and emitted a shaft of vertical light fromo each dip unit.

Just to show my age, I also think that the use of hand dipswitches is another retrograde step, as lots of drivers cannot anticipate that they will need to dip ina couple of seconds, then fumble around to find the stalk.

In most 'dip' situations the left foot is doing nothing - and all the time in automatic transmission cars - so it may as well be used to work a dip switch. I suppose combining the dip switch with the trafficator stalk saved a few pence on each car, so manufacturers adopted it, and it has now become standard, just like self-cancelling trafficators, which are another sop to the lazy driver.

As I mentioned, use of the headlight levelling knob is quite beyond the average UK driver, while the self-levelling on HID lights never seems to operate quickly enough. The fact that such a system is mandatory seems to point to these lights being a larger potential source of dazzle than normal filament lights. As these cars become older the problem will inevitabley increase - I'm glad I live in France, where traffic density is a lot lower!