zm battery

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
321bhp

Not specified

zm battery

Post by 321bhp »

hi,i brought a brand new correct m battery from bmw 14 months ago,now its dead,had the aa out gave the car a boost,so i could take out for a spin,did about 20 miles,next day,dead again,ive put it on charge although the charger says charged and maintaining,the little green light on the top of the battery has not appered,just stays black,as in needs charging,do you think the batterys knackerd,concidering the cars only done 1,256 miles since i fitted it seems a bloody con, :( :( :( :( :( oh,aa checked the altonator was pushing the correct amps,and it was ?? :( :( :(
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Do you get a fizzing sound from the battery you can hear after you switch off the engine ?
If so the alternator current regulation might have gone awol & has cooked your battery with too much current. Are you able to check the electrolyte level or is it sealed ?
Batteries normally last about 5 years. If your alternator & charging regulator is are OK I would think it must be the battery surely.

Post by Guest »

If the battery was flat enough to prevent the starter engaging then a 20 mile run probably won't bring it back to a fully charged state. Probably take an overnoght charge on the bech to do that.

Having said that, the fact that your charger says charged, when its clearly not, is a problem. Was this charging on the car or disconnected and on the bench ?

Even though its only 14 months old it still sounds like a duff battery. :(
tags
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by tags »

1256 miles...in 14 months :shock: :shock: :shock:

:lol: I'll take it out and give it a good blast for ya!! :P

Tags
321bhp

Not specified

hi

Post by 321bhp »

thanks for answers,no i took the battery out to charge,cant hear any fizzing,gonna take up to bmw,once started and say ,come on,this battery should last better than that,hopefully get a replacement or a discount,and its a sealed battery
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Terry...I had my battery replaced a year or so ago by AA HomeStart (correct battery with recess slot for the boot breather tube to plug into it) that came with a 3 year warranty so I would of thought the BMW one would have more that 1 year warranty
Bloke

Other roadster

Post by Bloke »

All BMW parts come with a 2 yr warranty

SO you should be covered, and if you have a the extended warranty, , they change the battery free...

Bloke
mangetout

M roadster S50

Post by mangetout »

Batteries need exercise to stay fit! 90 miles a month is a killer for them. So often, newly purchased secondhand and new cars have duff batteries -months of disuse on the forecourt. Sounds like yours is just as can be expected but hopefully BMW will play ball; just don't let on how idle it's been.

If you're continuing like that it's worth investing in a battery trickle charger/conditioner. I have one one my Old Git car whilst it's in bits/under restoration (year 3 now) and the (6volt) battery is still in top shape, instant start every time.

Best of luck whatever.
Mangetout. Driving the sublime and the ridiculous
321bhp

Not specified

hi

Post by 321bhp »

great will phone bmw regarding the warranty on the battery,and good idea on the trickle charger,guess ive got an unfit battery due to my low milage i do ,im now calling the battery :D slob :D
321bhp

Not specified

hi

Post by 321bhp »

phoned bmw,the battery has a 2 year warranty,so the car is booked in tomorrow,for a test on the battery ,alternator etc,they said they will replace the battery if found to be no good,but they will charge me for the test if found to be another problem,lets hope its the battery

Battery Life

Post by Guest »

There is no 'Current Regulator' - the charginf current depends on the battery's state of charge and the system voltage. If the voltage regulator had failed, all the blubs would have blow.

Do you do much milage? Most MR owners only manage about 3/4k per year (pathetic, really) and leave the battery to stagnate and so sulphate the plates, reducing capacity. The alarm system and ICE equipment, and Service Interval board's batteries all take a small but continuous current. Even the alternator diodes pass about 20 mA or so, and this goes on ALL the time. If the car is in use it doesn't matter, but when sitting in its garage this will flatten a battery quite rapidly.

Most battery warranties specifically exclude damage due to deep discharges (in other words leaving it to go flat) as this causes the lead/calcium paste to fall off the plate grids.

I always plug my Zed into an automatic (ie constant voltage) charger whenever it's in its garage, and after seven and a half years it is like new.

Most people wouldn't dream of neglecting oil changes etc, but batteries usually suffer from terminal neglect, even at the hands of the most fastidious owner who spends lots of money on polish and servicing. Come to think of it - when did YOU last top up your battery?