BMW servicing or Independent servicing?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
MCrozzy

Z4 roadster 2.5i

BMW servicing or Independent servicing?

Post by MCrozzy »

Hi all,

I currently own a 1.9 Z3 but I've just purchased a 2.5i Z4 today, Its gonna be a long weekend before I pick it up Monday! :D .

Anyway back to my question: Does having a BMW service history make much difference to having an independent servicing? Will I lose much money when (or if!) I decide to sell it on in the future?

My Z3 didnt have full BMW history when I got so I wasnt to bothered about then.

Thanks for any of your advice.
khushy

Porsche

I think its 50/50 and depends on how old the car is . . .

Post by khushy »

because when you sell it - its who you are going to sell it to that really makes the difference.

For example - if you were going to chop it in at a dealer then YES it makes a difference - privately - as long as ALL the servicing is done to the man specs then I guess no it doesnt - but where it really makes a difference is IN YOUR OWN POCKET!!!

Find a good indi and they will do a better job than the dealer - dealers are usually only good at new/newish (less than 4 year old) cars that only need basic servcing - when it starts to get technical - thats when the problems start.

Today I booked my car in with a local indi for an oil service £63 incl parts and labour - the dealer wanted £220!!!

Khushy
MCrozzy

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by MCrozzy »

Thanks for reply.

It's not due for a service for a couple months anyway so I've got a bit of time to think about. My have used my local garage for years and I trust the guy not to rip me off and over charge me, unlike the dealerships!.
khushy

Porsche

bear in mind . . .

Post by khushy »

that for regular servicing most Z's are simple pieces of kit - so there is no mystique about them.

They are usually reliable and bullet-proof if looked after properly.

Just cause its got BMW written on it - some people will want to rip you off.

Khushy
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

If the car is still under warranty (i.e. less than 3 years old), then always take it to the $tealer. This is important as I think your service book must be stamped in order for your car warranty to be valid.

For the corrosion warranty (6 years I think) - I think the service book also needs to be stamped for that. This is less important than the car warranty above and its up to you whether you want to keep it up.

Beyond that, do as you please. My personal preference is to take mine to the $tealer, not so much from the point of view of adding value to the car, but because the $tealer I use is actually very good - my dad has been using them very happily for over 25 years! They certainly don't seem to charge "London" prices, and they do exactly what is asked of them, no surprises. I bought my car new from them and they have serviced it ever since. As I don't do many miles, it doesn't amount to an awful lot of servicing. They were also kind enough to store my hardtop FOC for the first few years when it wasn't being used.

One thing to note - if you do use a $tealer - be aware of the 4 Plus scheme - this entitles you to a 10% discount of quite a lot of things when your car is over 4 years old. I don't know that all $tealers participate in this however.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Servicing

Post by johnz3 »

Can anyone recommend a good independent mechanic in the Grays, Basildon, Southend area.
khushy

Porsche

BMW Warranty . . .

Post by khushy »

isnt it the law now that as along as an Indi follows the EXACT manufacturers guidelines for servicing then in the event of a warranty claim - BMW have to honour that claim to its entirity???

Khushy
321bhp

Not specified

hi

Post by 321bhp »

i always use the dealers,if you have a car worth say £12,000-£20,000 i think its best to keep the service book up to date,if you plan to sell the car in a year or so,or maybe after the car is 6 years old go to an indi,

if i was now looking for say an upgrade to the s54m,theres no way id buy the car without full dealer servicing,i know off people who go to an indi,then have the digital milage clocked back,it goes on,

id rather pay the extra and by from bmw.at the end off the day your paying good cash for the car so i want it 100%

with my other cars,they just go to my local garage but they are only worth £2000 odd
if you can offord to pay bmw prices do so,it will save you a big headache somewhere down the line

also please explain to your other half that because you are useing bmw,there birthday and xmas presents will always be from the boot-sale :wink:
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

I agree with 321bhp, an independent does not have the up to date info that the dealers have, I use Dealers, and have always had good service from them. :)
MCrozzy

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by MCrozzy »

Thanks for the advice guys.
Algernon

Z3 roadster 2.8

Not directly BMW but...

Post by Algernon »

There is an bit of an epidemy on Finland with recent Ford's, mainly the problem is with corrosion. When we noticed that our Focus had developed some surface rust I was able to tell the dealer that this is a problem they WILL fix for me (without cost). I'm sure that there would have been a normal song and a dance if I had used other than official Ford dealer.

Besides the local dealer is both fast and within the 10% price range of independents. Some parts have even been cheaper.
oakley6691

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: BMW Warranty . . .

Post by oakley6691 »

khushy wrote:isnt it the law now that as along as an Indi follows the EXACT manufacturers guidelines for servicing then in the event of a warranty claim - BMW have to honour that claim to its entirity???

Khushy
Yes it is and they don't have to use genuine parts, but they must be OE spec.
khushy

Porsche

My car is . . .

Post by khushy »

in an Independant at the moment for an Oil Service + new shocks all round (no punn intended) + new pads etc etc

Should be a bill less than £500 all in!

Khushy
rjinaz85308

Z4 roadster 2.5i

dealer service

Post by rjinaz85308 »

I realize some who hae responded have Z3's which would be older, but for a Z4 wouldn't you have free service for several more years? Or is this something that is only done in the US?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Free service! :roll: Bwahahahah! :roflmao:

US only I'm afraid, and you paid for it in the price of the car.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
rjinaz85308

Z4 roadster 2.5i

dealer service

Post by rjinaz85308 »

I realize some who hae responded have Z3's which would be older, but for a Z4 wouldn't you have free service for several more years? Or is this something that is only done in the US?
rjinaz85308

Z4 roadster 2.5i

freee maint

Post by rjinaz85308 »

I'm sure it is in there, but it is nice to know that everything is covered until April of 2012. Makes it easy to budget.